Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 06-06-2011, 12:33 PM   #1
anamardoll
Chasing Butterflies
anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anamardoll ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Uses batteries.
Smile Does Everyone Have A Book In Them?

Husband noted the other day that almost everyone we know (online and in Real Life) seems to be "writing a book".

It's so much easier now to get a book out there for people to read, with the advent of e-publishing. I consider this to be a good thing. I jokingly said to Husband that "everyone has a book in them!", but now I wonder if that's not perhaps true.

Open discussion: Do you have a book in you, and are you actively working (like, say, a chapter a month?) to get it out of your head and onto the page/screen?
anamardoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:39 PM   #2
Greg Anos
Grand Sorcerer
Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Greg Anos ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook
Quote:
Originally Posted by anamardoll View Post
Husband noted the other day that almost everyone we know (online and in Real Life) seems to be "writing a book".

It's so much easier now to get a book out there for people to read, with the advent of e-publishing. I consider this to be a good thing. I jokingly said to Husband that "everyone has a book in them!", but now I wonder if that's not perhaps true.

Open discussion: Do you have a book in you, and are you actively working (like, say, a chapter a month?) to get it out of your head and onto the page/screen?
I try not to eat that much roughage at one time...

I pop out the occasional Red story, when I have the time, but I have no other literary expectations...
Greg Anos is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 12:40 PM   #3
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
I've been working on my first novel for years. I'm sure it is in there somewhere, but the gestation period makes and elephant's look positively microscopic...

But I actually don't believe everyone has at least one book in them, even though my father used to say that often (he never wrote one, though he did write his memoirs). If you consider the huge number of non-readers in this world, I very much doubt many of them would have the inspiration or interest in producing one.

That said:

Spoiler:
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #4
VydorScope
Wizard
VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VydorScope ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Once I mention that I have book out, everyone tells me about this great book they want to write and some even pitch business ideas about how we could turn out a series together. I am talking, everyone with out fail including people who as far as I know do read much if any at all.

So I would say... everyone at least thinks they have a book in them.
VydorScope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:49 PM   #5
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Absolutely no interest in writing a book. It would cut into my reading time too much.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #6
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Meebook M7, Paperwhite 2021, Fire HD 8+, Fire HD 10+, Lenovo Tab P12
Hmmm.... I think everyone has a story in them worth telling, whether it be fact or fiction. However, that doesn't mean that they, themselves, are the right person to be writing it.
I've got quite a book in me, but unfortunately it can't be written until all parties are deceased, and by then, I may be as well. I know my writing strengths, and they don't include long-format. But I may leave extensive notes for my hiers. Wait... I won't have any. Time capsule, then?
CWatkinsNash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:51 PM   #7
odiakkoh
Guru
odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odiakkoh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 5s
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Absolutely no interest in writing a book. It would cut into my reading time too much.
ditto. not to mention im a horrible writer and very uncreative.
odiakkoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:53 PM   #8
maianhvk
whimsical
maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.maianhvk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: current: PPW 4. brick: K3 & Voyage.
I tried to write something once or twice but gave up eventually. My hand-writing might be legible but my writing sucks!
maianhvk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 12:56 PM   #9
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
I've got quite a book in me, but unfortunately it can't be written until all parties are deceased, and by then, I may be as well. I know my writing strengths, and they don't include long-format. But I may leave extensive notes for my hiers. Wait... I won't have any. Time capsule, then?
Clearly you can write - you've just produced a cliff-hanger right there .

Does it have anything to do with carnal relations between midgets and giants?

Last edited by orlok; 06-06-2011 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-06-2011, 12:58 PM   #10
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist
CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CWatkinsNash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VydorScope View Post
Once I mention that I have book out, everyone tells me about this great book they want to write and some even pitch business ideas about how we could turn out a series together. I am talking, everyone with out fail including people who as far as I know do read much if any at all.

So I would say... everyone at least thinks they have a book in them.
I would say it's the same with screenwriting. I was working on a couple of projects a while back, and I was in Florida at the time and had to fly back to Nashville to meet with the guy I was doing the work for. My mom, who is easily impressed, had to tell everyone who knew us that I was flying out to work on a film project. Naturally, they ALL had an idea (usually several) for a movie.

Of course, once they found out I was being brought in on a work-for-hire basis, they lost interest. "What? You mean you don't get credit??" Uh, no, I get paid. Bragging rights don't pay the bills.
Old 06-06-2011, 01:00 PM   #11
CWatkinsNash
IOC Chief Archivist

Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Clearly you can write - you've just produced a cliff-hanger right there .

Does it have anthing to do with carnal relations between midgets and giants?
That would be Chapter 14 - Looking Up, Up, Up at Love
Chapter Subheading: Totally Worth the Neck Pain
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #12
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWatkinsNash View Post
That would be Chapter 14 - Looking Up, Up, Up at Love
Chapter Subheading: Totally Worth the Neck Pain
Old 06-06-2011, 01:01 PM   #13
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
I'm going to clarify my answer a bit. Do I think it would be cool to have a book on people's shelves (or ereaders) that had my name on it as the author—that people pointed to and said: "Wow! what an awesome book."? Sure, you bet I would. Do I a have story to tell and/or the determination/talent/inclination to attempt to tell it? Nope and nope.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-06-2011 at 01:47 PM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 01:28 PM   #14
JDK1962
Groupie
JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JDK1962 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Samsung Galaxy Tab 10.1 (for PDFs)
I think writing is a great means of creative expression. However, I don't think that everyone has in them a novel that is sufficiently well-written and original to warrant publication.

The bar to publication has become incredibly low, which I think has led to the rise of the "cargo cult" writer (if unfamiliar with the term, I've borrowed it from Richard Feynman and his description of "cargo cult" science...well worth a few minutes on Wikipedia if you're not familiar with the concept). These are people who have a general feel for what a book is and what it looks like, and can generate the required number of words, but have absolutely no idea of how to create well-constructed fiction worth reading.

Separating good from bad writing has always been an issue. There's the old story, usually attributed to Flannery O'Connor, being asked whether she felt that writing workshops discouraged too many young writers, and responding that she didn't think it discouraged enough of them. So what does it mean to the writing landscape when all the gates are removed? Caveat emptor, full stop?
JDK1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2011, 02:27 PM   #15
apbschmitz
Lord of Frogtown
apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.apbschmitz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Nobody worries about the number of bad golfers out there. It's just accepted that they love the game, play it, it drives them a little nuts sometimes but they're not harming anyone. I think writing will become more like that. You'll accept the fact that there are a number of hobbyists who enjoy sharing stories with their friends. Some of them, maybe to their own surprise, will be artists. Most of them won't be. But I don't imagine they will make the world any worse by writing an eBook. Flannery O'Connor aside, why discourage anyone?
apbschmitz is offline   Reply With Quote