Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Alternative Devices

Notices

Old 04-18-2008, 01:20 PM   #31
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Another female gadget lover here... already married (er, and old enough to be your mother), but there's hope! (I covet both Cricut and computerized routers, and subscribe to both MAKE and CRAFT magazines.)

I have a separate bank account with debit card for hobbies, including gadgets. I have an automatic deduction from my regular paycheck, and if I take an extra part-time job, I can put that money in there, too. I only buy fun stuff from this account (meaning that I don't buy fun stuff from our other bank account or using a credit card, not that I never buy food from this account, though it tends to be "fun food").

The inverse method might work better for you: crank up your 401(k) contributions, etc., and set up a separate savings account with your bank with an automatic payment each month. Whatever is leftover after that and the bills is good for whatever you want to spend it on.

In the past I've also had a mandatory waiting period for items depending on the price, e.g. I can spend up to $10 on impulse, but $10-100 requires three days "cool off" time, over $100 requires two weeks, etc. The amount of hold time depends on my current discretionary income, of course. Now that I have the fixed budget, I don't worry so much about this.
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:26 PM   #32
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
I'm already paying as much into my 401k as my company will match, and I have another portion going to a high yield savings account for "Emergency Money/Unexpected Expenses".

I like the idea of a separate bank account for toys. Something where I put a set amount in every paycheck and can only buy gadgets/toys with money from that account. I like it!
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 01:35 PM   #33
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
I'm already paying as much into my 401k as my company will match,
Why stop at the company match. A 401k is the best way to save/invest money since it is pretax money.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 01:50 PM   #34
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
One should marry a gadget freak. We have know each other for 37 years and been married for 28 years. While I do have a few computers (I did finally get rid of the XT Hercules graphics card) my wife has 2 embroidery machines (one Baby Lock and one Bernina), 6 sewing machines (Baby Lock, Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, Singer, and I'm not sure what it is), 1 commercial sewing machine, a blind hemmer, and a serger or two. Now this is in addition to the pattern creation software and embroidery design software on her machine and her laptop.

Come to think of it, I'm not pulling my weight in gadgets around here.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 03:14 PM   #35
nekokami
fruminous edugeek
nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nekokami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad, eBw 1150
Hmph. Now I feel I must justify my claim to gadget-freakiness. Well, I'm not sure where my C64 is these days (my dad's basement, I think), but I do have an x86 machine that dual-boots to Linux or Win2k, a Mac powerbook, the iLiad, a Newton, Palm IIIxe, Sparcstation 5 (and an x86 card that I never got around to installing in it), and on loan from my employer, a laptop running XP, an older tablet, and a dual-core Mac G5. I think there's an older Motorola PowerBook in the basement.

Now for non-computer gadgets, I've only got a fairly simple sewing machine, soldering iron, two rotary (Dremel-type) tools, drill press for said rotary tools (usable as a miniature lathe), microwave kiln for firing silver clay and fusing glass and enamel, four-harness loom, miniature metal casting kit, guillotine-type paper cutter, heavy-duty hole punch, and an ever-growing collection of hand tools (mostly jewelry related). I'm not sure I should count the propane torch, as I haven't used it yet to make beads from the glass rods I still have from before the studio I used to use closed-- normally my husband and I have an agreement that I won't use open flame inside the house for my projects. (Maybe on the porch this summer....) I have paper-making equipment somewhere, but I haven't seen it since we moved. Likewise the screen-printing stuff. Soap, candle, and candy-making supplies are at least where I can find them.

When my husband and I get a few hours away from the kids, we like to go to hardware and stationery stores.

But lately my big hobby has been 3d modeling on the computer. I'm using Daz Studio, which is free (http://www.daz3d.com), but I've paid quite a bit for specific content items that I couldn't find for free and haven't yet learned to make. At least this hobby doesn't clutter up the house!
nekokami is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2008, 04:11 PM   #36
yvanleterrible
Reborn Paper User
yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yvanleterrible ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone8, iPad Air
Quote:
My name is Adam B., and I am addicted to Gadgets.

Seriously, I've been thinking about this for a while, and it's time I do something about it. I'm 23 years old, 2 years out of college, and I can't stop buying gadgets and electronics. It's not a huge concern at this point. I'm single, splitting a mortgage with a roomate, and my icome is above average for my age. However, if I don't do something to curb my gadget problem, I may end up going broke, or have problems when I'm supporting someone other than myself.

If I see something new, or interesting, or moderately useful looking, I have to have it.

So what do you think? Anyone else have a similar problem? How did you slow down the stream of purchasing?
I have the same problem with power tools. Try to restrict your choices to the devices that help earn their keep, the one you can work with. The others you can borrow from other addicts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
There's only one sure-fire solution: get married. That'll bring your gadget habit to a screeching halt. You'll still be broke, of course, but no more gadgets.
Exactly what went through our union and it works. Things changed when I started buying tools with my business and got pretty crazy.

Quote:
Hey, if you don't pee on the fence, how can you know how much it actually hurts? All those other people may just be whiny sissies.
They tried it at Mythbusters and proved it folklore. It is safe and painless unless someone sees you doing it.
yvanleterrible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:00 PM   #37
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
Hmph. Now I feel I must justify my claim to gadget-freakiness. Well, I'm not sure where my C64 is these days (my dad's basement, I think), but I do have an x86 machine that dual-boots to Linux or Win2k, a Mac powerbook, the iLiad, a Newton, Palm IIIxe, Sparcstation 5 (and an x86 card that I never got around to installing in it), and on loan from my employer, a laptop running XP, an older tablet, and a dual-core Mac G5. I think there's an older Motorola PowerBook in the basement.

Now for non-computer gadgets, I've only got a fairly simple sewing machine, soldering iron, two rotary (Dremel-type) tools, drill press for said rotary tools (usable as a miniature lathe), microwave kiln for firing silver clay and fusing glass and enamel, four-harness loom, miniature metal casting kit, guillotine-type paper cutter, heavy-duty hole punch, and an ever-growing collection of hand tools (mostly jewelry related). I'm not sure I should count the propane torch, as I haven't used it yet to make beads from the glass rods I still have from before the studio I used to use closed-- normally my husband and I have an agreement that I won't use open flame inside the house for my projects. (Maybe on the porch this summer....) I have paper-making equipment somewhere, but I haven't seen it since we moved. Likewise the screen-printing stuff. Soap, candle, and candy-making supplies are at least where I can find them.

When my husband and I get a few hours away from the kids, we like to go to hardware and stationery stores.

But lately my big hobby has been 3d modeling on the computer. I'm using Daz Studio, which is free (http://www.daz3d.com), but I've paid quite a bit for specific content items that I couldn't find for free and haven't yet learned to make. At least this hobby doesn't clutter up the house!
suddenly i feel like such a lightweight... and a growing urge to run out and buy several random electronic / mechanical apparatuses (apparati ??) just to get the count up. funny, up to today i was thinking i already had far too many activities represented for a 2-room flat.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:09 PM   #38
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
suddenly i feel like such a lightweight... and a growing urge to run out and buy several random electronic / mechanical apparatuses (apparati ??) just to get the count up. funny, up to today i was thinking i already had far too many activities represented for a 2-room flat.
Don't feel so bad... some people here are stretching. I don't think sewing machines, power tools, or even a PC can really be considered a "gadget". Which, according to Webster is an often small mechanical or electronic device with a practical use but often thought of as a novelty.

BOb
Old 04-18-2008, 05:13 PM   #39
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:
Originally Posted by nekokami View Post
... I can spend up to $10 on impulse ...
Pretty well sums up my buying philosophy!

Larger purchases must be exhaustively researched and after doing so, if the urge is still there (without any lingering regrets), the purchase gets made and I stick with it!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:17 PM   #40
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by nrapallo View Post
<snip> the purchase gets made and I stick with it!
How's that Betamax player standing up?

BOb
Old 04-18-2008, 05:29 PM   #41
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post

BOb
pff, don't laugh, i think my dad still has his. (and will still explain to you why it was technologically superior !!)
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 05:33 PM   #42
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by zelda_pinwheel View Post
pff, don't laugh, i think my dad still has his. (and will still explain to you why it was technologically superior !!)
OS/2 was technically superior to Windows. But, I don't use it any more. ;(

BOb
Old 04-18-2008, 05:55 PM   #43
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
OS/2 was technically superior to Windows. But, I don't use it any more. ;(

BOb
I still have a machine loaded with OS/2. Loved that OS. And yes, I too have a Sun sparcstation. My Beta broke or I would still be using it, although I now have a DVD recorder / VHS combination.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:09 PM   #44
nrapallo
GuteBook/Mobi2IMP Creator
nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nrapallo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: REB1200 EBW1150 Device: T1 NSTG iLiad_v2 NC Device: Asus_TF Next1 WPDN
Quote:

BOb

Actually, I landed on the VHS side with a $700 Toshiba VCR!
nrapallo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2008, 06:48 PM   #45
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by RWood View Post
One should marry a gadget freak. We have know each other for 37 years and been married for 28 years. While I do have a few computers (I did finally get rid of the XT Hercules graphics card) my wife has 2 embroidery machines (one Baby Lock and one Bernina), 6 sewing machines (Baby Lock, Bernina, Pfaff, Viking, Singer, and I'm not sure what it is), 1 commercial sewing machine, a blind hemmer, and a serger or two. Now this is in addition to the pattern creation software and embroidery design software on her machine and her laptop.

Come to think of it, I'm not pulling my weight in gadgets around here.
I now feel inadequate. (only one sewing machine and I do all my embroidery, lacemaking and crochet by hand. How primitive.) And I've only got two computers. This thread is virtually an encouragement to go shopping -- probably not what Adam B intended.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote