Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 05-22-2011, 09:20 AM   #1
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
"Slobbery Lips That Suck and Whistle" and other Loathsome Descriptions

We all enjoy a good description, especially descriptions in horror fiction. Lovecraft, of course, is known for writing some wonderful descriptions in his fiction. But other horror authors also have written some wonderfully ghastly words that stir the imagination.

The one that prompted the title of this thread is from Brian Lumley's collection of short stories that I just recently bought, Haggopian and Other Stories, titled "The Kiss of Bugg-Shash." (The ebook is only $4.99, from Amazon.)

Here's some great description from that story that really moved me:

"Sucking and whistling with thickly viscous lips, the mouths glistened and slobbered and, from out of those gluttonous orifices poured the lunatic chitterings of alien song - the Song of Bugg-Shash - as His substance towered up and leaned inwards to form a slimy ceiling over their very heads!"

I love that description, since it captures an intimate moment of supreme horror!

Perhaps you have a great description you'd like to share with other Members. Remember, this is not a Self-Promotion thread.

Do you have a great description you'd like to share?

Don

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 05-22-2011 at 01:14 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2011, 11:33 AM   #2
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
One that I can think of that could be good or bad in a general sense would be 'he rolled his eyes at her.' Not sure if it fits the thread as intended but depending on the genre and intent of the author it could either add to the horror or have a story descend into unintended hilarity I would think.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #3
mr ploppy
Feral Underclass
mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mr ploppy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 2nd hand paperback
I've never been a fan of purple prose and torturous similes. To me it's just the writer trying to look clever at the expense of the story.
mr ploppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:38 PM   #4
Mel Comley
Addict
Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mel Comley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
I agree with Mr Ploppy can't stand purple prose, just turns me off a book, often has me in fits of laughter too. ;-)
Mel Comley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:08 PM   #5
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel Comley View Post
I agree with Mr Ploppy can't stand purple prose, just turns me off a book, often has me in fits of laughter too. ;-)
The meaning of phrases can change over time as well. On the DVD of "War of the Worlds," (the 1953 version) Ann Robinson told how when she saw a screening of the movie in recent years and her character said the line about 'bawling her eyes out' the young teenagers in the crowd laughed at it. The line meant something different to them than it had to audiences when the movie was 1st made. lol.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert