Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Android Devices > enTourage eDGe > enTourage Archive

Notices

Old 12-20-2010, 08:35 AM   #1
sjarrel
Edge User

Edge falls apart?

On my eDGe (EE) the rubber strips begin to let go. I've already re-glued, but the edge is getting hot and then let them go again. Has anyone else this issue too?

Old 12-20-2010, 08:51 AM   #2
Hiltoru
Edge User

Falls apart

I've had my Edge since last May and I'm pretty rough on mine. No such problems at all.

Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 08:58 AM   #3
borisb
Edge User

I haven't had this problem at all. It's possible that at the factory the glue wasn't fully or properly applied, resulting in this eventual weakness. I would recommend an epoxy glue to bond the rubber to the plastic, but you can check with enTourage for suggestsions.

Old 12-20-2010, 10:00 AM   #4
Dr. T
Edge User

I haven't seen this either. How hot does our eDGe get?!

Old 12-20-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
kenjennings
Edge User

When it's running from the battery I notice parts of it get pretty warm, but not nearly as hot as some laptops/devices I have.

Advert
Old 12-20-2010, 12:27 PM   #6
Dr. T
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenjennings View Post
When it's running from the battery I notice parts of it get pretty warm, but not nearly as hot as some laptops/devices I have.
I really haven't noticed this from my device. I mean, I feel a little warmth, but nothing much. Certainly nothing that would seem able to un-glue the rubber strips!

Old 12-20-2010, 01:46 PM   #7
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. T View Post
How hot does our eDGe get?!
The current temp. is 23.1°-27.3°C (73.6°-81.7°F)
But I remember I did see 34°C (92.2°F) once.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:54 PM   #8
Steed
Edge User

I have not had this problem either and I have had my EE since last April. Mine has never gotten hot or even warm enough to affect the glue on the rubber. You may want to go ahead and contact Entourage, there may be something else going on with your device causing it to get hot and melt the glue.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:01 PM   #9
Hopi
Edge User

I previously emailed TS about the e-ink side getting warm (the top half when the reader is on the left) and they replied that it's normal. But I'm not sure what range of temperature is considered normal and I haven't followed up to ask. If you have access to an infrared thermometer, you may try taking the temperature of your eDGe to see how hot is hot and give a feedback to the TS people. Unfortunately, my eDGe is still with the RMA people so I can't try this out myself. But I'm quite sure it did not get hot enough to melt the glue off the rubber strip.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:18 PM   #10
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hopi View Post
I previously emailed TS about the e-ink side getting warm (the top half when the reader is on the left) and they replied that it's normal. But I'm not sure what range of temperature is considered normal and I haven't followed up to ask. If you have access to an infrared thermometer, you may try taking the temperature of your eDGe to see how hot is hot and give a feedback to the TS people. Unfortunately, my eDGe is still with the RMA people so I can't try this out myself. But I'm quite sure it did not get hot enough to melt the glue off the rubber strip.
If your highest ever recorded is 92F, then it should be well within tolerable range for most chassis of computers and electronic devices. Certain laptops can get up to 110F occassionally on parts of exterior. If the eDGe uses the normal types of material used on most industrial designs on most computers, then it shouldn't be the cause of these rubber parts. A lot of computers I have seen though do have a tendency to have rubber parts attached on the surface fall off, due to repeated or prolonged mechanical stress. It seems that most long time EE owners have not observed this, is there any way that you might hold, use, or transport the edge in a different way than the average person?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
borisb
Edge User

Again, there's always the chance the glue was improperly applied (or past the "best before date") at the factory at the time of manufacture...

Old 12-21-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
Dr. T
Edge User

It would be worth contacting Tech Support, I think... both about the heat and the glue. Maybe they can help you out in some way.

The point about your particular usage, too, is a good one. Any thoughts about how you use the EE differently than most?

Old 12-21-2010, 02:37 PM   #13
sjarrel
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by HardBall View Post
It seems that most long time EE owners have not observed this, is there any way that you might hold, use, or transport the edge in a different way than the average person?
Thanks for the clarification about the temperature. I have my E-eDGe from april 2010 and I am a careful user. During the night it's in the sleeve, shut down and not on AC.
It started a few weeks ago with the rounded cornerrubbers on the tablet-side. Later on with the long ones on the reader-side.
Most of the time I have the screens folded back to back.

Old 12-21-2010, 02:52 PM   #14
HardBall
Edge User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrel View Post
Thanks for the clarification about the temperature. I have my E-eDGe from april 2010 and I am a careful user. During the night it's in the sleeve, shut down and not on AC.
It started a few weeks ago with the rounded cornerrubbers on the tablet-side. Later on with the long ones on the reader-side.
Most of the time I have the screens folded back to back.
I see; so you use the corner rubber feet as support on a regular basis (when you are using the e-reader side). Many other EE users might only use in that mode very occasionally, such as myself. In general it should be a pretty easy fix, as long as you find the right type of glue, I'm a comp E. and also have repaired laptops on many occasions. But tech support might have a better solution for that.

Old 12-22-2010, 04:04 AM   #15
sjarrel
Edge User

Well, thank you all for the reply. It's really not a big problem for me. I can glue it myself, but I was curious if I was the only one with this issue. (Must be the tropical climate overhere )
I don't think I use the device much different then the other members do. When I read an e-book I fold it back to back and have it on my lap: well, I think it's there for.
I am still very happy with the device. I gives me almost what I expected and a lot more.
Almost? Well, I expected the 90 degree rotation on the readerside and I expected the camera to be usefull (videochat with my daugter living in the USA, now Scotland).
A Lot? Yes, everything after the first update is a big bonus to me. And so it this Forumfamily, growing with people from all over the world every day