Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 12-15-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, nook Glowlight Plus, Apple iPad Air 2
Thinking about a T1

I have an Amazon Kindle 3, which I do like. The only issue I have is that it doesn't do ePub. My wife has a nook Simple Touch, which does to ePub. Converting ePubs to mobi in Calibre is getting old.

So, I'm thinking with the $50 trade in for the Kindle, and the price of the T1 down to $99, I should be able to get a T1 for $49, not a bad price, and I get a reader than can do ePub.

If anyone has used both, am I going to lose anything (other than access to Amazon for purchases)? I have already decrypted all my azw purchases and converted to ePub in Calibre, so I won't lose access to my content.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, flames?
apastuszak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 04:34 PM   #2
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by apastuszak View Post
I have an Amazon Kindle 3, which I do like. The only issue I have is that it doesn't do ePub. My wife has a nook Simple Touch, which does to ePub. Converting ePubs to mobi in Calibre is getting old.

So, I'm thinking with the $50 trade in for the Kindle, and the price of the T1 down to $99, I should be able to get a T1 for $49, not a bad price, and I get a reader than can do ePub.

If anyone has used both, am I going to lose anything (other than access to Amazon for purchases)? I have already decrypted all my azw purchases and converted to ePub in Calibre, so I won't lose access to my content.

Ideas, thoughts, comments, flames?
You might be able to do better then $50 for your K3. Try selling it for $75 in the Flea Market section of MR. A new one goes for a bit more then that so I think $75 is very reasonable and that would drop the price of the T1 even lower.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 05:01 PM   #3
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Just remember that if your wife downloads an epub from B&N, it doesn't mean that you can automatically open it on your Sony. Still have to deal with DRM, if it has it.

On the other hand, keeping just one file-type (epub) will be easier to maintain than keeping 2. Once it is DRM free, you can use it on any device that uses spubs.

But if you want to get another reader, I'd hang on to the Kindle until you are sure you like the new one. I have the Nook STR and the Sony PRS-T1, and I will say that I prefer the Sony over the Nook.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 05:48 PM   #4
Pomtroll
Guru
Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pomtroll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, Sony T1, Kindle Touch, Kindle PW1
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
Just remember that if your wife downloads an epub from B&N, it doesn't mean that you can automatically open it on your Sony. Still have to deal with DRM, if it has it.

On the other hand, keeping just one file-type (epub) will be easier to maintain than keeping 2. Once it is DRM free, you can use it on any device that uses spubs.

But if you want to get another reader, I'd hang on to the Kindle until you are sure you like the new one. I have the Nook STR and the Sony PRS-T1, and I will say that I prefer the Sony over the Nook.

Vic
I like the Sony T1 better than the Nook STR though the Nook is a very nice reader too (yes I have way too many readers ). It is all what we find best meets our needs & likes. But it is a good suggestion to hold onto your K3 though to make sure you do like the Sony T1. And yes I have one of them too & the Touch too.

One suggestion though. Check out to make sure the Sony Store has the types of books you like in the price range you like. Of course you could side load books from many places, but it is an extra step or two.
Pomtroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:48 PM   #5
VicLavigne
e-reading since 2008
VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!VicLavigne goes to infinity... and beyond!

Device: Nook STR, Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pomtroll View Post
I like the Sony T1 better than the Nook STR though the Nook is a very nice reader too (yes I have way too many readers ). It is all what we find best meets our needs & likes. But it is a good suggestion to hold onto your K3 though to make sure you do like the Sony T1. And yes I have one of them too & the Touch too.

One suggestion though. Check out to make sure the Sony Store has the types of books you like in the price range you like. Of course you could side load books from many places, but it is an extra step or two.
Oh no, I didn't think any Sony users would refer to the Sony's store for e-books.

I'm on my 2nd Sony Reader, and I have only used the Sony store for some free ebooks. If the wireless ordering/downloading is real important to you, you may want to keep the Kindle. Not that you can't do it with the Sony, but Sony's store is not on the same par as Amazon. But for what it is worth, I have found sideloading to be slightly less convenient but much more rewarding in terms of store choice, pricing, and saving back-ups. Plus depending on where I buy it, I may need to remove the DRM, or convert from one file-type to another.

Vic
VicLavigne is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I've been able to use my WiFi to order from several stores like Kobo direct to the T1. The browser on the T1 is good enough for that.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:53 PM   #7
apastuszak
Evangelist
apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.apastuszak reads for the sheer pleasure of reading.

I am buying from B&N and decrypting and sideloading now. So, content is not all that important to me. My thinking now is:

1. Kindle - no ePub, no memory card. I'd like to overcome both those limits.
2. nook STR - Internal memory is segregated into space for B&N purchased content and sideloaded. Most internal memory is used for B&N content. Sideloaded content onto a memory card shows up under "My Documents" instead of the rest of your eBooks. This is also an issue for me in the nook STR that I would like to overcome.

So, if the Sony T1 will not segregate my content, will take a memory card, and will do ePub, then it's a win over the other two readers for me

The only thing I don't like about the Sony so far is fact that the page turn buttons are not in the bezel.

Other than that, my research leads me to believe that the Sony T1 is a win over the current nook STR and Kindle because of the features I listed above. Thoughts? Comments?
Old 12-15-2011, 06:54 PM   #8
Avwriter
Addict
Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Avwriter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 505, 600, 350, T-1, PW1, Voyage, Oasis2
I really do not find the Sony store to be that bad. The selection is not as wide, but the prices, at least for mainstream fiction, are about the same as everywhere else. I say use the Sony store when they have what you want; it is very convenient. When they do not, then look elsewhere. I guess it really depends on what you like to read.
Avwriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 06:55 PM   #9
apastuszak
Evangelist

Does the T1 have a browser? On the Kindle, I can click on a mobi file and it will download it and add it to my library. Will the T1 do something similar for ePubs?
Old 12-15-2011, 08:18 PM   #10
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Quote:
Does the T1 have a browser? On the Kindle, I can click on a mobi file and it will download it and add it to my library. Will the T1 do something similar for ePubs?
Yes, the T1 has a browser, and you can download files from the web to it.

Do you use your K3 for anything besides just reading books? I use my K3 for subscriptions that aren't available at Sony, and I'm also a Prime member so I get access to a free book a month from the Lending Library. Maybe there's a store nearby where you can demo a T1.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2011, 09:00 PM   #11
apastuszak
Evangelist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
Yes, the T1 has a browser, and you can download files from the web to it.

Do you use your K3 for anything besides just reading books? I use my K3 for subscriptions that aren't available at Sony, and I'm also a Prime member so I get access to a free book a month from the Lending Library. Maybe there's a store nearby where you can demo a T1.
I use the Kindle solely for books. I don't have any subscriptions. If I was going to subscribe to any magazines, I would probably do it on the iPad, since magazines work better on the large screen experience, though I know the iPad is horrendous outdoors.

There is nothing keeping me on the Kindle subscription-wise or content-wise. Some of the books I have bought, were actually formatted better in ePub vs mobi, due to ePub's ability to handle drop caps, and it better support for tables and formatting (HTML4 vs 3.2). When buying certain books, especially reference books, ePub is a clear winner over azw/mobi.
Old 12-16-2011, 12:28 AM   #12
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Sounds like the T1 would be a good option for you. I agree with the others that you can probably get more money resale than the trade-in but if the extra money isn't with the hassle of resale then go for the trade-in.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
geoffwood
Addict
geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geoffwood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K4NT+K4T+PRST1
Quote:
2. nook STR - Internal memory is segregated into space for B&N purchased content and sideloaded. Most internal memory is used for B&N content. Sideloaded content onto a memory card shows up under "My Documents" instead of the rest of your eBooks. This is also an issue for me in the nook STR that I would like to overcome.
I'm not sure what I am doing differently, perhaps using Calibre to sideload directly to the Memory Card, but all 700+ of my books show as books. I have nothing listed in "My Files" except a few Calibre files.
geoffwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2011, 07:51 PM   #14
petercreasey
Wizard
petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.petercreasey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony: PRS 950 & T1, Kobo: Aura One & Forma
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicLavigne View Post
I didn't think any Sony users would refer to the Sony's store for e-books
Vic, Yours is really an off-the-wall summary statement.

Many of us have been very served well with the Sony store for ebooks.
petercreasey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 06:18 AM   #15
grimborg
Enthusiast
grimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toysgrimborg shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-T1
Have you considered removing the drm from your epub files and converting them to mobi with calibre so your kindle can read them? I always remove the drm of the books I buy (I paid for them, so I own them), and it takes only a few seconds using the ineptepub thing.
grimborg is offline   Reply With Quote