Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2015, 01:25 PM   #16
gweeks
Fanatic
gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gweeks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Rocket, Nook ST, Kobo WiFi, Kindle PW
Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenMonkey View Post
Didn't help that half the time I went to read instore (I actually had 1-2 times a week to do this for a long time) it would fail and tell me I'd already used my hour.
This is one of the things I really liked when the Nook started. I usually take my kids to the BN once a week or so. I gave up on the read-in-store because it never worked. I even quite bothering to take a Nook with me.

Greg
gweeks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:23 PM   #17
dieterpops
Addict
dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.dieterpops can bend spoons with a thought.

Device: Always in flux
I've never had a problem with reading in store and it's worked for me every time, in multiple B&N stores.
dieterpops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 02:44 PM   #18
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nate says it's 2.8GB of ram not partitioned.
I took my stats from the specs page and it's been changed since then.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 02:59 PM   #19
sakura-panda
Guru
sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sakura-panda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2017 10.5" iPad Pro (Kobo, NOOK, Kindle, Google Play Books & Scribd)
Quote:
Originally Posted by gweeks View Post
This is one of the things I really liked when the Nook started. I usually take my kids to the BN once a week or so. I gave up on the read-in-store because it never worked. I even quite bothering to take a Nook with me.

Greg
Quote:
Originally Posted by dieterpops View Post
I've never had a problem with reading in store and it's worked for me every time, in multiple B&N stores.
I have tried in-store reading too -- I have an HD+ -- but I can't figure out how to turn off the "kids interrupt to show me a book every 10 seconds" feature. I've never been able to read more than a couple of lines (over and over again) during any visit.

A few months ago, we (my kids and I) sampled NOOK and Kindle ebook readers in the stores. All the kids liked the NOOK better. However, I couldn't find any accessories for it and decided B&N must be phasing them out in favor of the Samsung tablets (accessories galore!) and I bought the kids Kindles instead of NOOKs.

I'm glad to see they are bringing a new model, although I won't be buying one -- it's too small for me. I have never liked to read mass paperback book size books and this seems to be about that size. Maybe someday they will make a nice trade paperback book size reader that I can seriously consider. (Seems unlikely, but we all have our dreams. LOL)

I am less bothered by storage and downloadability; while I like the idea of both, in practice I'm unlikely to either fill the memory or return to books that I have squirreled away in Calibre. I'm more interested in the ebook reader itself, and this one looks pretty good, except for the physical size.
sakura-panda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:13 PM   #20
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I took my stats from the specs page and it's been changed since then.
That is where I originally got my stats, too.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2015, 03:19 PM   #21
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
It's not sold outside of the US.
I'll never understand this attitude from B&N. Why not sell it outside the US? Sure, there might not be any B&N stores, but as long as it can read ePubs it can be used with the public library almost anywhere, which gives it a huge advantage over the Kindle.

Edit: Sorry B&N, the article was wrong: when I checked at the B&N website I found they do sell sell outside the US. I should have learned by now never to trust anything in a review.

Last edited by GeoffR; 10-21-2015 at 04:38 PM. Reason: Article was wrong
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:24 PM   #22
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgaiser View Post
Yeah... B&N lost me when they made life difficult for their customers. B&N will never get another dollar from me.
Me too.
Apache
Apache is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:29 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Nate says it's 2.8GB of ram not partitioned.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
That is where I originally got my stats, too.
My bad

My apologies, I got it wrong. I went searching and discovered that I took the stats from the GlowLight and not the GlowLight Plus. So I'm glad they jettisoned the Nook partition.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:54 PM   #24
fbrII
F. BluDevil
fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fbrII ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad3 pro, Kobo Libra, Kindle Paperwhite
First Impressions

I went and looked at the new Glowlight Plus at my local B&N store, so take this with a grain of salt, it is not a review, just my impressions looking at an actual physical unit at the store. For those of you who don't have access to a local store and are considering buying via the internet, it may prove helpful.

I was favourably impressed with the appearance of the unit. The lighting was very even and the text very crisp. A big improvement over the last generation Glowlight. Overall very comparable to a Kindle Voyage which I brought to the store so I could see both units side by side. The background is a little whiter on the Voyage but I did not see any issues with the screen or the lighting that would deter me from buying the unit. Physically the unit is both thin and light again comparable to a Voyage. I believe it weighs slightly more that a Voyage but again felt about the same in my hands. I thought the unit was physically attractive, more so that my Voyage, but then I like the white case.

The unit was responsive, no lags etc. The software seemed very basic, change font size, line spacing, margins etc., did not notice anything out of the ordinary.

Overall it looked to me like Barnes & Noble has a very respectable ereader with the Glowlight Plus with a lot of nice features at a good price. I'm on the fence right now. If the memory is not partitioned then I could be strongly tempted.

If you are a B&N reader and are considering upgrading over a previous Nook e-reader my guess is that you would be very pleased with the Glowlight + the screen resolution and lighting are significant improvements over the previous Glowlight model.

Last edited by fbrII; 10-21-2015 at 04:13 PM.
fbrII is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 03:55 PM   #25
soulfuldog
I ♥ Calibre
soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.soulfuldog ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Voyage, Sony PRS-350, Hudl2
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffR View Post
I'll never understand this attitude from B&N. Why not sell it outside the US? Sure, there might not be any B&N stores, but as long as it can read ePubs it can be used with the public library almost anywhere, which gives it a huge advantage over the Kindle.
Well they did try to branch out by selling the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Glowlight in the UK, but I don't think it worked well for them. Shops that stocked them eventually got rid of all their stock but only by selling the NST for £29 and the GlowLight for £49 (originally £79 & £109). Not sure of the second generation GlowLight at £89 did much better when they released it last year, despite it being cheaper than the competition at that time.
soulfuldog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #26
Fbone
Is that a sandwich?
Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Fbone ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Glowlight Plus
This site has quite a few hands-on photos.

http://www.technobuffalo.com/2015/10...-metal-design/
Fbone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:10 PM   #27
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
My bad

My apologies, I got it wrong. I went searching and discovered that I took the stats from the GlowLight and not the GlowLight Plus. So I'm glad they jettisoned the Nook partition.
Don't worry about it. The page for the Plus was wrong.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:19 PM   #28
GeoffR
Wizard
GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffR ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
Well they did try to branch out by selling the Nook Simple Touch and Nook Glowlight in the UK, but I don't think it worked well for them. Shops that stocked them eventually got rid of all their stock but only by selling the NST for £29 and the GlowLight for £49 (originally £79 & £109). Not sure of the second generation GlowLight at £89 did much better when they released it last year, despite it being cheaper than the competition at that time.
Actually is looks like the article was wrong, they are selling outside the US. I just logged onto B&N and they they would ship this to New Zealand.
GeoffR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:23 PM   #29
Josieb1
Grand Sorcerer
Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Josieb1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Libra2, Clara 2e, Kindle PW SE & Kindle 2022
Quote:
Originally Posted by soulfuldog View Post
I got my Nook Glowlight for £49 from John Lewis and the case for £5 direct from Nook. Two years now and still going strong. I specifically wanted buttons.
Josieb1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 04:24 PM   #30
Barty
doofus
Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barty ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kindle Voyage
Looks nice and good price. I'll drop in a B&N and check it out.

2.8G is more than total memory of my PW2 which still has plenty of space, so it's no problem. I don't like aluminum back, though. Slide city. I don't want to use a cover because I want maximum thinness and lightness.

Since I'm not submersible myself, the waterproofing is pretty useless to me. But maybe it is more rugged as a result.

Depending on how good the screen is, this could be the best bang for my e-reader buck. I don't care about the ecosystem as I'm so used to sideloading anyway (thank you Alf and Kovid).

Anyway it is encouraging to see B&N hasn't rolled over and played dead.
Barty is offline   Reply With Quote