Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Plugins

Notices

Old 02-16-2020, 07:43 PM   #16
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
To be honest, I don't think the plugin should handle cases where the eBook fails epubcheck. If the plugin fails when the eBook passes epubcheck, sure, fix it. But not if the eBook fails to validate.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2020, 11:08 PM   #17
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, I don't think the plugin should handle cases where the eBook fails epubcheck. If the plugin fails when the eBook passes epubcheck, sure, fix it. But not if the eBook fails to validate.
But, one of the points of ScrambleEbook is to be able to share broken books with others to work out what is wrong with them. And there are plenty of books that fail epubcheck that will work fine on lots of ereaders.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-02-2020, 09:36 AM   #18
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
ScrambleEbook upgrade 0.4.5

• Maintenance upgrade for python3 compatibility.
  • Plugin icon updated to be more visible when using calibre's Dark mode.

Plugin should now work with both calibre current production version (v4.15) and calibre python3 beta versions v4.99.x.

If any problems, please report them here.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:37 PM   #19
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
I notice that some of the metadata in the opf file of an epub does not get scrambled.

Code:
<dc:creator id="id">... ...</dc:creator>
    <dc:identifier>isbn:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>google:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>goodreads:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>amazon:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>kobo:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>calibre:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>uuid:...-...-...-...-...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier id="uid">...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:source id="src-id">urn:isbn:...</dc:source>
    <dc:description>*removed*</dc:description>
    <dc:publisher>... </dc:publisher>
I replaced the unscrambled data with periods myself. But post-scramble, the original data was still there. Maybe this is because it was info that had been inserted by Calibre actions generated by me, at least in some cases? More specifically, the identifiers came when I used the "Edit metadata" window to download the book's metadata

Anyway, I thought I'd point it out. Had I not looked within the file, I'd have unintentionally posted unscrambled identifying data.

I'd vote for scrambling the <dc:description> content instead of removing it, at least if the amount of work is not disproportional to the value of preserving that data.

No need for anyone to do any of this on my account, of course. Mainly I wanted to alert people that opf content may not get scrambled, so be aware.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 03:45 PM   #20
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Not scrambining OPF content is not a problem.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-21-2020, 04:30 PM   #21
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mirage View Post
I notice that some of the metadata in the opf file of an epub does not get scrambled.

Code:
<dc:creator id="id">... ...</dc:creator>
    <dc:identifier>isbn:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>google:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>goodreads:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>amazon:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>kobo:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>calibre:...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier>uuid:...-...-...-...-...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:identifier id="uid">...</dc:identifier>
    <dc:source id="src-id">urn:isbn:...</dc:source>
    <dc:description>*removed*</dc:description>
    <dc:publisher>... </dc:publisher>
I replaced the unscrambled data with periods myself. But post-scramble, the original data was still there. Maybe this is because it was info that had been inserted by Calibre actions generated by me, at least in some cases? More specifically, the identifiers came when I used the "Edit metadata" window to download the book's metadata

Anyway, I thought I'd point it out. Had I not looked within the file, I'd have unintentionally posted unscrambled identifying data.

I'd vote for scrambling the <dc:description> content instead of removing it, at least if the amount of work is not disproportional to the value of preserving that data.

No need for anyone to do any of this on my account, of course. Mainly I wanted to alert people that opf content may not get scrambled, so be aware.
The MR Moderator team decided it would not be necessary to scramble OPF Title, Author or any identifier codes e.g. ISBN, MOBI-ASIN.

They did request that some calibre metadata was removed including calibre custom metadata and description to be on the safe side.

Here are a couple of relevant Mod posts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=63
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=120

If you run the plugin from the commandline there is an option to set stricter rules for metadata removal. In all honesty I'm not sure how many users ever do this.

Last edited by jackie_w; 12-21-2020 at 04:33 PM.
Old 12-21-2020, 04:42 PM   #22
mirage
Zealot
mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mirage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 6 phone, Kobo Clara HD, Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
The MR Moderator team decided it would not be necessary to scramble OPF Title, Author or any identifier codes e.g. ISBN, MOBI-ASIN.

They did request that some calibre metadata was removed including calibre custom metadata and description to be on the safe side.

Here are a couple of relevant Mod posts:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...5&postcount=63
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...&postcount=120

If you run the plugin from the commandline there is an option to set stricter rules for metadata removal. In all honesty I'm not sure how many users ever do this.
Thanks for clarifying this.
mirage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 06:16 PM   #23
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Can I suggest you copy this post to post #2 in this thread.

Curious - what are the options for stricter rules, I don't have the PI installed.

BR
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2020, 07:39 PM   #24
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
Can I suggest you copy this post to post #2 in this thread.
There's already a link to that whole thread in post #1. Nevertheless, I've done as you requested and placed a link to its commandline instructions post in post #2 of this thread.

Quote:
Curious - what are the options for stricter rules, I don't have the PI installed.
This is what you see if you run from the commandline. The 3 asterisked buttons are not visible when run as a plugin via the calibre GUI

The boxes already checked in the [Change rules*] pop-up widget are the default "MR scramble rules".

The [View metadata *] button lets you peek at the OPF's content for <package> tag and <metadata> section, Before vs. After scrambling.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	cli_scramble_rules.jpg
Views:	225
Size:	113.5 KB
ID:	184179  
Old 12-22-2020, 01:16 AM   #25
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I used the old standalone scrambler a bit in calibre 3 times, and I'd forgotten you had to scrap it when calibre 4 was released - I assumed there'd be cmdline options.

There was an inkling of an idea behind wanting know about the options. Looks like if I uncheck everything, except "Remove some descriptive metadata", it might get rid of dc:description, dc:subject and dc:identifiers, but leave the the book unscrambled - which is what I was hoping for.

BR
Old 12-22-2020, 11:57 AM   #26
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I used the old standalone scrambler a bit in calibre 3 times, and I'd forgotten you had to scrap it when calibre 4 was released - I assumed there'd be cmdline options.

There was an inkling of an idea behind wanting know about the options. Looks like if I uncheck everything, except "Remove some descriptive metadata", it might get rid of dc:description, dc:subject and dc:identifiers, but leave the the book unscrambled - which is what I was hoping for.
The main purpose of the CLI these days is to scramble (to MR rules) a book which is just in the OS rather than visible to the calibre GUI. The number of users who actually do this is probably miniscule. The ones who actually also edit the scramble rules - even smaller. As you can see from this thread, there has been a lack of discussion about it in the 5 years since initial launch.

Having said that ... Did you try temporarily installing the plugin and running it from the commandline using a test book with edited scramble rules as per your inkling? Did it give you a modified OPF which you'd be happy with? If so, there is still some standalone residual code in the plugin which could be very simply hacked in your personal copy of the plugin's scrambleebook.py file to permanently remember your new personal scramble rules.

If you want to pursue this then let me know and I can tell you what needs to be done. However, IMHO, if you wanted to go down the hack-an-existing-plugin route I suspect hacking one of Modify Epub's metadata options might be more fruitful, especially if you want to bulk modify OPFs.
Old 12-22-2020, 03:37 PM   #27
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Thanks, I'll install the PI in a portable to see if it behaves as I suggested, but I won't be hacking it or Modify. Hacks and elaborate customisation are yet more clutter I don't need.

Truth is, I will probably continue to do what I do now: delete the superfluous DC metadata (description, subjects etc) with Sigil's metadata editor when I'm doing final edits.

BR
Old 09-05-2021, 05:45 PM   #28
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Unfortunately, due to unexpected issues at home, I am unable to provide any support for this plugin for the forseeable future.

Hopefully the current version will continue to work OK in calibre 5.xx
Old 05-14-2022, 11:04 PM   #29
cyphar
cyphar began at the beginning.

Device: Boox Onyx Note Air
Does there happen to be a GitHub repo I can sent PRs to? I want to add support for CJK scrambling (which should be fairly trivial -- you just have to handle which Unicode blocks are which kind of CJK character and then just pick one from the same block). Since jackie_w said they're unable to work on this for the forseeable future maybe it should be put somewhere where more than one person can try to work on it?
cyphar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2022, 11:16 PM   #30
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Or you can just edit the plugin you've downloaded from here... A plugin is just a zip file of the source code.

Sent from my Pixel 4a using Tapatalk
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote