Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 05-28-2008, 03:37 PM   #1
Over
Wizard
Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Over ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Samsung Galaxy Note Pro 12.2", OnePlus 6
Download Hal Spacejock - Free!

Download Hal Spacejock, by Simon Haynes - Free!
"Fast, funny, quirky, enthralling comedy adventure" Tom Holt

The Hal Spacejock series is published by Fremantle Press & distributed by Penguin Australia

You can get it and find out more about it here:

http://www.spacejock.com.au/Hal1Download.html

Last edited by Over; 05-28-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Over is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 04:18 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Thanks, just downloaded it.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-28-2008, 04:42 PM   #3
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Thanks for the link.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2008, 08:42 PM   #4
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
OH boy free books, thanks
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:02 AM   #5
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
EDIT:

Last edited by Spellbot 5000; 05-29-2008 at 04:02 PM.
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-29-2008, 08:49 AM   #6
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
EDIT because the thread is getting so long:

I just came up with a way to describe the humour: It's Spinal Tap, not Spaceballs.

As per the thread title, you can still get a review copy here: http://www.spacejock.com.au/Hal1Download.html

Last edited by Spacejock; 08-20-2011 at 10:58 AM. Reason: added info re Hal 2-4 ebooks
Spacejock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:48 PM   #7
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Spacejock, I downloaded your book then converted it to .lrf for my Sony reader. Was that okay to do?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 12:51 PM   #8
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
i get the impression that he wants to keep track of how many downloads there are, which is why it's not good to have copies available elsewhere, but probably format shifting for your own personal use is fine with him.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 04:01 PM   #9
Spellbot 5000
Connoisseur
Spellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enoughSpellbot 5000 will become famous soon enough

Device: Cybook Gen3
fffff
Spellbot 5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2008, 07:42 PM   #10
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
What I'll do is make up a PRC file and add it to the zip on the spacejock.com.au site. I nearly did so last night, although I was trying to keep the file size down.

If you could remove this copy from your forum I'd appreciate it. My publisher asks that people don't serve up their own copies of the book. (They're just trying to make sure everyone downloads the 'official' version, but I appreciate your helping out.)

BTW, anyone else here use a Treo 650 for ebooks?

Cheers
Simon
Nope on the Treo 650. But I'm using my heavily-modded Netronix EB-100 (a hardware and OS clone of the Cybook Gen3) to read it in Mobipocket's .prc format! And get your publisher to get with the program and offer all of them via Baen Books!!! I can hardly wait to read all of them on my Cybook and EB-100!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 03:20 AM   #11
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
They already sell via Dymocks in Oz, and Dymocks already sell ebooks. Strangely, none of Simon's ones...
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 05:10 AM   #12
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter
Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Spacejock ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
i get the impression that he wants to keep track of how many downloads there are, which is why it's not good to have copies available elsewhere, but probably format shifting for your own personal use is fine with him.
Absolutely right. I'm tracking downloads, and the higher the count the more excited my publisher will be about the whole 'giving it away free' concept. No problem with format shifting for your own use though.

The second part of the equation is word of mouth. People talking about the books, reviewing them, blogging about them, etc. You can't buy word of mouth ... all any writer can do is put out the best book they can and hope people discover & enjoy it.

Cheers
Simon
Old 05-30-2008, 05:11 AM   #13
Spacejock
Hal Spacejock & yWriter

Quote:
Originally Posted by moz View Post
They already sell via Dymocks in Oz, and Dymocks already sell ebooks. Strangely, none of Simon's ones...
Dymocks Australia is selling an encrypted PDF version of Hal 1 for ... $23.95. That's one of the reasons I worked so hard to convince my publisher that 'free' was a better pricing point for ebooks.
Old 05-30-2008, 05:18 AM   #14
moz
Addict
moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.moz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo H2O
Yeah, Dymocks is a bit of a sick joke as far as pricing goes. I'd happily pay you for ebooks if that was an option, but paying Dymocks $24 to rent a copy for a while... pull the other one.
moz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2008, 12:09 PM   #15
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by Spacejock View Post
Dymocks Australia is selling an encrypted PDF version of Hal 1 for ... $23.95. That's one of the reasons I worked so hard to convince my publisher that 'free' was a better pricing point for ebooks.
I know Cory Doctorow is quoting someone else, but I think he's got it right in his latest, "Little Brother" - it isn't piracy that's the problem, it's obscurity. Amazon boasts of having over 100,000 titles; eReader.com and Fictionwise are each claiming around 30,000 titles. In all that congestion, it's hard enough to find new works by authors I *do* like. And if it's a new author which - for whatever reason - these sites don't 'promote' on their main page, there's a good chance I won't hear about them. Add in dealing with an absurd ebook format such as PDF and the publisher and author can kiss a sale to me "goodbye".

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote