Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 03-04-2016, 09:00 AM   #61
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Hmm. The Nook UK order history only goes back 18 months. And doesn't seem to contain my purchases anyway. They really didn't get anything right when they built this site, did they?

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:02 AM   #62
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by Graham View Post
We got one too. It was my wife's entry into the eInk world after holding out for years. The basic Nook was on offer at a very cheap price. I think she only paid about £25 for it. Graham
I have a Nook Glow, it's now my oldest ereader , still going strong.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 09:03 AM   #63
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Unhappy

Quote:
All the Fictionwise titles that made it across to B&N are in my Nook UK library, along with later purchases, mainly copies of Asimov's Magazine. It's going to be interesting how they handle to transfer to Sainsbury's, but I agree, it will be nice to be able to download without jumping through the hoops.

Except, of course, that Asimov's isn't available at Sainsbury's.

Here we go again.

I've just been reviewing this thread:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...mov%27s&page=6

I think I'm right in thinking that if I subscribe to Asimov's through Amazon I could get it delivered to my wife's Paperwhite (through the library sharing feature) and from there get it transferred out via USB and via the usual route to convert to ePub for my Sony. Is anyone doing this?

Given that Dell are clearly happy to distribute the ePub DRM-free to B&N it's amazing how difficult everyone else makes it for us to read Asimov's in eInk!
I've been using Nook for Asimovs too, have just switched to the Amazon subscription too as I can't find any epub format way to buy it, I don't think Magazines are being transferred across to Sainsburys. I tried the Download to sideload Asimovs a few days ago and much to my surprise it worked fine. I would prefer epub, but I'll cope...
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 09:10 AM   #64
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I've been using Nook for Asimovs too, have just switched to the Amazon subscription too as I can't find any epub format way to buy it, I don't think Magazines are being transferred across to Sainsburys. I tried the Download to sideload Asimovs a few days ago and much to my surprise it worked fine. I would prefer epub, but I'll cope...
Thanks simond. When you say you tried the download to sideload Asimov's was that downloading to a Kindle then taking it off the Kindle and onto another device?

Or downloading to Kindle for PC?

Graham
Old 03-04-2016, 09:15 AM   #65
simond
Fanatic
simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simond ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One, iPad, iPhone
Quote:
Thanks simond. When you say you tried the download to sideload Asimov's was that downloading to a Kindle then taking it off the Kindle and onto another device?

I'm going from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/...ption-settings
Then Actions -> Download & transfer past issue via USB

You do need a genuine Kindle attached to your account for it to work though
simond is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-04-2016, 09:21 AM   #66
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by simond View Post
I'm going from https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/digital/...ption-settings
Then Actions -> Download & transfer past issue via USB

You do need a genuine Kindle attached to your account for it to work though
Thanks. I may have to get my wife to subscribe if the library sharing doesn't work.

EDIT: I've just checked the FAQ and the Family Library features don't include magazines.

Graham

Last edited by Graham; 03-04-2016 at 09:28 AM.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:48 AM   #67
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
You can't send magazines to K4PC for some completely inexplicable reason.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:00 AM   #68
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
I think I'm right in thinking that if I subscribe to Asimov's through Amazon I could get it delivered to my wife's Paperwhite (through the library sharing feature) and from there get it transferred out via USB and via the usual route to convert to ePub for my Sony. Is anyone doing this?
You don't need to actually download to the paperwhite, so long as the paperwhite is registered with the account with the subscription. On the website you can 'download for transfer via USB', which gets you a .azw3 file on your computer. The usual tools can then easily strip the DRM, and calibre will convert to ePub for you.

I am subscribed at Amazon to Analog and Asimov's, and that's how I get mine onto my nook.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:01 AM   #69
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
You can't send magazines to K4PC for some completely inexplicable reason.
Thanks Harry. I've written to Dell explaining the UK situation and asking them to consider another epub outlet.

Graham
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #70
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
asking them to consider another epub outlet.
Or just let us buy them direct! I'd love to not pay a middle man for these subscriptions.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #71
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
You don't need to actually download to the paperwhite, so long as the paperwhite is registered with the account with the subscription. On the website you can 'download for transfer via USB', which gets you a .azw3 file on your computer. The usual tools can then easily strip the DRM, and calibre will convert to ePub for you.
Thanks. So basically if I set up my subscription in my wife's name I should be good to go. (She has no interest in SF at all, so it wouldn't be two of us reading off the one sub.)

Graham
Old 03-04-2016, 10:04 AM   #72
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Thanks. So basically if I set up my subscription in my wife's name I should be good to go. (She has no interest in SF at all, so it wouldn't be two of us reading off the one sub.)

Graham
A detailed answer to that question, Graham, would require getting into areas of discussion that are prohibited on MR. "Perhaps" is the most I can say here.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #73
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Or just let us buy them direct! I'd love to not pay a middle man for these subscriptions.
Absolutely. I suggested that too.

Graham
Old 03-04-2016, 10:05 AM   #74
Graham
Wizard

Quote:
A detailed answer to that question, Graham, would require getting into areas of discussion that are prohibited on MR. "Perhaps" is the most I can say here.
Quite. 'Nuff said.

Graham
Old 03-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #75
auspex
Groupie
auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.auspex ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura, Nexus 5x
Quote:
Sainsbury's is actually a pretty good bookstore. They have very nice deals from time to time.
Yep, just made my first two purchases from there this week. So far, happier with Sainsbury's than I ever was with Kobo...
auspex is offline   Reply With Quote