Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-21-2013, 12:29 PM   #1
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura H2O 1st. gen. Libra 2
Is there a way to increase font size in the dict lookup window?

I apologize for the naive question but I just bought a Kobo Glo as a gift for a person who has bad eyesight. I owned a Kindle Touch in the past so I know Amazon's devices elegantly display dictionary searches in a font size which is readable without the need of reading glasses. My priority when chosing the KOBO, though, was epub format support. The device is *almost* perfect for my friends needs apart from the font size in the dictionary lookup window which is to small. Is there any way (official or unofficial) to increase the font size?
yayo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 03:26 PM   #2
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo touch
The font used for the dictionary window is the same as the font chosen for the book. I think among the pre-installed fonts the Japanese font Gothic has the biggest letter size. Therefore, I use it even for English books.
tshering is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 04:04 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tshering View Post
The font used for the dictionary window is the same as the font chosen for the book
Are you sure? That's not what I'm seeing on my Kobo Glo (fw 2.5.0). The font in the dictionary pop-up doesn't seem to change for me. At a guess I'd say it's always Georgia. I can't see any obvious way to increase the size.

Perhaps there's a difference between the Kobo Touch and the Kobo Glo, do you think?

Edit: I've only got sideloaded epubs so I suppose it may also be different in kepubs.

Last edited by jackie_w; 04-21-2013 at 04:06 PM. Reason: kepub possibility?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2013, 04:06 PM   #4
yayo
Groupie
yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.yayo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Can't confirm what you're saying unfortunately, with firmware 2.5 the dictionary font stays the same no matter which one is selected for the books, I could be mistaken but it seems to me it's the Di Default font. The size of the letters doesn't change either, not even after turning the reader off and back on. Thanks for the Gothic tip though, huge letter size.
Old 04-21-2013, 04:09 PM   #5
yayo
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post

Edit: I've only got sideloaded epubs so I suppose it may also be different in kepubs.
Nope, it's the same
Advert
Old 04-21-2013, 04:15 PM   #6
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Oh, shame tschering has a magic Kobo. I'd like a magic Kobo, too.
Old 04-21-2013, 05:49 PM   #7
tshering
Wizard
tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tshering ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
Oh, shame tschering has a magic Kobo. I'd like a magic Kobo, too.
Seriously, it is working on epubs and kepub.epubs under FW 2.4.0. If FW 2.5.0 constantly uses Georgia or any such font, I would like to know how the device can display Japanese dictionary entries. For the moment, however, nobody can try this, since Japanese dictionary support is broken under 2.5.0.

Edit: They could set the font in accordance with the language of the book, or of the chosen dictionary. This of course would limit the characters of the dictionary to the officially supported languages. But they seem to prevent the use of custom dictionaries anyway.
Another way would be automatic font replacement for unsupported characters in the preset dictionary font. But this would most likely result in unreadable passages in many cases, as it does in kepub.epubs.

Last edited by tshering; 04-22-2013 at 07:19 AM.
Old 04-21-2013, 06:03 PM   #8
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

We believe you, honest Seriously though, sorry to hear your dictionary support is messed up. I guess us English monolinguists have an easier time of it with modern gadgetry.
Old 04-22-2013, 05:35 AM   #9
tshering
Wizard

jackie_w,

why do I get the impression you don't believe me.
Old 04-22-2013, 07:15 AM   #10
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
jackie_w,

why do I get the impression you don't believe me.
Only kidding. Of course I believe you
Old 04-22-2013, 07:24 AM   #11
tshering
Wizard

This is quite a relief!
Old 04-24-2013, 04:41 PM   #12
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
If FW 2.5.0 constantly uses Georgia or any such font, I would like to know how the device can display Japanese dictionary entries. For the moment, however, nobody can try this, since Japanese dictionary support is broken under 2.5.0.

Edit: They could set the font in accordance with the language of the book, or of the chosen dictionary. This of course would limit the characters of the dictionary to the officially supported languages. But they seem to prevent the use of custom dictionaries anyway.
Another way would be automatic font replacement for unsupported characters in the preset dictionary font. But this would most likely result in unreadable passages in many cases, as it does in kepub.epubs.
I have now installed 2.5.1. The dictionary screen uses a preset font now. For unsupported characters there is automatic font replacement. For the Japanese dictionary this means a character size of about one millimeter. This is ridiculous.
Old 04-24-2013, 08:17 PM   #13
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
I have now installed 2.5.1. The dictionary screen uses a preset font now. For unsupported characters there is automatic font replacement. For the Japanese dictionary this means a character size of about one millimeter. This is ridiculous.
Ridiculous? Doesn't everyone carry a magnifying glass when reading?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2013, 06:47 AM   #14
tshering
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Ridiculous? Doesn't everyone carry a magnifying glass when reading?
I do. I never leave the house without a magnifying glass and a paper-clip, the most essential accessory for the Touch.
Old 05-09-2013, 03:13 PM   #15
tshering
Wizard

Can anybody please tell me whether under FW 2.5.2 the font used for the dictionary screen is again selected in accordance with the font selected for the book, as it was under FW 2.4?