Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 12-19-2011, 11:52 AM   #1
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Apple iPad production rocked by explosions.

Looks like the Fire, Nook and other "tablets" aren't the only things bugging Apple's iPad.

The production facilities are being rocked by explosions.

"Explosion rocks Apple supplier's factory"
Riteng in Shanghai

http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57...?tag=cnetRiver

2nd explosion this year to affect Apple.
The other at Foxconn.
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 12:48 PM   #2
Daithi
Publishers are evil!
Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Daithi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various Kindles
I wonder what is causing these explosions. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is terrorism or sabotage that doesn't get reported in the Chinese media. However, it is probably more likely aluminum dust in the air that a spark ignites (or something along those lines). Either way, I could just imagine if something like that were occurring in the U.S., and I quickly realize why iPads and Kindles are not being produced here.
Daithi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-19-2011, 02:44 PM   #3
RainingLemur
Spork Connoisseur
RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RainingLemur ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color
That's...terrible to hear. I hope it wasn't any kind of sabotage. I doubt that it was, but I hope that it wasn't on purpose.
RainingLemur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 04:25 PM   #4
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Daithi View Post
I wonder what is causing these explosions. Of course the first thing that comes to mind is terrorism or sabotage that doesn't get reported in the Chinese media. However, it is probably more likely aluminum dust in the air that a spark ignites (or something along those lines). Either way, I could just imagine if something like that were occurring in the U.S., and I quickly realize why iPads and Kindles are not being produced here.
My first thought is either reverse wired capacitor, or a propane tank on a fork lift. It could also be diecasting machinery if they are making metal parts.

How big an explosion are we talking?
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2011, 07:36 PM   #5
david_e
Seriously?
david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.david_e ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Mini, iWhatever
Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaKing View Post
Looks like the Fire, Nook and other "tablets" aren't the only things bugging Apple's iPad.
Dobby says muggles is sad.
david_e is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-22-2011, 11:46 AM   #6
J. Strnad
Guru
J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.J. Strnad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo, Kindle 3, Paperwhite
Time to remember that our inexpensive Chinese-made tech goodies come at a price to the Chinese people who work in conditions that we would not tolerate in the US.
J. Strnad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 05:37 PM   #7
SeaKing
Frequent Flier
SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SeaKing ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KB kindle aboard, Galx Tab 7.0 Plus, trying out Droid 1 as mini-tab
Updates on the explosions in China-

More information--

"Explosion at Pegatron Factory for Apple Products, Injuries Reported"

http://www.macrumors.com/2011/12/18/...ries-reported/

"Explosion at Factory Run By Apple Supplier Pegatron Injures 61"

http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2397840,00.asp

"Apple iPad 2 factory explosion caused by Aluminum dust again"
(my underline)

http://www.slashgear.com/apple-ipad-...gain-20203591/

following translation not so good- (the local view)

http://dotnetmobile.com/2011/12/expl...rted-ios-blog/

Dust is always a problem for flammability or explosions.
coal dust
cotton or other fiber dust
tire grinding dust
metal dust
even grain dust (the grains you eat)
SeaKing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:52 PM   #8
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
Powdered aluminum together with rust gives you a crude thermite. That would explain the death toll. Metal fires are always bad and if I recall correctly water would only feed this one.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote