Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Feedback

Notices

Old 02-08-2015, 03:10 PM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Banning animated avatars

I find animated avatars to be annoying. I know I'm not the only one who find animated avatars annoying.

So in the interest of making MR more user friendly, would it be possible to ban animated avatars and bring peace and order to MR? Thanks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 03:16 PM   #2
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
See the previous discussion: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=255668

Also note that the official guidelines permit (but discourage) animated avatars. I can only assume there was a reason for that.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2015, 03:35 PM   #3
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
They don't bother me in the slightest. Let them be, I say.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 04:02 PM   #4
arjaybe
Wizard
arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.arjaybe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650
In Firefox you can go into about:config and set image.animation_mode to once.
arjaybe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 08:40 PM   #5
murg
No Comment
murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: Not just an eReader, it's an adventure!
We may not want to disable animated gifs on all sites...
murg is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-08-2015, 10:48 PM   #6
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by murg View Post
We may not want to disable animated gifs on all sites...
I'm nt advocating disabling animated smileys. Just animated avatars.
Old 02-08-2015, 10:56 PM   #7
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
@JSWolf: murg meant that IF he selected that option in Firefox, it would disable animation wherever he went; not just at MR on Avatars.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2015, 11:02 PM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
@JSWolf: murg meant that IF he selected that option in Firefox, it would disable animation wherever he went; not just at MR on Avatars.
That option is one you have to go into the config, set and then when you want it off, reset. It's just too inconvenient.
Old 02-09-2015, 01:03 AM   #9
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
I find animated avatars to be annoying. I know I'm not the only one who find animated avatars annoying.
I find some of those avatars annoying. I also strongly dislike some "counters" people sometimes have in their signatures.

I also have adblock installed.
Right click avatar you do not like, select "adblock picture", select whether you want to block the entire domain with counters, or just single avatar, and BAM! This was the last you saw that avatar/graphics/add/whatever. No need to block it for everyone.

Last edited by kacir; 02-09-2015 at 05:49 AM. Reason: edited typo, I had "said avatar" instead of "saw avatar"
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 01:39 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by kacir View Post
I find some of those avatars annoying. I also strongly dislike some "counters" people sometimes have in their signatures.

I also have adblock installed.
Right click avatar you do not like, select "adblock picture", select whether you want to block the entire domain with counters, or just single avatar, and BAM! This was the last you said that avatar/graphics/add/whatever. No need to block it for everyone.
But if I'm not using one of my computers to access MR, I'll still see the animated avatars should I happen upon them. So banning them assures that they don't bother anyone. Heck, I've had one avatar that I used that I thought was harmless that someone PMed me about and I changed it because it was the polite thing to do.

People that use animated avatars are not thinking of others. If they were, they would use static avatars.
Old 02-09-2015, 04:41 AM   #11
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
The moderators feel that the current guidelines are sufficient.

"Animated avatars are discouraged but permitted. Excessively flashy or annoying animated avatars may be deleted."

I think I know which avatar is annoying people at the moment, and in due course it will be deleted.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 07:14 AM   #12
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I don't recall ever seeing an animated avatar. What I find annoying are signatures, so I block them.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 08:32 AM   #13
Bilbo1967
Not scared!
Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bilbo1967 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 10, Huawei M5 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I don't recall ever seeing an animated avatar. What I find annoying are signatures, so I block them.
But what if you're not using one of your computers to access MR? You might, shock horror, see the signatures!

What you need to do is moan mercilessly about them (because there is no difference between your opinion and fact after all) until the mods cave in and ban them.

Last edited by Bilbo1967; 02-09-2015 at 08:37 AM.
Bilbo1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:21 AM   #14
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bilbo1967 View Post
But what if you're not using one of your computers to access MR? You might, shock horror, see the signatures!

What you need to do is moan mercilessly about them (because there is no difference between your opinion and fact after all) until the mods cave in and ban them.
I don't access MR from a mobile device.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2015, 09:30 AM   #15
Rizla
Member Retired
Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rizla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR (rooted) & Sony T2
Personally I can deal with them if they are not super conspicuous, but I don't see why people have to have them. They add little. Ban them.
Rizla is offline   Reply With Quote