Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Conversion

Notices

Old 04-06-2014, 11:28 AM   #1
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
epub to azw3 actually uses original_epub

it seems that if I have both an original_epub and an (edited) epub ( e.g. one made by the modify plug-in) - then I can't actually convert that edited epub to azw3.

The convert screen lets me choose epub as the input format and azw as the output format, but it does not actually use epub as source, it uses original_epub.

If it has to be that way? then surely the conversion screen should show that it actually intends to use original_epub ?

I would very much like a workaround that does not involve copying only selected formats to another library prior to conversion.

I accepted a while back,- after much confusion - that an epub to epub conversion is always going to use original_epub as source if that is available.

I am less convinced of the logic that says that must also happen for any output format.

e.g. my current reason is wanting so compare amazon & other readers on the Kindle Fire, so I want to tweak an epub( say for cover art, or say for a flattened TOC) and then make a matching AZW version to then see how they both appears in the various tablet readers

there are other scenarios. it could be I want to strip all but one story from an anthology or an omnibus, save the single story epub, and then convert that, without having to first "hide" the original_epub backup

is there some technical complexity which prevents offering a choice of epub or original_epub as the source format for a conversion?

Last edited by cybmole; 04-06-2014 at 11:32 AM.
cybmole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 07:09 PM   #2
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

@cybmole - FWIW I agree, it would be better if Conversion->Input Format allowed one to explicitly select the file from the list of formats that exist in the book folder, including any ORIGINAL_XXXX files. The current scheme assumes a particular usage pattern, which doesn't suit everyone.

A tweak could be employed - "Show ORIGINAL_XXXX formats in Conversion Input formats) : Yes/No". It would default to 'No' to avoid disturbing users who are happy with current arrangement

When I want to keep an ORIGINAL_XXXX I hide it in a 7z file

But I am not sure about having the output format play a role in determining which input format file will be used - ie if input and output are both XXXX and and there's an ORIGINAL_XXXX then use that as input, otherwise use XXXX. Much better to give control to the end user.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-06-2014 at 07:17 PM. Reason: add last para
BetterRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 02:10 AM   #3
cybmole
Wizard
cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cybmole ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post

When I want to keep an ORIGINAL_XXXX I hide it in a 7z file

BR
what is your process for doing that inside the library without confusing the database index, please

& for reversing it if needed - for those times when only an ORIGINAL_XXXX hits the spot

PS I think I've talked myself out of wanting to send AZW to the Kindle Fire, I will go instead with epub & the Koboo reading app, but the request for being able to choose input source is still n my wish list

( off topic but the kindle fire read app killers for me are 1) no page numbers - even with amazon books 2) no way to stop every book cover being spattered back on the front carousel every time you open the book + & having to resize many covers so that that latter process actually works correctly. So I will go with a side load of the kobo app & trust that Amazon will not try to block it in future firmware upgrades)
Old 04-07-2014, 04:17 AM   #4
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)
BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BetterRed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
what is your process for doing that inside the library without confusing the database index, please

& for reversing it if needed - for those times when only an ORIGINAL_XXXX hits the spot
@cybmole - I don't do it often, so this isn't optimal, and it'll take longer to type than to do

So let's assume I do an EPUB to EPUB and I get an ORIGINAL_EPUB that I want to keep but I don't want it to interfere with future conversions
  1. mark the book with the ORIGINAL_EPUB, and do a show marked books - so its the only book showing in the list
  2. start peazip portable.
  3. open the book folder,
  4. drag'n'drop title - author.original_epub into peazip
  5. select 7z as the archive format, click OK
  6. now I have a title - author.7z in the book folder
  7. drag'n'drop the title - author.7z into the book list, this creates a book with just the 7Z format in it.
  8. now I have two marked books (I have the mark option set in Add Books preferences)
  9. merge the two books using the option that will move the 7Z to the book with the ORIGINAL_EPUB and delete the book that was created in step 7
  10. Now I have an EPUB, an ORIGINAL_EPUB and a 7Z in the book folder, and each is 'registered' in the database
  11. Now I remove the pesky ORIGINAL_EPUB (within calibre)

To get the ORIGINAL_EPUB back
  1. mark the book, and do a show marked books - so its the only book showing in the list
  2. open the book folder,
  3. open the title - author.7z in WinRAR
  4. drag'n'drop the title - author.original_epub out of WinRAR into the book folder
  5. drag'n'drop the title - author.original_epub into the book list
  6. now I have two marked books (I have the mark option set in Add Books preferences)
  7. merge the two books using the option that will move the ORIGINAL_EPUB to the book with the 7Z and delete the book that was created in step 5
  8. Now I have an EPUB, an ORIGINAL_EPUB and a 7Z in the book folder, and each is 'registered' in the database

Why peazip and not 7zip, a) because it has a portable version, b) it deals with those .001, 002... split archives nicely, c) when 7zip was first released it had some issues that annoyed me.

Why WinRAR to unarchive 7Zs, because that my default archive program, it can unarchive 7Zs but it can't create them.

I use 7Z's because calibre does things with ZIP's and RAR's so I prefer to leave them be, also I make use of calibres auto 'convert' of ZIPs full of images to CBZ.

If calibre allowed 'foreign' formats to be dropped into Book Details, that would cut out the need to mark and merge - its always seemed odd to me that I can drop such files into the Book List, but not into Book Details.

If you are 'happy' to put the ORIGINAL_XXXX in a ZIP or a RAR then you can simplify the above - because you can drop a ZIP or RAR into Book Details (it's OK to drag it out the corresponding book folder - I do it all the time with DOCX files) But you cant drop ORIGINAL_XXXX into Book Details so in that instance your stuck with my Mark 'em & Merge 'em process.

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-07-2014 at 04:32 AM. Reason: add last para
Old 04-07-2014, 05:11 AM   #5
cybmole
Wizard

OUch - that process SO makes the case for a change to calibre- to avoid having to learn to do it!

I think I'd rather find room in some cloud storage for my original_epub file, put them there via send ( single format ) to disc followed by delete specified format. then I'd have only the epub format within calibre & I'd be able to use that as a source,

but that SO goes against having calibre do 100% of library management.

ditto for completely turning off the "create original_epub" option
Advert
Old 04-07-2014, 05:58 AM   #6
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cybmole View Post
ditto for completely turning off the "create original_epub" option
@cybmole - In practice I have the two switches off, so I never see ORIGINAL_XXXX files

If I want to keep anything for a book that I don't want calibre to see (like a different edition or language) then - sometimes I add an empty 7z to the book via the calibredb add_format command, other times I drop an empty 7Z into the Book list and merge it with the target book (as above). Of course the simplest option would be to drop the empty 7Z onto book details, but...Ψ²

I have the OpenWith PI configured to open 7Zs in Peazip, so once I have an empty 7Z in the book folder and its 'registered' in the database I can add/remove whatever I want to it.

BR
Old 04-07-2014, 04:33 PM   #7
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
@BetterRed, if you use the Edit Metadata window you can add any format to a book record.

But I have no idea why that doesn't work using Book Details.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:05 PM   #8
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Lightbulb

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
@BetterRed, if you use the Edit Metadata window you can add any format to a book record.
@eschwartz - True, I'd forgotten the Add button was in there, I never use the Edit Metadata dialogue because I do all my metadata editing in the book list.

If you mean drag drop into the formats box - uh, huh, not if its not an ebook format file, if I drag an MP3 there on Windows I see a red bar in circle symbol

I invariably have the file I want to add sitting right in front of me in my File Manager or Windows Explorer, so having to click that Add button, navigate to the same place in the open dialogue, deal with that type selector 'thing', find the file, and press enter a couple of times is... a PITA.

In my twisted world its incongruous to find I can randomly toss "any 'ol file" into the book list and get a book created; yet I can't carefully place the same "any 'ol file" into an existing book; nay to do that I have smuggle them in by climbing through a series of long, awkward dialogue windows

BR

Last edited by BetterRed; 04-07-2014 at 06:13 PM.
Old 04-07-2014, 06:35 PM   #9
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by BetterRed View Post
@eschwartz - True, I'd forgotten the Add button was in there, I never use the Edit Metadata dialogue because I do all my metadata editing in the book list.
This.
Quote:
If you mean drag drop into the formats box - uh, huh, not if its not an ebook format file, if I drag an MP3 there on Windows I see a red bar in circle symbol
I do not mean this.
Quote:
I invariably have the file I want to add sitting right in front of me in my File Manager or Windows Explorer, so having to click that Add button, navigate to the same place in the open dialogue, deal with that type selector 'thing', find the file, and press enter a couple of times is... a PITA.

In my twisted world its incongruous to find I can randomly toss "any 'ol file" into the book list and get a book created; yet I can't carefully place the same "any 'ol file" into an existing book; nay to do that I have smuggle them in by climbing through a series of long, awkward dialogue windows

BR
Well, perhaps this will be shorter and less awkward, though still too long and possessed of even some measure of awkwardness.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 06:51 PM   #10
BetterRed
null operator (he/him)

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Well, perhaps this will be shorter and less awkward, though still too long and possessed of even some measure of awkwardness.
Actually Shift/A is faster, avoids having to go into the Metadata Edit and clicking the Add button. That kb shortcut has yet to penetrate my thick skull. Maybe now I've written of its existence it will find a slot and take up residence.

BR