Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 04-25-2016, 06:00 AM   #1
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur
lordofazeroth began at the beginning.

Device: kobo mini and kindle touch
Problem with one book transferred from calibre (azw3 and mobi format)

Hi.

I have an epub ebook in calibre and want to read it on my Kindle Touch.
I converted it to mobi and azw3 and transferred it.

The cover is shown, the book openes on the first page (which is the cover again) but then nothing.
I cannot swipe left nor right.

When I press the power button the screensaver appears. Pressing the button again and the book is there again, but only the first page.

The only way to get out is to long press the power button, then the restart box (cancel, restart, screen off) appears.

This happenes on mobi and azw3. There is no DRM in the book.
I already changed the cover of the epub in calibre and also resized it, but no change.

The book can be viewed perfectely in calibre, all formats.

What is wrong there?
lordofazeroth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:02 PM   #2
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
It sounds like a bad download.
Delete it from the kindle and try again.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-25-2016, 03:17 PM   #3
shalym
Wizard
shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shalym ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PW 1, 2, 3, Voyage, Oasis 2 & 3, Fires, Aura HD, iPad
Did you re-convert after you changed the cover?

Shari
shalym is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 06:51 AM   #4
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

I did redownload it a few times, and copied it onto the device myself (without calibre) - same error.

I did reconvert it after the cover change. Error persists.
Old 04-26-2016, 11:40 AM   #5
Cinisajoy
Just a Yellow Smiley.
Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Cinisajoy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4, K5, fire, kobo, galaxy
In that case,
Reconvert the original file.
Cinisajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-26-2016, 11:52 AM   #6
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
I'd suggest opening the original ePub in calibre's Editor and using the Check Book function to scan the original looking for poor structure. Calibre's ebook viewer is rather fault tolerant and will ride over flaws that can trip up conversion and those present in a flawed conversion, flaws that can cause other readers to choke.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 12:06 PM   #7
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Another thought would be to use Kindle Previewer/KindleGen to convert instead of Calibre to see if the file it produces works any better in this case.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 03:02 PM   #8
lordofazeroth
Connoisseur

Thanks for the answers.

Apparently this ebook is a catastrophe.
With neither previewer nor kindlegen I was able to convert it. Always errors.
I opened the ebook in calibre and checked for errors, only to find one unresolved picture - I deleted it. But the programs still were not able to open it, the kindle was again stuck.

I converted it to docx and then to azw3 and now it seems to be readable at last.