Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-21-2012, 01:11 AM   #151
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
Since there is no any other tablet with screen bigger than 10.1", to me the (only) attractive feature of ms surface is its 10.6" screen vs my current 9.7" of ipad3. BB flex tablet sounds a good deal -- $250 is now official: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=6815166
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 11:17 AM   #152
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Since there is no any other tablet with screen bigger than 10.1", to me the (only) attractive feature of ms surface is its 10.6" screen vs my current 9.7" of ipad3. BB flex tablet sounds a good deal -- $250 is now official: http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Insignia...&skuId=6815166
They don't even bother mentioning the battery life, so it's probably bad.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-21-2012, 11:50 AM   #153
pj123
Zealot
pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pj123 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Lenovo Tablet 3 Pro, Kobo Aura H2O, Ipad
10 hour battery life

http://www.afterdawn.com/news/articl..._for_about_250

Last edited by pj123; 10-21-2012 at 12:44 PM.
pj123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 03:43 PM   #154
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Apparently the sold-out pre-orders really are due to the song and dance ad.
People who's job it is to measure those things have determined it is the absolue best of the best tablet-only ad of 2012. By a mile.
http://news.cnet.com/8301-17852_3-57...verizes-apple/

Quote:
According to Ace Metrix, the all-dancing Surface ad is "the most effective" tablet ad of the year. Yes, even better than the Galaxy Note ad. And in an entirely different realm from Apple's offerings.
Do note the Name of the Column referring to the report.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2012, 08:43 PM   #155
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by pj123 View Post
Why would they not post this info on their product page, black on white, where they'd be held accountable? Very fishy.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-22-2012, 10:55 AM   #156
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
I've decided to buy the Surface RT, assuming the reviews are good...and they probably will be IMO.

10. I'm convinced the app market for RT will be a success because any app written for regular windows 8 will be compatible with RT. A lot of people are going to have Windows 8 since it will be preinstalled on most new computers. This means the install base for these metro style apps is going to be very significant. 300+ million Windows computers are sold each year....so the app market should be at least as good as the market for android's tablet OS within 2 years I think. The apps could also be more sophisticated since WIndows 8 RT is closer to a full desktop OS and most people will have a keyboard attached.
I believe that you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Microsoft has a long history of deliberating introducing confusion by the names they choose for their mobile and desktop operating systems. They attempt to give the impression of cohesiveness and compatibility without actually delivering it in any meaningful way.

They'll claim that it is a simple matter of recompiling a Win8 app for use on a WinRT device. They've made those claims in the past with previous operating systems. The reality was that only the most basic apps, more like applets, could take advantage of that capability.

I've just recently retired, but I've been a software developer for over 30 years and have worked extensively on Microsoft's mobile platforms for the last 12 years. I'll need to see how many of the promises are actually delivered on before I have any confidence in what Microsoft has claimed.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:12 AM   #157
xmlgirl
Enthusiast
xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xmlgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
clicking noise

So this commercial is selling a product that makes a clicking noise? Sounds like a future broken part to me. Just trying to be "cooler" than the apple people isn't going to sell this to iPad owners.
xmlgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:14 AM   #158
Graham
Wizard
Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Graham ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo H20, Pixel 2, Samsung Chromebook Plus
Quote:
Originally Posted by xmlgirl View Post
Just trying to be "cooler" than the apple people isn't going to sell this to iPad owners.
I suspect that they're trying to sell this to non-iPad owners.

Graham
Graham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 10:33 PM   #159
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Quote:
Originally Posted by WillysJeepMan View Post
I believe that you are going to be in for a rude awakening. Microsoft has a long history of deliberating introducing confusion by the names they choose for their mobile and desktop operating systems. They attempt to give the impression of cohesiveness and compatibility without actually delivering it in any meaningful way.

They'll claim that it is a simple matter of recompiling a Win8 app for use on a WinRT device. They've made those claims in the past with previous operating systems. The reality was that only the most basic apps, more like applets, could take advantage of that capability.

I've just recently retired, but I've been a software developer for over 30 years and have worked extensively on Microsoft's mobile platforms for the last 12 years. I'll need to see how many of the promises are actually delivered on before I have any confidence in what Microsoft has claimed.
Boy, that sent a cold, cold shiver into my heart.

I just knew that "this time" it would finally happen.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2012, 11:01 PM   #160
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post

I just knew that "this time" it would finally happen.
Windows 8 RT is Windows 8. It is another SKU with access to the desktop crippled (no desktop SDK for ARM). That is really the only key difference folks need to know between it and Standard.

But there's the WinRT framework, which is what developers use to write apps targeting the new UI. It uses .NET technology which means you can compile once and run on both x86 and ARM. JavaScript apps aren't even compiled, which makes it even easier there.

So you have Windows 8 RT, and WinRT which are two different things. Sweet.

But, the key thing here is that the new UI on the desktop and tablets are actually the same. I'm as surprised as some others that this is actually the case.
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 03:02 AM   #161
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
You're flying too high. Lower your altitude.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 07:02 AM   #162
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by markbot View Post
10. I'm convinced the app market for RT will be a success because any app written for regular windows 8 will be compatible with RT.
That isn't correct.
WinRT will only support apps written using the new WinRT APIs.
Anything using existing Win32 and .NET APIs will not work on WinRT and will have to be redeveloped. Those apps would work fine on 'real' Windows 8.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:06 PM   #163
Kolenka
<Insert Wit Here>
Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kolenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Kobo Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That isn't correct.
Anything using existing Win32 and .NET APIs will not work on WinRT and will have to be redeveloped. Those apps would work fine on 'real' Windows 8.
An easier distinction here is to say it this way:

- Does it work in the new UI-formerly-known-as-Metro? Is it in the Store? It will work with Windows RT, Standard and Pro.
- Does it rely on the Windows 7-style Desktop? Then it only works on Windows Standard or Pro.

But the thing is, a tablet doesn't need to stick with Windows RT. The Surface Pro for example, is x86 and uses Windows Pro (I believe it is Pro anyways).
Kolenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2012, 08:20 PM   #164
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolenka View Post
An easier distinction here is to say it this way:
Here is an even simpler way:
-Does it currently exist?
If so, it won't run on the WinRT ARM tablets without being redeveloped.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2012, 03:48 PM   #165
markbot
Guru
markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.markbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle Paperwhite 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by murraypaul View Post
That isn't correct.
Yeah, I meant Windows 8 Metro Apps (not just windows programs) from the Windows App store....those should also be available for the RT App Store. Correct?

My thinking is that a developer will be more willing to develop for RT because they know the app can also be downloaded for Windows 8....which will have a huge user base.
markbot is offline   Reply With Quote