Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe

Notices

Old 07-03-2011, 04:31 PM   #1
mokel22
Zealot
mokel22 began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Edge
Screen Protectors for the PE & EE

I need at least 1 screen protector for the lcd side of my EE and I figured while I was shopping around and searching the forum I would compile the plethora of screen protector resources we have for prospecting PE & EE owners.

Option 1: XO Skins
Coverage: any screen on EE or PE
URL: http://xoskins.com/laptops-tablet-re...kin-protectors
Prices: EE -- LCD=$19.95 -- E-ink=$19.95 -- Both=$27.95 (all prices w/out shipping)
PE -- LCD=$17.95 -- E-ink=$15.95 -- Both=$20.95 (all prices w/out shipping)
Stickiness:It has been reported that XO skins stay smooth.
Notes: People claim these work the best, but they also cost a pretty penny.

Option 2: NU Shield (compliments of cheyennedonna)
Coverage: any screen on EE
URL: http://nushield.com/ to find product order now by manufacturer>custom size product list>then in the textfields Entourage and Edge.
Prices: EE -- Both=$25.50 +shipping
Stickiness: no data, but I will look into it.
Notes: Another good quality protector for a higher price.

People said that Kindle DX Screen protectors fit the E-ink screen of the EEs so here’s an example:
Option 3: BoxWave Kindle DX ClearTouch Anti-Glare Screen Protector
Coverage: EE e-ink screen
URL: http://www.amazon.com/BoxWave-Kindle.../dp/B002EJVLBW
Prices: $8.95 +2.54 shipping
Notes: People complained about not-so-good glare reduction, but the size was right.

In addition custom screen protectors will fit nicely. The dimensions for the two systems are:
borisb has measured the PE screens to be:
eReader: 3 1/2" (plus 1/16" to be precise) x 4 3/4" (plus 1/16")
LCD: 3 3/8" x 6" (plus 1/16")
I measure the EE screens to be:
LCD = 13 cm. * 22.1 cm.
E-ink = 14 cm.* 20.4 cm.
Option 4: Clarivue Custom Cut Screen Protectors
Coverage: any screen on EE or PE or anything else
URL: http://www.clarivue.com/custom-cut-s...protector.html
Prices: $14.99 w/out shipping
Stickiness: I've read that it stays smooth.
Notes: lifetime warranty w/ $3.00 shipping for the replacements and I read good reviews from them

From here on down I’ll post ipad screen protectors that you can custom cut for a budget screen protector. The dimensions for each device are posted above option 4 if you are just skimming.

Option 5: iPad Anti-Fingerprint, Anti-Glare - Matte Finishing Screen Protector (compliments of cheyennedonna)
URL: http://www.handhelditems.com/reusabl...html?=#reviews
Prices: currently $2.72 + free shipping
Stickiness: No stickiness.
Notes: They have mixed reviews and one guy said to avoid using their edge to get rid of the bubbles. Overall, this is so cheap, that it would be worth it to try them on one screen and worse comes to worse try a proven better solution. Many people in the reviews also said that the glare reduction worked. From trying it, I'd say that it definitely keeps the screen protected and no fingerprints thanks to the matte finish, but the stylus easily scratches mine. I will replace it once there's too many scratches, but it was worth the price.

3 Pack of Premium Crystal Clear Screen Protectors for Apple iPad
URL: http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003D8GAA0
Prices: currently $2.07 + free shipping
Stickiness: sammy2k said that it was smooth.
Notes: They were given pretty good reviews, but note that it will give glare so it is better for LCD. Also, people said the cloth left a lot of lint, so it is dis advised to use.

(note I could not find EE or PE screen protectors from Zagg anymore, if you can find them please tell me how so I can revise the thread)

Feel free to put up any good options that I did not include (and I will most likely add them). In addition reviews are appreciated. I will personally order one of the cheap Ipad screens and cut it up. If that fails I want to see how the custom ones feels so I can report back to you guys. Also can I get a double check on the PE and EE screen dimensions?

Last edited by mokel22; 07-24-2011 at 05:42 PM. Reason: My experience
mokel22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 11:36 PM   #2
Filark
Armed with a smile :)
Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Filark ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage eDGe & Pocket eDGe, Samsung Galaxy Note II
Thanks, Mokel! This will be very helpful, I imagine.

If I had it to do again (I know I could take them off, but I won't) I would look for a matte finish or glare-reducing protector, maybe one of the Clarivue or iPad ones, instead of the XOskins.

My overhead lighting is bouncing off the shiny XOs. I will just live with the glare, though, because they are thick and scratch-proof. Just have to be careful how I angle my EE for reading.
Filark is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-04-2011, 09:05 AM   #3
Gunnerp245
Gadget Freak
Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Gunnerp245 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EE, Note 8
Exclamation

@Mokel

Great job! An important characteristic for me is how well the protector on the ereader side is with writing. The unprotected screen is very 'slippery' when writing even with the better stylus. I am trying an ipad one, but it is too 'sticky', in that it causes too much drag.
Gunnerp245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2011, 11:43 AM   #4
mokel22
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunnerp245 View Post
@Mokel

Great job! An important characteristic for me is how well the protector on the ereader side is with writing. The unprotected screen is very 'slippery' when writing even with the better stylus. I am trying an ipad one, but it is too 'sticky', in that it causes too much drag.
Thanks Gunner, I'll put that into consideration and go ahead and note that in the descriptions. I've yet to use one, and that was an attribute of the protectors that I didn't even think of. Also, thank you Filark.
Old 07-24-2011, 05:44 PM   #5
mokel22
Zealot

I updated the stickiness and put my own experience into the "iPad Anti-Fingerprint, Anti-Glare - Matte Finishing Screen Protector" option
Advert
Old 07-24-2011, 07:35 PM   #6
lorenzoens
ex se ens
lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lorenzoens ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: enTourage edge & Pocket, Sony T1, Galaxy Note I, ex many others
I bought a pricey Vikuiti and I'm pretty happy with it on both screens of my EE. Seems very resistant and transparent. No need to say that the surface reflects light more than nude screens. The stylus runs better, no troubles for e-ink side.
lorenzoens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 05:16 AM   #7
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Device: Entourage Pocket Edge
I bought two galaxy tab screen protector from TJ Max for 4.99/each. Installed it tonight by cutting it to size with a board cutter. Its nice! I can be rough with my stylus on the screen without worrying about scratching the screen. It's advertised as military spec'ed and seems durable and tough. Only downside is that its grippy so the stylus doesn't run as smooth as it does on the native screen or a more rigid screen film.

I measured the screen to be:
LCD: 3 3/8 x 6in
E-ink: 3 1/2 x 4 3/4in

I cut a template and it seemed a wee bit small so I added 1/16in to the measurements and it fits perfectly.

I'll post UPC if anyone is interested.

OK just got off my lazy butt - the product is called:

Invisible Shield by ZAGG
UPC:843404066766
see www.zagg.com

Last edited by garyhgaryh; 07-25-2011 at 05:45 AM. Reason: add upc and prd desc
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2011, 01:48 PM   #8
mokel22
Zealot

Thanks lorenzoens and garyhgaryh for the input.
Zagg used to make pre-cut InvisibleSHIELDS for the Edge devices, but I could not find them anymore. I'm sure it would have saved you a little grief, but it's good to know that you've got yourself covered.
Old 07-26-2011, 01:25 PM   #9
pilgrimfl
pilgrimfl began at the beginning.

Device: enTourage Pocket eDGe Dualbook
Inexpensive Screen Protection

I installed two screen protectors from Monoprice.com

The ones for the Samsung 7 inch Galaxy Tab are $0.34 (yes, 34 cents each!). I just needed to trim them a bit with a rotary trimmer.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is also a great source for cables, adapters, cell phone accessories, etc.
pilgrimfl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 04:26 PM   #10
garyhgaryh
Zealot
garyhgaryh began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilgrimfl View Post
I installed two screen protectors from Monoprice.com

The ones for the Samsung 7 inch Galaxy Tab are $0.34 (yes, 34 cents each!). I just needed to trim them a bit with a rotary trimmer.

http://www.monoprice.com/products/pr...seq=1&format=2

Monoprice is also a great source for cables, adapters, cell phone accessories, etc.
.34 cents? How much is the shipping? I thought I got a deal for $5. Mine does come with a lint free cloth, a plastic edge, and a spray bottle.

Gary
garyhgaryh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2011, 07:19 PM   #11
muranternet
Connoisseur
muranternet began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3/Sony PRS-300/Nook Color running CM7/P eDGe
I cut an iPad 1 InvisibleShield for the LCD only, mostly because I messed up cutting the first one and had to use the other half. I like the screen action better now, and it doesn't feel like I'm going to break it every time I need to drag. The only problems I have are sideways swipes to get around in the ADW home app drawer; I always wind up clicking something by accident. The iPad 1 shield was also the cheapest for the most real estate, since I knew I was going to cut it up anyway. If you've never used a Zagg before, just bear in mind that it's going to look awful right after you put it on, and slightly better after a few hours, and awesome in about 2 days' drying time. You can also just keep squeegeeing out any trapped air or liquid while the shield sets. I think it would be too reflective for use on eInk, but I don't like the eInk side anyway (not sending Overdrive books to eInk without a song and dance was just absurd). I've tried 3 different shields on my Kindle 3 and didn't like any of them.

One thing I notice about the Zaggs is that if the screen starts acting weird, like zooming around after a light swipe, it usually means there's just too much skin oil on the surface. Wipe it down with a Kleenex and go. (Another argument in favor of screen protectors on resistives.)
muranternet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2011, 10:04 PM   #12
raylang
raylang began at the beginning.

I have screen protectors on both sides of my PE and was wondering if I go back to the bare screens do they scratch after a while without protection? I would think that because the unit folds protection is built in for the big bumps. Any feedback would be appreciated.
raylang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 01:33 AM   #13
Gremalkin
Gremalkin began at the beginning.

Device: Pocket eDGe
My family has been sharing a PE for about 5 months with no screen protectors/case. Yes, the screen scratches up pretty quickly, especially the LCD side - less than 2 weeks and I was seeing scratches. I think I read somewhere that it is plastic. Most of the scratches are where the stylus (not finger/nail) is used the most on the screen - leaving me to assume little bits of something gets on the end of the stylus or on the screen and just scratch away at that plastic surface. :-)

Needless to say, we are ordering screen protectors before Santa brings the family 3 more PEs!
Gremalkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011, 07:27 AM   #14
obsessed2
Wizard
obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.obsessed2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocket Edge X 2 , Edge, gTab, Kindle Fire, Nextbook 7S
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gremalkin View Post
My family has been sharing a PE for about 5 months with no screen protectors/case. Yes, the screen scratches up pretty quickly, especially the LCD side - less than 2 weeks and I was seeing scratches. I think I read somewhere that it is plastic. Most of the scratches are where the stylus (not finger/nail) is used the most on the screen - leaving me to assume little bits of something gets on the end of the stylus or on the screen and just scratch away at that plastic surface. :-)

Needless to say, we are ordering screen protectors before Santa brings the family 3 more PEs!
I had the same problem with my PE. I'm pretty heavy handed and my PE had some pretty deep scratches from using the stylus. Unfortunately, it seems like the stylus actually sharpens itself to a point after prolonged use. I ordered the XO Skins screen protector and after installing it the existing scratches were covered up to the point where they are barely noticeable. When I ordered the screen protector, I only ordered the LCD tablet protector (&17.95) and they sent the entire kit with a screen protector for the e-reader. These screen protectors are a little pricey, but they do a great job protecting the screen and the company offers lifetime replacement. I think their videos say it all:

http://xoskins.com/videos
obsessed2 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accesories, entourage edge, pocket edge, screen protector