Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 03-29-2024, 06:59 PM   #37141
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
(hugs)
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 01:59 AM   #37142
neil_swann80
neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neil_swann80 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB632 [HD3]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I've had multiple pets for many years, but this is the first time all three of them fell ill at the same time. What a piece of bad luck.
I lost my pups (I'd had them both for 14 years from 10 weeks old) 5 weeks apart. It broke me. It's been two years and it still hurts. I miss seeing my little doglets waiting to greet me at the bottom of the stairs, tails wagging like little helicopters.

It does hurt, but it's the deal we knowingly make to have fur-babies (with their unfairly short lifespans) in our lives. I hope you're doing ok Sirtel.

Last edited by neil_swann80; 03-30-2024 at 04:07 AM.
neil_swann80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 05:57 AM   #37143
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by neil_swann80 View Post
I lost my pups (I'd had them both for 14 years from 10 weeks old) 5 weeks apart. It broke me. It's been two years and it still hurts. I miss seeing my little doglets waiting to greet me at the bottom of the stairs, tails wagging like little helicopters.
That must have been awful. My heartfelt sympathies to you.

I've lost two cats within a year before, and my sister lost her two doggies also within a year (one of them wasn't even all that old, but he had serious complications from diabetes), but not within weeks.

It hurts, yes. But as you said, there's nothing to be done. It is as it is. Unless one adopts a Greenland shark as a pet, those are said to live for several hundred years (yes, literally). Then of course the problem would be reversed - the shark would have to lose its humans many times over.
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 05:34 PM   #37144
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
That must have been awful. My heartfelt sympathies to you.

I've lost two cats within a year before, and my sister lost her two doggies also within a year (one of them wasn't even all that old, but he had serious complications from diabetes), but not within weeks.

It hurts, yes. But as you said, there's nothing to be done. It is as it is. Unless one adopts a Greenland shark as a pet, those are said to live for several hundred years (yes, literally). Then of course the problem would be reversed - the shark would have to lose its humans many times over.
Hmmm...not sure, as long as the kibble kept up, if the Shark would really care.

If it did, and if you did (caring gets complicated here, keeping a pet that would eat you), you'd have the parrot/turtle/?? A situation where you have to obsess about who will take over the animal's care when you're gone.

It's hard enough--believe me, I know--making arrangements with people you can trust to be the caretakers for your extant "normal" pets (cats, dogs, horses, hamsters, lizards and the such); you could never dead-hand from the grave to control who gets Bruce the Shark, 100 years after you're dead.

I would...it would slay me, not being able to be SURE that the animal would get the kind of care I would give it. It drives me crazy NOW, and I know the people that I've appointed in my will for this. Sheesh.

Great. Now, I'm gonna worry about Bruce. FFS.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2024, 10:04 PM   #37145
mlewis78
Guru
mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mlewis78 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2 (7"); HDX 8.9"; Ipad2
I am sorry, Sirtel.
mlewis78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-30-2024, 10:36 PM   #37146
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Hmmm... with a gestation period of 8-18 years, Greenland sharks make an elephant look like it pops out babies rapidly.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 12:23 AM   #37147
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Some species of jelly fish create clones when they die.
BetterRed is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 02:21 AM   #37148
Comfy.n
want to learn what I want
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Calibre E-book viewer
Tardigrades are microscopic eight-legged animals that have been to outer space and would likely survive the apocalypse. Bonus: They look like adorable miniature bears.
Comfy.n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:05 AM   #37149
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
Tardigrades are microscopic eight-legged animals that have been to outer space and would likely survive the apocalypse. Bonus: They look like adorable miniature bears.
Unfortunately you can't see them without a magnification device, as the largest are still only 1mm tall. And the individual lifespan is pretty short as well, no more than 2 years, unless they go dormant (then they can last up to 30 years, which is still much shorter than an average human).

But they're adorable, yes.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:11 AM   #37150
Comfy.n
Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Comfy.n ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

yeah, I hadn't looked up their lifespan, but I liked that "survive the apocalypse" bit
Old 03-31-2024, 04:18 AM   #37151
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Comfy.n View Post
yeah, I hadn't looked up their lifespan, but I liked that "survive the apocalypse" bit
Cockroaches are said to survive it too (I didn't bother to check just now), and they ARE kept as pets. I wouldn't want to keep a cockroach, though. A spider, possibly, but the eating habits of spiders are pretty nasty, so I'm not even sure about them.
Old 03-31-2024, 04:28 AM   #37152
Comfy.n

my mother once had a turtle, hasn't lived that much as the stats say they do

and we've had also some lovely Psittacidae for like 50 years. One hasn't lived much but still brings memories. Then two yorkshires, one is alive and hopping. In some not distant past I enjoyed the new year's eve with the other
Old 03-31-2024, 04:56 AM   #37153
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

I like most animals, but I'm too lazy to personally keep anyone but cats. Most other species require more work if you want them to thrive, and dogs the most of all.

We had a fish tank when I was a child, and I participated in caring about it. But small fish tend not to live very long, and it was sad to see a dying fish. You can't even take them to the vet.

Last edited by Sirtel; 03-31-2024 at 04:58 AM.
Old 03-31-2024, 07:22 AM   #37154
Rumpelteazer
Grand Sorcerer
Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rumpelteazer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite Signature Edition
I'm sorry Sirtel, losing a kitty is hard, but what you're going through us super tough. Hugs for you and the cats.

Almost all my live we've had cats, only for a two year period we didn't have any. Then the mouse problem got so bad (inner city with 3 restaurants and one café sharing walls with us) and I missed having cats so much that I was willing to force my parents to get a new cat. Which wasn't necessary because they missed having cats, too.

My sister and I want to get a cat when we move to our new house, after we're settled. We first need to make the garden cat-proof, because we don't want an outdoor cat. It also has to be able to live with other cats, since we promised to take in Luna and Maru when my parents can't take care of them anymore.

Luna and Maru are doing well. They probably miss the birds from the vacation park. But they seem to be settling in okay. They're still getting used to having a gallery hallway outside the front door. The bedroom and the kitchen have windows looking onto it and they get skittish when a neighbour walks by. But maybe once they get used to strangers walking by they will also get less skittish when my parents have visitors. Since moving out of the old house Luna hasn't peed outside of the litter box and my mother is now slowly weaning her off her medication. Luna is a lot more playful, relaxed and has become extremely cuddly.
Rumpelteazer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2024, 04:05 PM   #37155
Deskisamess
Wizard
Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Deskisamess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 7+, iPad mini, 2021 iPad Pro 12.9",Paperwhite 6.8"
My heart goes out to those dealing with the loss of a pet or pets. It's something we've gone through many times in our 47 year marriage, and something we've decided we don't want to face again. It is the main reason we are cat free now.

Atticus was a real boy, there was no finer cat. Making the decision to put him down at 15 before the cancer made his days painful was one of the toughest decisions we've been faced with. It still chokes us up after all these years. Poncho didn't get to that age, we lost him in 1982 at the age of 6. Ranger was only 8, he was another huge black & white, and was so cool.

Saying goodbye to a pet is a pain like no other.
Deskisamess is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
creepy crawlers!, dell computers, monteverdi, thread that never ends, tubery, unutterable silliness