Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 02-03-2012, 04:05 PM   #1
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Book Previews

Kobo,

A couple of thoughts on your book previews:
I use them much like I would browse in an actual bookstore. If I see something that I think might be interesting, I pick it up and have a look; in the Kobo store, I down load the preview and peruse it at my convenience.
And indeed it is convenient, as I can pick up a preview any time then look at it anytime I want, unlike a real bookstore.

Many of them, I decide I am not intersted in and delete. Others, I hang onto as a reminder that this is something I might like to read in the future. I occasionally go through and re-read some previews to remind myself why I was interested and delete others that have accumulated.

But, I don't need an email reminder every time I download a preview or read a preview to let me know I can buy it. I already know that.

I don't mind getting email from you. I want to get the discount codes and suggestions of things I might like to read (but not too frequently; once a week would be plenty). Please don't abuse your privledged spot as accepted email or I will be forced to designate everything from you as spam.

Thanks for listening.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 04:24 PM   #2
voom
Just me :)
voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.voom is no ebook tyro.

Device: Kobo Touch
You might want to post that here, too: http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
voom is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-03-2012, 04:58 PM   #3
Jaden
Evangelist
Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jaden ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch
I even get reminded to buy the book even though I've already bought it. Not only once but twice in a week or so...

Posting it to getsatisfaction (and posting a link to the post here) sounds like a good idea to me.
Jaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 07:54 PM   #4
HarleyB
Fanatic
HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarleyB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo (RIP), iPad, iPhone 4, Kobo Touch x2, Kobo Glo
I've only tried a couple of previews and none of them worked. The book still shows up in my library but there's nothing there - unless the preview is just supposed to be the cover and the title page?!?
HarleyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2012, 09:38 PM   #5
nogle
Gangnam style!
nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.nogle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarleyB View Post
I've only tried a couple of previews and none of them worked. The book still shows up in my library but there's nothing there - unless the preview is just supposed to be the cover and the title page?!?
The previews vary in length; I suspect it is controlled by the publisher. I have had previews like you describe. It certainly doesn;t help me decide to buy; quite the opposite. But there are also previews that will give you everything up to the end of the first chapter. Those do help me reach a decision. And in some cases has resulted in an impulse buy at the end of the preview.
nogle is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-04-2012, 10:24 AM   #6
robko
Wizard
robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.robko ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Wow, I just had my first of the e-mail described by Nogle. I was checking out a book I wasn't actually interested in (checking it out for other reasons) and this morning got an e-mail saying it wasn't too late to buy it. I'm off to cancel them sending me more stuff. I had no interest in the recommendations on the bottom carousel, but at least I could turn them off. This is just too much considering how many other e-mails I'm already getting from Kobo.
robko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 03:43 AM   #7
lar3ry
Enthusiast
lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.lar3ry got an A in P-Chem.

Device: Kobo WiFi and Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by voom View Post
You might want to post that here, too: http://getsatisfaction.com/kobo
A total waste of time. They don't listen. I am so fed up with this Kobo TOuch and its previews that can't be disabled, that I am very close to getting rid of it and finding something else.
lar3ry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 07:29 AM   #8
Solicitous
Wizard
Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Solicitous ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket Pro (Black), 2 x Kindle WiFi (Graphite), iPod Touch 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by lar3ry View Post
A total waste of time. They don't listen. I am so fed up with this Kobo TOuch and its previews that can't be disabled, that I am very close to getting rid of it and finding something else.
I dont have a Touch, only the old wifi and thank god there hasn't been a firmware update for that. Recently there has been an Android app update which has dramatically increased the space taken by recommendations, to the point where on the tablet it shows recommendations, best sellers etc. Do they want me to easily find and read my ebooks or spend my days browsing their recommendations?

Something I am really really shaking my head about is Kobo have the Vox, yet they have spent, and appear to spend, far more resources on the iPad reading app. Why have they even bothered with the Vox when they could have just let people buy a generic android tablet or iPad. Amazon released the Fire and provided more than just the Kindle app on a cut down version of Android. Why didn't Kobo do the same?

IMHO all these recommendations and social reading isn't improving the reading experience, it is distracting people and removing them from what could be a great reading experience.
Solicitous is offline   Reply With Quote