Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 09-03-2016, 06:39 PM   #1
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Opinions on Onyx Boox C67ML?

HI all,

I'm looing at getting a Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2.

What is your opinion on this ereader?

I'm also interested if anyone knows if the battery can be replaced in the future easily?

Thank you

Larry Clark
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2016, 07:58 PM   #2
Neru
!!!
Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.Neru knows the way to San Jose.

Device: Boox Note 2, Boox i86
Hello,
I've got c67ml without carta but it's pretty much the same aside screen, processor and space. I've got it for about 6 months an here is my impression with it-
Its made from plastic so the back of it is slippery but it is comfortable enough.
Also position of page turn buttons at portait mode feels nice.
Light can be adjusted and turned off/on with long pressing back button but sometimes minimum ligh is just a little bit too bright for me in dark room.
I like that it has android- You can install apps from appstore and also root it and tweak a little or install custom launcher. Some people were compaining that google store stops working but for me it works just fine.
It gets firmware updates every few months.
UI is simplistic but good, You can add app shortcuts at the bottom of homescreen.
It has a2 mode and it helps if You need to manage files and stuff without refreshing screen but it would leave ghost lines.
Sometimes it would freeze (I am always using moonreader and reading pdfs with lot's of zooming so maybie because of it). Because of pdf reading I recharge it about 2 times a week. Battery isn't the best one.
It has audio jack so You can listen to music. Or watch videos in a2 mode if really need to but it eats battery even faster and its only black and white.
As for replacing battery- device opens pretty easy (doesnt have screws) but I haven't seen battery replacement for it yet.
I think thats all about it.
Neru is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-03-2016, 11:24 PM   #3
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
Here is the Onyx forum.
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=220
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:27 PM   #4
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Thread moved to.......YOU GUESSED IT!......the Onyx Boox Forum.

Don
(Moderator)
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2016, 02:20 PM   #5
askyn
Addict
askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.askyn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen)
Just a follow up on this posting / device.

I ended up buying the Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2.

I have been VERY pleased with it over all. I mainly got it for the ability to run Calibre Companion to be able to search my library and select books, while still having the long lasting battery related to eInk displays.

After tweeking things slightly, setting the default reader to use on books etc., I am really enjoying using it.

I think the ONLY downside to it, is inherent eInk technology it self. That is refresh rate if you go on line to find things on the internet. The refresh rate on some websites just isnt there due to the latency of the screen refreshs.

OTHER then that .. for me its almost a perfect device out of the box. I do wish I was able to customize the home screen more. I havent rooted it etc and I am only able to change / add ONE icon for a application to the home screen.

Over all I like it and am glad I bought it.
askyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-20-2016, 07:36 AM   #6
drjd
The Couch Potato
drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drjd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo, Kobo Touch, Archos 9, Onyx Boox C67ML Carta
I am pretty much happy with the TTS feature of Onyx Boox C67ML Carta 2. Well, in fact I bought it to listen to audio books mainly. It's a different story that I still do not find myslef comfortable listening to books instead of reading them. It's my fault, not the audiobooks'.
drjd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 03:26 PM   #7
slkissinger
Connoisseur
slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slkissinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Multiple Kindles, Pocketbook Touch HD3, Kobo Clara HD, Xiaomi InkPalm
I purchased the C67ML Carta2 last week, and am very pleased with it so far.

I did root it (although perhaps I didn't technically need to, since google play is preinstalled). I'm running Nova Launcher as the home screen, but of course I can go run "contentBrowser" (their home page) from NovaLauncher if needed.

I also like to utilize TTS--it's one of the reasons I kept around my old Kindle Keyboard (K3). I was a little concerned at first with the limited Application space. I wanted to download a nicer-to-listen-to voice, "Ivona Text-to-Speech", and the voices take up space. Thankfully, the voice data did download to the "storage card", where there is 6gb+ of available space, not the "App Storage" which; now that I have ES File Explorer, Nova Launcher, Calibre Companion, and Moon Reader Pro; there's only 66mb left there.

Using Moon Reader to read the book using TTS, and the "Amy" UK voice using IVONA, it sounds almost natural--or close enough for me to not cringe at some pronunciations.

For me, this is as close to perfect as I can get, I think.
- I have my entire Calibre book library on the SDCard.
- Calibre Companion can connect to it as a "cloud" (which happens to be local), and Moon reader can read it.
- TTS enabled, and sounds good because of Ivona
- Has a built-in light, so when I do want to actually read at night, I don't have to have a separate light. I also like that a "long press" of the back button (the single button at the bottom) turns the light on/off. another way to save a bit of battery during the day.
- It's wifi, so for those (very few times) when I want to grab a book I don't already have, I could connect to various sources and download a book; and because the device either natively supports it, or MoonReader supports it, the book format type is not a problem.

Nice-to-have's (not SUPER critical... but nice):
- I was able to change the sleep screens to pictures of my choosing.
- since it's Moonreader I usually use, I can pick different fonts if needed.

Can't comment yet on how well the Battery lasts. I've only had it a week; so can't really give a good impression on it.

About the only thing that would be another "nice to have" would be to allow for Bluetooth connectivity -- for TTS; either with a headset or in the car pairing. It's not a big deal of course. Just have to plug in the cord. And I could see having BT enabled could be a battery drain if all else were equal.

Tip for those with a C67ML Carta2. At the top of the screen is that symbol which is either two arrows, <-- --> or it's a plus/minus + - . Perhaps it was obvious to others, but took me some experimentation to figure out that IF you have a book being read to you (TTS), when it's at the +-, the buttons on the left and right increase or decrease volume.

Last edited by slkissinger; 09-20-2016 at 04:24 PM.
slkissinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2016, 10:14 PM   #8
bsnick
Zealot
bsnick began at the beginning.

Device: Onyx M96+, T68+, Max2, YP2, HiSense A2 Pro
I think the <--> and +- was supposed to be a button that changed the physical buttons between pgup/pgdn and volume up/down. The reasoning being that some apps use pgup/pgdn to change pages, and others use volume keys.
bsnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2016, 11:01 AM   #9
hakama
hakama began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PP3
I look for an alternative about Kindle PW 3.

I had Kobo Aura H20 over 30 days, but I did not like the slower browsing than PW3, loss of optical density of 2-3 letters page turns.
Whilе, Kindle PW3 - is retained even after 10-15 pages and more (without refresh), with very good quality (and dark) of the text.
I dislike refresh every 5 pages...
PW3 be refreshed each chapter - 10-20 pages and more

In Aura H2O - I liked it there very evenly / flat (no shadows, Blick) backlight, which in PW3 is worse.

This model of Onyx better you than Kindle PW3 / Aura H2O?

- Optical density after 5 and more pages?
- built-in light - It is equally over the whole area of the screen?
hakama is offline   Reply With Quote