Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-24-2015, 08:04 PM   #1
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PaperWhite 5,iPhone 13, IPad, MacBook Air
Tired of everytime I install calibre or do an update

Everytime I do an update for windows I get all kinds of trojans, adware. It only happens when do update of calibre.
cvkemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:09 PM   #2
BWinmill
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by cvkemp View Post
Everytime I do an update for windows I get all kinds of trojans, adware. It only happens when do update of calibre.
Are you downloading calibre from http://calibre-ebook.com/
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 08:20 PM   #3
cvkemp
Loving life
cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cvkemp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes I am. Also I am use windows 64 bit version.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:32 PM   #4
jgaiser
Omnivorous
jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jgaiser ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Fire HD, Kindle 3, KPW1
Is your antivirus program reporting calibre as a trojan/virus? Because of those antivirus programs are a *little* over rambunctious in their reporting. If you are actually downloading from calibre-ebook.com and not from some third party, the program is clean.

See:
http://manual.calibre-ebook.com/faq....a-virus-trojan
jgaiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:39 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
If you are downloading from the official Calibre site then you aren't getting infected by Calibre.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-24-2015, 08:42 PM   #6
cvkemp
Loving life

Well this is a new windows install of the os and calibre is the first site I have been to other than opening the browser which goes to google. This has happened to me 5 times before. I am always getting some kind of adware.
Old 01-24-2015, 08:53 PM   #7
gbm
Wizard
gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gbm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD,Hisence Sero 7 Pro RIP, Nook STR, jetbook lite
Quote:
Well this is a new windows install of the os and calibre is the first site I have been to other than opening the browser which goes to google. This has happened to me 5 times before. I am always getting some kind of adware.
My advice to you is to download Malwarebites, sounds like you have a possible rootkit.

luck:
bernie
gbm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 08:56 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Watch where you click (on many sites), there are big download buttons via paid ads that support the site.

The one you want is just a LINK in the Center above the Yellow Support Calibre Button. Any place to the right is an AD
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 09:02 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I'm using Adblock Edge with Firefox and Ghostry. I get no ads on the Calibre website. No ads means no dodgy ads served up. Some ads served can contain junk in them. On another forum, Google said there was a risk to use the site because of some dodgy ads being served. So if you don't use MSIE and you do use proper protection, you'll be good to go.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:08 PM   #10
cvkemp
Loving life

I know what to download. There are issues with that site and adware I just did a test by disabling Java Sponsors in my registry and now the website will not even fully load. The adware on that site is so in control that anytime you download calibre you are also downloading the adware and it is installing right along with calibre.
Sorry folks but I am an IT professional and I have my ways of find this out.
Old 01-24-2015, 09:22 PM   #11
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
I know what to download. There are issues with that site and adware I just did a test by disabling Java Sponsors in my registry and now the website will not even fully load. The adware on that site is so in control that anytime you download calibre you are also downloading the adware and it is installing right along with calibre.
How about naming the programs being installed. Is the hook being set into IE?
I know how to use Regedit, Process explorer

AVG and Malwarebytes find nothing
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 10:08 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
I went to Calibre's website with an unprotected MSIE. I downloaded the latest version of Calibre and I installed it. I did NOT get a virus or malware. THERE IS NOTHING WRONG WITH CALBRE'S WEBSITE!
Old 01-24-2015, 11:04 PM   #13
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
What nonsense. There are no trojans of any kind in calibre or its website. If you are convinced otherwise, I suggest you stop using calibre, no one is forcing you to do so.
kovidgoyal is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:28 PM   #14
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
The adware on that site is so in control that anytime you download calibre you are also downloading the adware and it is installing right along with calibre.
You obviously aren't downloading from calibre's site. For the last 6 years I have downloaded and installed virtually every update of calibre from calibre's site and I never once had any adware installed on my machine.

Quote:
Just because you're an "IT professional" doesn't mean you're qualified to analyze a personal computer. If you are having adware installed it is time to look closer (local network, images or backups you're using etc...) because the adware isn't coming from any of calibre's download pages.
DoctorOhh is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2015, 11:43 PM   #15
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I think I've downloaded and installed every release of calibre for the last three years. I have never seen any adware attached to it.

The ads on the right side of the page have always been there and occasionally there is something that looks like a download link for calibre. This as gotten people into trouble. The ads on the page are from Google. I have no idea how that would relate the "Java Sponsors". I would have expected them to be completely separate, though maybe it uses Google for ads.

Can you post the actual link that the page has for the download? Or a screenshot of the page. This is to confirm to us that the link is getting to you correctly and the page is displaying as we are seeing it.

And I am also an IT professional. I've spent far to much time fixing problems where the user "hasn't changed anything" or "How could clicking on a link do that". And that includes PCs owned by other "IT professionals".
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote