Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > iRex

Notices

Old 03-28-2008, 09:02 AM   #1
Gogolo
Addict
Gogolo has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: DR1000S, Nook ST (rooted), Kobo Aura one (ksm)
Wikipedia with 2.12?

Hi

Is it possible to run Wikipedia on CF with 2.12? Has anyone tried?

I mean the mobipocket Version...

Thanks
Gogolo (who is still waiting for his iLiad after screen crash)

Last edited by Gogolo; 03-28-2008 at 09:38 AM.
Gogolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2008, 06:22 AM   #2
Martijn
Connoisseur
Martijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-booksMartijn has learned how to read e-books

Device: iLiad
I tried, but it didn't work.

The mobipocket version has been split into multiple files and the iLiad doesn't support multi-part mobipocket files
Martijn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-29-2008, 06:17 PM   #3
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks for your answer. Thats so bad. It would be nice to have wikipedia (Hello iRex do you hear us?)

Would it be possible to merge the prc files?

With this probably?

http://www.access-company.com/develo..._PRCMerge.html

Greetings
Old 03-30-2008, 05:35 AM   #4
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Device: iliad
See also here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11778

Theoretically it should be easily possible to get a wikipedia without the mobipocket format, it's only a whole set of stuff that needs to be ported and bundled into a single package:

HTML Broswer, Python, Perl, Php, Xapian and Django
axel77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2008, 12:23 PM   #5
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks! I am to much of a noob to set up this.

Its too bad. Wikipedia would be so nice on iLiad (I know its big, but I'd take the german version )

Greetings
Gogolo
Advert
Old 04-01-2008, 07:05 AM   #6
axel77
Fanatic
axel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-booksaxel77 has learned how to read e-books

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gogolo View Post
Thanks! I am to much of a noob to set up this.

Its too bad. Wikipedia would be so nice on iLiad (I know its big, but I'd take the german version )

Greetings
Gogolo
I will be working on it. But it will take time... can't give you any date. But expect it to be months... I hope in the summer months I will have more time/energy to concentrate on stuff like this.
Old 04-01-2008, 07:41 AM   #7
Gogolo
Addict

Cool. Thank you very much!
Greetings
Gogolo
Old 04-04-2008, 07:37 AM   #8
Gogolo
Addict

I read that FB reader supports:

Non-DRM'ed mobipocket format (tables are not supported).

Is it possible to open wikipedia with fbreader? I have no iLiad here to test this...
Thanks
Gogolo
Old 04-04-2008, 07:55 AM   #9
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Device: iRex iLiad, Nokia 770, Samsung i760
Quote:
Originally Posted by axel77 View Post
See also here:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=11778

Theoretically it should be easily possible to get a wikipedia without the mobipocket format, it's only a whole set of stuff that needs to be ported and bundled into a single package:

HTML Broswer, Python, Perl, Php, Xapian and Django
FYI: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=12856

I made a little bit of progress. But gave up as it wasn't really all that great of a solution. I haven't tried the mobipocket version. Perhaps it would work better...
Adam B. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2008, 07:57 AM   #10
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting
Adam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the roughAdam B. is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
I read that FB reader supports:

Non-DRM'ed mobipocket format (tables are not supported).

Is it possible to open wikipedia with fbreader? I have no iLiad here to test this...
Thanks
Gogolo
FBReader won't open the file because it was compressed with Mobipocket's proprietary compression system. When you attempt to open it, it give you a "unknown compression" error.
Old 04-04-2008, 03:38 PM   #11
Gogolo
Addict

Thanks for your reply. Is it not possible to convert Wikipedia for our needs? I can run a very fast dual core for several weeks if it is neccessary...

Gogolo
Old 04-04-2008, 03:48 PM   #12
Adam B.
Addicted to Porting

Quote:
Thanks for your reply. Is it not possible to convert Wikipedia for our needs? I can run a very fast dual core for several weeks if it is neccessary...

Gogolo
The problem is trying to figure out what format fits our needs the best. Mobipocket is good, but it's too big to fit on a single file.

HTML works well, but there's no way to search without a web server.

A web server/mysql solution is too slow on the iLiad's hardware.

A custom pearl scripted solution doesn't provide a front end to search...

If there was an easy way to get it on the iLiad in a workable fashion, I'd be all for it (I have a quad core computer at home, I'd be glad to do any processing work). The problem is finding the best solution to this problem.
Old 04-04-2008, 04:14 PM   #13
Gogolo
Addict

I just found this:

http://encyclopodia.sourceforge.net/en/installx.html

Would this be portable?

Greetings
Gogolo
Old 04-04-2008, 05:29 PM   #14
daudi
Addict
daudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-booksdaudi has learned how to read e-books

Device: iRex iLiad, Psion 5MX, nokia n800
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam B. View Post
The problem is trying to figure out what format fits our needs the best. Mobipocket is good, but it's too big to fit on a single file.

HTML works well, but there's no way to search without a web server.

A web server/mysql solution is too slow on the iLiad's hardware.

A custom pearl scripted solution doesn't provide a front end to search...

If there was an easy way to get it on the iLiad in a workable fashion, I'd be all for it (I have a quad core computer at home, I'd be glad to do any processing work). The problem is finding the best solution to this problem.
Using the perl script idea we could use the manifest file and description field for entry. Here's the scenario:

We have a contentlister entry to run wikipedia. The user edits the description to say "iliad" (or whatever) using the iliad's built-in label editing facility, clicks on the entry and the script reads the description and uses that for input to the script. It then either creates a custom web page with the list of matches and fires up minimo for the user to select the result, or creates a contentlister entry for each result.

It's would be a bit of a nasty hack, but is also a very quick way to get it working so we can test how usable it is, see what we might need to do to get it looking nice etc, while someone creates a GUI. I'd do it, but I just don't get perl. I had a bad experience with it when I was younger and no amount of therapy seems to help.

Last edited by daudi; 04-04-2008 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Clarified editing the description
daudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:55 AM   #15
axel77
Fanatic

Why sould the python mini server from buildWikipediaOffline.html not do the job very well?