Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 08-20-2015, 11:50 AM   #1
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kobo Forma, H2O v1, Aura HD
Question H2O IR sometimes not waking up

For some official firmware releases for the Kobo H2O I seldom experience my H2O to not react to any display touch after wake-up. Opening and closing the sleep cover properly awakens or sends the device to sleep. The power button also works correctly, awakening my H2O or putting it to sleep again. Yet the IR touch doesn't awake even if I send the reader back to sleep and then wake it up again. The only working solution is to reboot the H2O, this brings back normal IR touch reaction. I don't notice any other errartic IR behavior, luckily.

Anyone else experiencing these sporadic, but luckily rare, IR touch outages? I've never seen anything like that mentioned here, but maybe no-one ever bothered to bring up this rare topic?

Firmware is currently at 3.17.3, sideloaded. I've seen this problems also with 3.17.0 as well as at least two or so previous firmwares; I've only upgraded to those firmwares that there actually released for the H2O. No patches installed. Almost stock configuration, with the exception that the option for showing the "hiding headers/footers" option is enabled, but I have disabled the option itself -- due to the well-known problems with kebups.
eenk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #2
frostschutz
Linux User
frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frostschutz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Not me.

If you open the sketchpad (settings -> beta features). can you play tic tac toe on it, ie can you draw circles or X in every region of the screen, thus is the screen fully functional and no obstructions or dead zones anywhere?

I don't have any patches, but various mods and full screen reading enabled in the settings. Water drop detection is off.

I'm not usually reading KEPUB though, so if this happens only in the KEPUB reader, that might be it
frostschutz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 12:33 PM   #3
eenk
*carrier lost*
eenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refresheseenk can read faster than his screen refreshes

No dead regions; either IR works fully without problems or not at all. It's rare enough to be a real problem and it doesn't seem to be (at least at surface value) to be an individual device hardware issue, as it doesn't seem to appear more often lately. It's just now and then, so to me that looks like some rare software race condition not properly configuring the hardware after wakeup.

Yes, drop detection is off here too.
Old 08-20-2015, 02:40 PM   #4
s4nder
Connoisseur
s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.s4nder ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
I've also experienced it twice with 3.17.3, never before that.
s4nder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2015, 08:06 PM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
This happened with the first Aura H2O I had. The bit that really had me baffled was that the touch would work if the sleep was very short. And "very short" was less than 20 seconds. I did all the things I could think of (factory reset and upgrade, factory reset but not upgrade, fiddle with options, enabled telnet and played there) but nothing helped. When I talked to Kobo, they decided it was a faulty device and I headed back to the shop and had it replaced.

The one thing I don't know is if this happened out of the box. I noticed it the second night I had the H2O, but, I was doing so much mucking around with it, that this could have been happening earlier and I just hadn't left it alone long enough to trigger the problem.

A problem like this can sometimes be fixed by doing a factory reset and upgrade directly to the latest firmware. This will gives the cleanest install of the code possible and means there is little risk of things being left behind that shouldn't be there. You can also do a factory reset and not upgrade to check that it is the new firmware and was not there from the start.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-20-2015, 10:00 PM   #6
compurandom
Guru
compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.compurandom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo aura h2o, kobo forma
I'm on 3.15 and I've noticed the IR not working on wakeup a handful of times.
Usually putting it back to sleep and waking it up is enough to fix it, sometimes a full power cycle is necessary.

I've suspected it might be caused by a section of the screen registering a touch at wakeup (like maybe dirt or a drop of moisture or oil on the screen or something) but it doesn't happen frequently enough for me to diagnose it.
compurandom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2015, 07:34 PM   #7
milady133
Groupie
milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.milady133 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Hisense A5
This happens sometimes with my Mini, not immediately after opening the sleepcover, but after having spent some time reading. I have to power off and on again to have the screen back to normal, setting it to sleep doesn't fix it.
milady133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2015, 02:41 PM   #8
eenk
*carrier lost*

Interestingly, I had so far no more such IR freezes since my upgrade to 3.17.3. Judging from past experience I should have seen a handful of them.