Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Archive > Sunrise

Notices

Old 09-14-2004, 12:31 PM   #1
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Device: iPod Touch
Sunrise 0.3.1 released

I just released Sunrise 0.3.1. You can now invoke "Send to Sunrise" from within Internet Explorer. I don't use IE as my main browser, but indirectly I use it through FeedDemon, which uses IE as an embedded control. I can now read news articles and immediately send them to Sunrise!

This version also adds support for basic authentication. This lets you access password-protected sites.

Change Log

Quick Tour

Download from PalmGear

Last edited by Laurens; 09-14-2004 at 04:09 PM. Reason: Download link added and more info
Old 09-14-2004, 04:50 PM   #2
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Is Sunrise capable of trimming sites? Maybe in the "Advanced" tab of document properties?
If this is possible, I'm switching right now.
Advert
Old 09-14-2004, 05:14 PM   #3
Laurens
Jah Blessed
Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.Laurens is no ebook tyro.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
Is Sunrise capable of trimming sites? Maybe in the "Advanced" tab of document properties?
Yes, it can, and it can do this very well. The functionality is completely undocumented, though.

Sunrise can use XSL transformation to strip away unnecessary clutter such as navigation bars and advertisements. A good example is the SDL for The Register. It uses a stylesheet that extracts only the article headlines, leaving everything else out. Look in the "examples" subdirectory of the Sunrise installation and open the "the-register.sdl" in Sunrise Desktop.

It might take a while before I get round to documenting this. Development takes priority right now.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:24 PM   #4
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Wow, so it can effectively function like Sitescooper? Pretty sweet. I'd like to have a look at that...

Laurens, I know that I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but what are the chances that your commercial product will also be available for Pocket PC? Am I just dreaming?
Old 09-14-2004, 05:38 PM   #5
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by ignatz
I know that I'm jumping the gun a bit here, but what are the chances that your commercial product will also be available for Pocket PC? Am I just dreaming?
I hope to release a PPC version of my viewer at the end of the first quarter of next year. (In other words: around March 2005.) This date is of course tentative. Still, developing for PPC is a good deal easier than it is for Palm OS, so I don't expect any major obstacles there.

Further down the line, there might also be a version for SymbianOS. This depends on user demand.
Advert
Old 09-14-2004, 05:47 PM   #6
ignatz
mechanoholic
ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ignatz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR/iPhone 4S/EVO 4G
Quote:
I hope to release a PPC version of my viewer at the end of the first quarter of next year.
Great, thanks. That's exciting news.
Old 09-14-2004, 05:50 PM   #7
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

I had to remove some games, but it's done: plucker + sunrise up and running!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:00 AM   #8
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
I think that the version at palmgear is mistakenly version 2.1. I downloaded what claimed to be sunrise_031a_setup.exe. After installing help says it version 0.2.1 and I get a consistent message when I uninstalled it. The file size is the same for sunrise_031a_setup.exe and sunrise0.2.1setup.exe (both 3147KB).

Thanks for all your efforts. I'm enjoying the improvements over JPluck!
Old 09-15-2004, 11:11 AM   #9
Francesco
Aficionado

I downloaded Sunrise yesterday from PalmGear and had not any of those problems. The downloaded file is 3.23MB long.

BTW I'm reading tutorials on XML and XSLT, to see if I can trim my own sites.
Old 09-15-2004, 12:34 PM   #10
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylor
I think that the version at palmgear is mistakenly version 2.1. I downloaded what claimed to be sunrise_031a_setup.exe. After installing help says it version 0.2.1 and I get a consistent message when I uninstalled it. The file size is the same for sunrise_031a_setup.exe and sunrise0.2.1setup.exe (both 3147KB).
You're right. I've seen this problem on PalmGear before, but I tried out the download this morning and it was indeed 0.3.1a. Somehow it has reverted back to 0.2.1.

I've mirrored the 0.3.1.a distribution on my ISP's homepage webspace. I'm going to open my own site soon.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:02 PM   #11
Laurens
Jah Blessed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Francesco
BTW I'm reading tutorials on XML and XSLT, to see if I can trim my own sites.
If you're interested, you can also look at the link rewriting feature available through scripting. This lets you change links on-the-fly so that they point to printable versions of articles. Scripting is much simpler than XSLT and it's also documented(open "Help Contents" from within Sunrise). There are several example SDLs in the distribution that use link rewriting, including NY Times and Brighthand.
Old 09-15-2004, 01:13 PM   #12
taylor
Enthusiast
taylor began at the beginning.

Device: T|T3
I'd like to try out the new image conversion processing using imagemagik but I can't find settings to select it over the "standard" method. Are there any instructions associated with this feature?
Old 09-15-2004, 01:29 PM   #13
Bob Russell
Recovering Gadget Addict
Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bob Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
The more I read about Sunrise, the more I drool! I've been aching for some simple way to do something like link modification. Would love it if I could also use the current date in the new version of the link (e.g. use various components like day or dd or mm or mon or month or yyyy etc with either the numbers or common spelled out versions like Sep or sep or 09 or 9 or September etc.)

Can't wait to give it a go after I buy my new Palm. (Probably the T5 rumored to be in the product database for Staples already!)
Old 09-15-2004, 02:09 PM   #14
Francesco
Aficionado

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurens
If you're interested, you can also look at the link rewriting feature available through scripting. This lets you change links on-the-fly so that they point to printable versions of articles. Scripting is much simpler than XSLT and it's also documented(open "Help Contents" from within Sunrise). There are several example SDLs in the distribution that use link rewriting, including NY Times and Brighthand.
Ok, I'm really excited now.
I need to combine two script instructions, append and replace. How do I do that?
I.e. I need to change links of this type:

http://www.xxxxx.com/aaa/bbb/ccc/

Into this:

http://www.xxxxx.com/ddd/print.asp?hand=6&page=../aaa/bbb/ccc/default.html

what about this:
Code:
document.onanchorlink = function(link) {
	link.uri = link.uri.replace("http://www.xxxxx.com/aaa/bbb/ccc/", "http://www.xxxxx.com/ddd/print.asp?hand=6&page=../aaa/bbb/ccc/");
	link.uri += "default.html";
};
I doesn't work, but maybe my fault is somewhere else.

Last edited by Francesco; 09-15-2004 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:55 PM   #15
Francesco
Aficionado

It works.
I have a different problem now. In preferences I specified the path to my cookies, but apparently, Sunrise is not using them. What might be the problem?
I use Firefox, btw.