Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-23-2013, 05:08 AM   #1
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

Device: Kobo Aura HD
Aura HD won't start on SD card

Hi folks,

Here is a bit of a disappointment. I've loaded about 3000 books & documents via Calibre and everything went fine till I've decided to reboot. It simply won't start. It begin to load as usual but stops very quickly and just stays like this.

I have to take off the SD card, reset, connect to pc, launch Calibre, put in the card, eject the device, and only then can I properly use the ereader with the sd card content. Not very optimal!

Am I the only one? Why do they advertise it can hold up tO 32gb if 9gb already provoke such a hassle?

Adam.
Adam Hel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 06:28 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I haven't heard of a problem like yours. I do know a couple of people have had issues with different micro SD cards. Some of the issues have been fixed by formatting the card with https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/formatter_4/. There have also been issues with different cards that have been fixed in firmware updates.

Where does the device stop? Showing the boot screen or somewhere else? The rest, is that just a pinhole reset, or a factory reset?

What happens if you insert the card while it is running? With 3000 books on the card it will take a while to process the card, but it should come up after awhile. There are two stages. The first shows nothing on the screen, but the device information screen will show the card. You can continue using the device, but if you try connecting to a PC, you don't get the "connect" prompt. The seconds stage is the black processing screen as the books are added to the internal database.

Also, what happens if you just put a few books on the card? I know you want the full library, but if there is an issue, testing with a lot less books should help to sort things out.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 06:58 AM   #3
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Adding to what david said, a "bad" file can stop things as well. Tracking down what file is doing this can be a challenge.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 07:09 AM   #4
Adam Hel
Adam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toysAdam Hel shares his or her toys

If I insert the card when the device is already running, nothing happens. I have to reboot or to connect it to the computer. The thing is, why does it work after connecting and disconnecting it to the computer? Then I get the black processing screen for a while and everything is fine, I have acces to all the contents.

I mean, if it is a formating problem or an issue with bad files, then it wouldn't work at all. Also, I didn't have this problem with only a few files. When I reboot now, I get the boot screen with the usual small black and white squares showing everything is loading. It simply stops loading after a few seconds and freeze, I will post a video if you wish.

edit: I was refering to a pinhole reset in my first post.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:14 AM   #5
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

When you insert the card, how long did you wait? It might be doing the first step. I know someone here mentioned it took 30 minutes for this step. But, the device should still respond and you can check the device information page to see if it has recognised the card.
Advert
Old 05-23-2013, 07:15 AM   #6
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hel View Post
I mean, if it is a formating problem or an issue with bad files, then it wouldn't work at all.
The bad file issue seems to stop everything only when that particular file is encountered. Been there.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 09:30 AM   #7
Adam Hel

Help!

Since I've used SD Card Formatter 4.0 my device doesn't recognise it! It says it has to be formatted as Fat32, but even formatting it with the windows native option doesn't change anything! Don't tell me it can't be fixed :/
Old 05-23-2013, 12:58 PM   #8
Adam Hel

Okay, so after hours of figuring out, everything is fine.

I still don't know why the hell I got all this mess, but it's solved.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:47 PM   #9
Ken Maltby
Wizard
Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ken Maltby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note2, AuraHD, PDA,
So, you now have 3000 entries in your "books" listing? And everything is working?

I seem to remember that things were working better for some when they had calibre
add the cover image to the book file.

Luck;
Ken
Ken Maltby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 PM   #10
geormes
Groupie
geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geormes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Classic, Kobo Touch, Nook Simple Touch, Kobo Aura
I had a very similar problem. I tried to use the sd card from my Kobo Touch in my Aura. I had no where near 3k books; more like 34.

The card worked on a Nook Touch and on a Kobo Touch. It would start to be read in the Aura and just freeze. I even gave up one evening and left it in that state and went to sleep. Next morning still frozen. Only solution was to pull the card and use the paperclip.

I gave up, bought a new card, created a "touch" library on Calibre and added the books to the library. It was then easy to transfer what I wanted to the new card on the Aura.
geormes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 02:44 AM   #11
Adam Hel

Yeah, so I used SD Formatter 4.0 on a different computer and for some unknown reasons it fixed the card.

Now, when I reboot it seems to freeze but only for about 3 min (whereas before it would stay like this for ever), then I can use it normally.
Old 05-24-2013, 03:23 AM   #12
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam Hel View Post
Yeah, so I used SD Formatter 4.0 on a different computer and for some unknown reasons it fixed the card.
I hate it when that happens. I always want to go back and try the other one, but don't want to mess it up again.
Quote:
Now, when I reboot it seems to freeze but only for about 3 min (whereas before it would stay like this for ever), then I can use it normally.
Is this after the home screen is displayed? If so, I think it is doing a check on the card to see if there have been changes. I don't see a freeze like that, but I only have a few books on the card.
Old 05-24-2013, 06:54 AM   #13
Adam Hel

No, right before the home screen when everything is loading. As soon as I get to the home screen, I can use the device normally after a few seconds. This temporary freeze seems to be simply due to the amount of files as I don't have such problem with only a few of them.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:25 AM   #14
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

I dropped about 1700 epubs on a card today and put it in my Touch. I'm seeing the same sort of behaviour. The device is freezing for a while after removing and reinserting the card. I think part of the problems is that only about 1200 of the books were processed by the device. That means it keeps finding books that seem to be new, but can't then process them. I'll have remove some and see what happens.