Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-13-2011, 10:40 PM   #1
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Lawrence P. White Spirit of Empire Series?

Any one here read these books? Amazon is recommending it for me, and I don't recognize the author and would welcome some comments, pro or con.

(FWIW, the recommendation is because I've bought Liaden books and rated them very high. But somehow I seriously doubt these are at that level.)
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 09:34 AM   #2
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Well, that pretty much answers the question, since I know folks here aren't shy with opinions.

I had a hunch something didn't feel right about the recommendation.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-15-2011, 10:36 AM   #3
HomeInMyShoes
Grand Sorcerer
HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HomeInMyShoes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Haha. Never heard of this.

I think part of the author's note makes me leary: "Spirit of Empire is, at present, a three-book series. It might go to four books next year. Each book is twice as long as a standard novel, so you are getting excellent value along with a great story."

Equating length with value for a story?
HomeInMyShoes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2011, 11:00 AM   #4
kcmay
Addict
kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kcmay ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2
The only way to know for sure is to sample it. From the reviews, many people love the story despite the flaws in the writing.
kcmay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2011, 08:38 PM   #5
Reyter
Reyter began at the beginning.

Device: Sony
Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Any one here read these books? Amazon is recommending it for me, and I don't recognize the author and would welcome some comments, pro or con.

(FWIW, the recommendation is because I've bought Liaden books and rated them very high. But somehow I seriously doubt these are at that level.)
The first one was ok. I'm trying to find the second now. The book is about 600 pages but I think that could have easily been cut by around 100 pages and not taken away from the story at all.

I think the second (Knights of the Chosen) should be better. Surely the author has gotten all the background info in place after the first (Last of the Chosen).
Reyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-17-2012, 04:28 PM   #6
Caffinefiend
Caffinefiend began at the beginning.

Device: kindle
I've read both "knights of The Chosen" and " Last of the chosen", purchased on amazon kindle books store. I keep checking back to see if the third is yet available. I enjoyed them, and Whites writing style. It's a typical save the universe book with an earth man (architect in Nevada) snatched by chance of circumstance to the heart of the galactic kingdom through his act of bravery in saving the Princes of the empire.

There's plenty of intrique, good character development, nice world descriptions. White is pretty imaginative. I recommend both books, long but not boring at all.

Last edited by Caffinefiend; 03-17-2012 at 04:31 PM.
Caffinefiend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 08:38 PM   #7
jpjones23
jpjones23 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
FWIW, I've been reading science fiction since the mid-60's. The Spirit of Empire books were a thoroughly enjoyable space opera on a par, in my view with classics such as Foundation Trilogy, Door Into Summer, Stranger in a Strange Land and others. I have eagerly been waiting for the third book to get through the editor's or publisher's task to build an eBook. In my view, the length of a book neither qualifies nor eliminates it from being a great story and worth the read.
jpjones23 is offline   Reply With Quote