Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 09-16-2014, 04:58 PM   #361
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atunah View Post
Thanks, google to the rescue. Got that send off. But looking at the screenshot, it doesn't look as much space on each side than it does on the device itself, it looks narrower. That is why I gave them the measurements too.
I'll add it here to show what I mean.

Funny thing is I had to retake the screenshot as I realized it had a um, steamy part on it.
I'll update my Nexus 7 when I get home to see if the margins changed on mine too.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:02 PM   #362
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1/K3/BasicK Voyage/Oasis1/Oasis3
Is this just in my head or are the strange hyphenations in this new version. When you look at my screenshot, 5 lines down you see at end

could-
n't

That looks just odd to me. They are all like that

ac-
cept

Har-
grave

etc, has that always been like this and I am just wound up now?
Atunah is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-16-2014, 05:04 PM   #363
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Is this just in my head or are the strange hyphenations in this new version. When you look at my screenshot, 5 lines down you see at end

could-
n't

That looks just odd to me. They are all like that

ac-
cept

Har-
grave

etc, has that always been like this and I am just wound up now?
Hyphenations was supposed to be one of the 'improvements'
Old 09-16-2014, 05:06 PM   #364
Atunah
Wizard
Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Atunah ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I guess I never gave them a thought before, I don't think I like it. Bad enough with the narrow text. Just looks funny with most words. I don't think other reader apps do that. I know some have asked for hyphenations. I haven't read a paper book in so long that I don't even know how its handled there.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:14 PM   #365
Atunah
Wizard

And thanks to a kind soul, I have my normal margins back and none of that hyphen stuff. I am going to put screenshots of the before and after here. I hope I have it on the same size text. I tried to go to the same text, but I think it will flow differently.

So before (3.6.2) is on the left, after (3.7) is on the right.

And can someone please tell me where on my Nexus I can check to make sure apps don't update automatically. Scribd didn't so far, but I just want to make sure. Is that a setting in the play store? I can't find it on the device itself. Thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-16 21.11.27.png
Views:	189
Size:	380.0 KB
ID:	128449   Click image for larger version

Name:	2014-09-16 20.42.56.png
Views:	197
Size:	326.5 KB
ID:	128450  

Last edited by Atunah; 09-16-2014 at 05:19 PM.
Advert
Old 09-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #366
gabby98
Wizard
gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.gabby98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Android, Nook Simple Touch, Nook Color, ..., Glo
huge improvement...glad you got it back
gabby98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:25 PM   #367
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
And thanks to a kind soul, I have my normal margins back and none of that hyphen stuff. I am going to put screenshots of the before and after here. I hope I have it on the same size text. I tried to go to the same text, but I think it will flow differently.

So before (3.6.2) is on the left, after (3.7) is on the right.

And can someone please tell me where on my Nexus I can check to make sure apps don't update automatically. Scribd didn't so far, but I just want to make sure. Is that a setting in the play store? I can't find it on the device itself. Thanks.
In settings menu on the Play app. I have mine turned off. Send both shots to Scribd and tell them we need a way to turn hyphenation off. It should optional not all books work well with it.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 05:34 PM   #368
Atunah
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
In settings menu on the Play app. I have mine turned off. Send both shots to Scribd and tell them we need a way to turn hyphenation off. It should optional not all books work well with it.
Okay, I made sure it says do not automatically update there. But the Scribd app didn't auto anyway, now I'll just wipe the notification off.

I can't read comfortably with this new version, in addition to the margins, the hyphenation is horrible to me. I hadn't been reading since the update as I have the Nexus on a charger, so I didn't notice that right away.

I hope there is no long term issue with using an older version for a subscription. I don't know what I'll do if I can't use this one anymore.

I send both screenshots to Scribd and also mentioned the Hyphenation. But I guess people asked for that and they thought they gave us what we wanted. But it really doesn't read nice.

Oh, I also put a link to this thread in the email.
Old 09-16-2014, 05:49 PM   #369
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Okay, I made sure it says do not automatically update there. But the Scribd app didn't auto anyway, now I'll just wipe the notification off.

I can't read comfortably with this new version, in addition to the margins, the hyphenation is horrible to me. I hadn't been reading since the update as I have the Nexus on a charger, so I didn't notice that right away.

I hope there is no long term issue with using an older version for a subscription. I don't know what I'll do if I can't use this one anymore.

I send both screenshots to Scribd and also mentioned the Hyphenation. But I guess people asked for that and they thought they gave us what we wanted. But it really doesn't read nice.

Oh, I also put a link to this thread in the email.
People also asked for justified text and they made all books that way. I guess they never heard of making things optional?
Old 09-16-2014, 06:03 PM   #370
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
People also asked for justified text and they made all books that way. I guess they never heard of making things optional?
Many companies are now doing that, shoving "improvements" down everyone's throat, since some vocal people asked for it, all the silent majority must have wanted it, right?

It does make the code base slightly smaller, as well as saves one entire BIT in both memory and storage, not to make it optional.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:17 PM   #371
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Many companies are now doing that, shoving "improvements" down everyone's throat, since some vocal people asked for it, all the silent majority must have wanted it, right?

It does make the code base slightly smaller, as well as saves one entire BIT in both memory and storage, not to make it optional.
It seems the day for bad updates. Hubby KF just update to the latest Tune In Pro and it crashes and wont play. I had to put on a old version from 2012 which I think I like better than the next interface anyway he's happy now.

The lesson is back up before upgrading if you can. I know on paid apps without rooting you can't on Newer Android devices and they now are blocking older ones too. I find some apps backup on Gingerbread wont work on KitKat and vice versa.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:35 PM   #372
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

I just updated my Nexus 7 and it looks worse there too. My previous screen print was my phone. The margins are larger and they seem to have a problem with the last page on a line now too. The last line has only three words and the continuation on the next page shows a couple of those should have been on the previous page.

Here's both pages before the update:

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410906919453.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	128453Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410906919453.jpg
Views:	193
Size:	132.9 KB
ID:	128453
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410906937972.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	171.1 KB
ID:	128454  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:37 PM   #373
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Oops. Hit submit. And here's both pages after the update Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410907024963.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	128456Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410907024963.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	131.0 KB
ID:	128456
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1410907037026.jpg
Views:	169
Size:	152.0 KB
ID:	128457  
Old 09-16-2014, 06:53 PM   #374
Manabi
Wizard
Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Manabi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Galaxy S22
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post

I tend to avoid companies who take the "we know how you want to use this better than you do" approach. Apple is bad about that, I curse at iTunes on a regular basis and hate to update it because they like to remove features, but I can't get smart playlists in anything else that work as well.

It's pretty stupid nowadays to act that way though, and especially for reading where everyone reads better in different ways (font selection, font size, left aligned/full aligned, black on white, white on black, black on brown, etc.) Cutting out options is basically telling part of your potential customers you hate them and they should go elsewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
It seems the day for bad updates. Hubby KF just update to the latest Tune In Pro and it crashes and wont play. I had to put on a old version from 2012 which I think I like better than the next interface anyway he's happy now.

The lesson is back up before upgrading if you can. I know on paid apps without rooting you can't on Newer Android devices and they now are blocking older ones too. I find some apps backup on Gingerbread wont work on KitKat and vice versa.
Oh God, TuneIn Radio Pro's latest versions are just HIDEOUS. They should shoot whoever thought that radio stations should be treated like social media. I also use an older version pre-social-crappified. Hell, they even though it was smart to not make it possible to exit the app when they first redesigned. Then people were utterly outraged and they quickly backtracked and added that back in.

At least they listen though, I installed CameraZoom on my new Galaxy S4 and it won't work. I E-mailed support (I have a paid version of the app, not free) and they never replied. Guess what developer I'll never buy anything from ever again?

Back on topic, I have to say the Scribd app looks worse in the screenshots of the new version than it did before.
Manabi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2014, 06:55 PM   #375
Atunah
Wizard

Hold on to your apk's everyone. I got a response and it doesn't look like at least in near future it will change. This is part of what I got back.
Quote:
Ok thank you for those screen shots. This is definitely a feature that I don't believe will be removed; however, you may be able to shrink the margins by shrinking the text size. Additionally I can always pass along the suggestion of customizable margin sizing and spacing to our product team for future releases.

I apologize for the inconvenience here. Please let me know if you need anything else. Thanks again for writing in, and have a great day!
I assume the feature they won't remove is the hyphens and even if I could make the font larger, I tried, it doesn't make the margins smaller. I can't read with smaller font anyway, so that is a moot point. This is as small as I can go.

Since this is a paid subscription and the app is listed as an account on the Nexus, is it possible that at some point the older app wont work anymore with their account stuff and whatever they are using to protect the books from piracy? I sure hope not. I have to hold on to 3.6.2 and hope that they will fix this in the future. Us few can't be the only ones having issues here.

Wonder if the apple app is also messed up like this. I don't have a ithingy so I can't check.