Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 06-07-2011, 12:23 PM   #91
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypt View Post
I saw this issue as well, but it was only on some fonts. On others it looked fine. I personally liked the new nook. I have a nook classic and a kindle 3 so the changes in new nook are not as much that it would make me buy it but it's pretty neat. I like how you can add/remove the margins.
Does anyone know if the Nook Touch allow you to stick with the embedded fonts that are in the epub? If this were the case, it would be possible -- I guess -- to change the sizing by hand.

We really need an automated tool for embedded font changing. There's an awesome Calibre plugin that will REMOVE embedded fonts, but editing them in a big batch is apparently much more tricky.

EDIT: 'Course, you'd have to change the files on your computer and then sideload them, so there's that.
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:24 PM   #92
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post

The topic of this thread IS about the inadequacies of this device. The point of this thread was to discuss the inadequacies without getting side-tracked in OTHER threads. If you don't want to read about Nook Touch inadequacies, why are you in the "petty quibbles" thread?

You are not discussing the inadequacies of the device, you have a back-and-forth with someone else that has nothing to do with the device
negris123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:50 PM   #93
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by negris123 View Post
You are not discussing the inadequacies of the device, you have a back-and-forth with someone else that has nothing to do with the device
Fir enough. But the back-and-forth arose because they told someone to STOP discussing the inadequacies of the device. (Or, well, to be specific, called them an Amazon fanboi for pointing out the dark partition issue, which they -- and I -- consider to be an inadequacy of the device.) However, since you think I'm off topic, I'll stop discussing the issue with them. My apologies.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:52 PM   #94
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Does anyone know if the Nook Touch allow you to stick with the embedded fonts that are in the epub? If this were the case, it would be possible -- I guess -- to change the sizing by hand.
Yes, it does. I had a book with embedded fonts and I had to manually edit the CSS to remove the references to the fonts, so I could use the ones in the nook.
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 12:53 PM   #95
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Originally Posted by afv011 View Post
Yes, it does. I had a book with embedded fonts and I had to manually edit the CSS to remove the references to the fonts, so I could use the ones in the nook.
So does it not give you the option to override the embedded fonts? My Sony reader is that way as well. I don't much care for that, but at least the Calibre plugin exists.
Advert
Old 06-07-2011, 12:55 PM   #96
negris123
Zealot
negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.negris123 taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Quote:
Fir enough. But the back-and-forth arose because they told someone to STOP discussing the inadequacies of the device. (Or, well, to be specific, called them an Amazon fanboi for pointing out the dark partition issue, which they -- and I -- consider to be an inadequacy of the device.) However, since you think I'm off topic, I'll stop discussing the issue with them. My apologies.
I also find inadequacies with the Touch (ghosting and not syncing, to name just two). It doesn't mean that I don't love it or I am not happy with my purchase, but of course, things can always be improved.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate that!
Old 06-07-2011, 12:57 PM   #97
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
I also find inadequacies with the Touch (ghosting and not syncing, to name just two). It doesn't mean that I don't love it or I am not happy with my purchase, but of course, things can always be improved.

Thanks for listening, I appreciate that!
Shucks. Any time.

I DO mean to thank you again for all the pictures. Especially the ghosting one -- that was you, right? Picture is definitely worth a thousand words in that case.
Old 06-07-2011, 12:58 PM   #98
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
actually for the record, it wasn't I who called him a fanboi, I just stated, how I found it funny that all of sudden all these Kindle owners show up in the nook thread to start pointing out it's shortcomings. It is SOP whenever a nook product is introduced.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:03 PM   #99
negris123
Zealot

Quote:
Shucks. Any time.

I DO mean to thank you again for all the pictures. Especially the ghosting one -- that was you, right? Picture is definitely worth a thousand words in that case.
Yes, I pointed out the ghosting, which I can still see if I am outside or sit by a window (or other bright conditions). I have seen a few posts of people saying it is overstated, but most of them have only used the device that is on display at a store, not outside. I would like to hear from people that own one and if they notice it more in the sunlight. After all, it's eink display, and one of the biggest selling points, that you can read in direct sunlight, yet it is under those conditions that the ghosting becomes obvious.
Old 06-07-2011, 01:05 PM   #100
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

Device: nook touch a Nook 3g (rooted) and a nookcolor (rooted)
Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
actually for the record, it wasn't I who called him a fanboi, I just stated, how I found it funny that all of sudden all these Kindle owners show up in the nook thread to start pointing out it's shortcomings. It is SOP whenever a nook product is introduced.
yes it is interesting ... why are Amazon fans so threated by another product?

They should be happy that B&N keep coming out with such good products, because it means Amazon will bring out something new and cheaper to try and keep up. If it was not for B&N and Kobo the Amazon fans would be paying much higher prices for poorer products.
iandix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:06 PM   #101
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies

Quote:
Yes, I pointed out the ghosting, which I can still see if I am outside or sit by a window (or other bright conditions). I have seen a few posts of people saying it is overstated, but most of them have only used the device that is on display at a store, not outside. I would like to hear from people that own one and if they notice it more in the sunlight. After all, it's eink display, and one of the biggest selling points, that you can read in direct sunlight, yet it is under those conditions that the ghosting becomes obvious.
For me, personally, even a tiny bit of ghosting is EXTREMELY distracting for me, so that picture was very helpful. Thank you again.

It's funny how eyes are. I don't get the LCD eyestrain that many people seem to get, but ghosting bothers me to a huge extent. I wonder why that is...
Old 06-07-2011, 01:08 PM   #102
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
yes it is interesting ... why are Amazon fans so threated by another product?

They should be happy that B&N keep coming out with such good products, because it means Amazon will bring out something new and cheaper to try and keep up. If it was not for B&N and Kobo the Amazon fans would be paying much higher prices for poorer products.
I know if it wasn't for Barnes and Noble the kindle owners would still be reading on this

http://blogkindle.com/wp-content/upl...-1-293x300.jpg

boswd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2011, 01:09 PM   #103
iandix
Addict
iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.iandix is far more humble than you.

this is interesting there is a web browser in the nook touch
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ent=FeedBurner
Old 06-07-2011, 01:11 PM   #104
iandix
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd View Post
I know if it wasn't for Barnes and Noble the kindle owners would still be reading on this

http://blogkindle.com/wp-content/upl...-1-293x300.jpg

doesn't look that different from their current ereaders. But then, many people love a 1980's look to their tech
Old 06-07-2011, 01:17 PM   #105
negris123
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by iandix View Post
this is interesting there is a web browser in the nook touch
http://www.the-digital-reader.com/20...ent=FeedBurner
I definitely want to try this!!