Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 05-07-2012, 10:58 AM   #1
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony 650 ,T2, samsung 7.7, ipad2, ipad mini2, yotaphone2, galax tab s2
browser + dictionary

Hi ,
waiting to see if Sony will do a color eink,
I am deciding to buy a T1 to substitute my prs 650.

the thing that will be determinant for me, and I cannot detect by any video review is... it is possible with the PRS T1 to use the dictionaries in the browser mode?
thanks
trocchietto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #2
trocchietto
Addict
trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.trocchietto ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

please just a yes or no... I cannot wait my childish part wants to buy, i need to cuddle myself a little
Advert
Old 05-07-2012, 06:58 PM   #3
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
As far as I know, the built-in dictionaries on the PRST1 are for use in the books you load, epub, pdf and txt (although I can't say I've tried to use the dictionary in a txt file).
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #4
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
As far as I know, the built-in dictionaries on the PRST1 are for use in the books you load, epub, pdf and txt (although I can't say I've tried to use the dictionary in a txt file).
thank you, so this make not useful to use the browser for learning purposes.
pity. maybe there is a way to download the page and then read it as html or another format, and at least off line using the dictionary?
I do not want to criticize but look awkward to me how sony can miss such an essential feature, considering that today learning new languages is so common , and it will be OF COURSE really cool to read the news in Spanish, French, English Italian and so on.
I have now serious doubts to buy the TRS1 having already a prs650 that works as a charm without wifi

Last edited by trocchietto; 05-08-2012 at 07:37 AM.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:35 AM   #5
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
No.. you cannot use the dictionary on a web page in the browser

No you can't save the web page as an htm/html file from the browser, you could use your pc to grab the web page as an htm/html file and load it up as a book

THe T1 is a BOOK reader off the shelf and a good one IMHO and not a general purpose
device, you could try rooting it but you could end up with a "brick"
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-08-2012, 10:08 AM   #6
pietro
Enthusiast
pietro began at the beginning.

Device: prs-t1, kobo auraHD
Trocchietto, I bought one few months ago - my first reader - and am very happy with it. I live in UK but read a lot in Italian and French and in this it's more flexible than kindle. Kindle is much easier to use but this one gives so much flexibility in buying books from various sources if you don't just buy bestsellers.
However "bla" is right - this is a book reader, not a PC, do not expect to do much more.
I must say I rooted it but I still prefer the original reader software than coolreader etc. The only thing I do on the rooted T1 other than reading book is that I installed Dropbox, Documents to Go and Evernote so I can use it to take notes and read word files.

I don't care for a color eink but I've waiting too long for a 9-inch reader from a recognized brand (Sony, Kindle) to come out - that was the only thing that delayed my purchase.

If you want my opinion, I'd recommend it to a friend. I bought one for my daughter.
pietro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #7
luvduchovny
Zealot
luvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melonluvduchovny knows how to choose the perfect melon

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500, PRS-600, PRS-650, PRS-T1, PRS-T3
Now if you wanted to make the web browser link to a dictionary web page like dictionary.com and set it as a home page you could do that but the other things you mention just don't work the way you want. Although when reading holding the stylus to the word you wish to get a definition of works well. If it can't be found in the default dictionary (like you are reading something and they threw in a work that is Spanish, or French, you click the arrow of the dictionary that tried to find the word and change the dictionary to Spanish-English or French-English and it will give you the word unless it's slang, then there is a 50% chance of figuring out the word.
luvduchovny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 11:05 AM   #8
trocchietto
Addict

ok guys,
thank you every1,
but still I am not convinced, if it is the first eareder it is nice, but is not my case. So far there are not portable browsers with instant lookup, only babylon on the desktop...
I see some profitability, as the instant lookup can be easily implemented considering that the browser is mature and the dictionary exists already...

PLEASE, i have also noticed that the double click on my prs650 looks up words more fast than pressing on the trs1 as I see in the video( also tried in a mall) but I do not know if also the trs1 accept the double click to look up.
the look up time is quite important, also if is maybe less than one second of difference because these machines are quite low already, compared with the lcd reader alternative, especially when there are a lot of notes or metadata. so if you do not know really well a language, a really fast look up is important because of the number of times you will do.

suggesting me to go on dictionary. com does not look at all an efficient solution with the current technology, especially if i need to look up continuosly. also on android still there is nothing really efficient.
Old 05-09-2012, 06:44 PM   #9
bla
E bookworm
bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bla ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS T1,Android Tablet, I phone
It's a "tap and Hold on the TRS1 .. it seems to work pretty fast but I don't have anything to compare it to
bla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2012, 07:56 PM   #10
arciervo
arciervo began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by trocchietto View Post
thank you, so this make not useful to use the browser for learning purposes.
pity. maybe there is a way to download the page and then read it as html or another format, and at least off line using the dictionary?
I do not want to criticize but look awkward to me how sony can miss such an essential feature, considering that today learning new languages is so common , and it will be OF COURSE really cool to read the news in Spanish, French, English Italian and so on.
I have now serious doubts to buy the TRS1 having already a prs650 that works as a charm without wifi
From a Chrome or Firefox browser on a PC, you can use the "dotEPUB" extension to convert web pages to EPUB files for reading on a T1. The built-in reader features (dictionaries, highlight, add note, search, Wikipedia, Google) work fine with these files, since they are in standard EPUB format.

While browsing the web on my PC, I often see articles which I'd like to save to read later on my Sony. Here's the procedure I use:
1) From Chrome, I click on the "dotEPUB" icon to convert the current web page to EPUB format. I save this to the Dropbox folder on my PC. The file is automatically uploaded to "the cloud".
2) On the PRS-T1, I use the built-in web browser to go the Dropbox mobile web site and select the file I created earlier. This is downloaded and added to my collection of books.
3) I read the article as I would any other EPUB file and either delete it or keep it after I'm finished.

I don't think there is any way to run the "dotEPUB" conversion directly from the Sony's web browser; I think you need to do this from a PC. (I'd love to hear if someone has a workaround so that everything can be done from the PRS-T1 itself.)
arciervo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2012, 07:48 AM   #11
trocchietto
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by arciervo View Post
From a Chrome or Firefox browser on a PC, you can use the "dotEPUB" extension to convert web pages to EPUB files for reading on a T1. The built-in reader features (dictionaries, highlight, add note, search, Wikipedia, Google) work fine with these files, since they are in standard EPUB format.

While browsing the web on my PC, I often see articles which I'd like to save to read later on my Sony. Here's the procedure I use:
1) From Chrome, I click on the "dotEPUB" icon to convert the current web page to EPUB format. I save this to the Dropbox folder on my PC. The file is automatically uploaded to "the cloud".
2) On the PRS-T1, I use the built-in web browser to go the Dropbox mobile web site and select the file I created earlier. This is downloaded and added to my collection of books.
3) I read the article as I would any other EPUB file and either delete it or keep it after I'm finished.

I don't think there is any way to run the "dotEPUB" conversion directly from the Sony's web browser; I think you need to do this from a PC. (I'd love to hear if someone has a workaround so that everything can be done from the PRS-T1 itself.)
thank you but still I will wait for the color version able to navigate looking up pages and sync notes with Android, and ...sorry I am not too pretentious, also playing chess. The technology permits this, and as consumer I expect a product like this.

Last edited by trocchietto; 05-14-2012 at 07:57 AM.