Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 12-02-2019, 07:37 PM   #661
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ipad, Kindle PW, Kobo Clara; iphone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xanthe View Post
Accepting The Lance arrived today!!!

Now the big decision is, do I read it immediately, or start a reread of the previous book and save this one for Christmas?

Decisions, decisions...

The first page alone (!) starts off with the Commander of Agents realizing that some Old Tech engines that she wanted to activate against the Scouts have gone inexplicably missing.

Oh, how I wanted to keep reading!
Oh, lucky you - mine isn’t due until tomorrow. I share your dilemma. I’ve been rereading the last few books to get ready for this release, and still have one to go. Plus a book to read for the New Leaf book club. And as you say, it’s lovely to have one saved for Christmas....But the temptation is to dive in right now!

Good luck resisting, or not
Victoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:12 AM   #662
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Just downloaded mine. But no Audible book, yet. Though I know Eileen Stevens is the narrator, so it shouldn't be too long to wait.

I did a re-read of the previous book last week, just to get up to speed. And then read all 4 Constellation collections, just in case there was something in there I might have missed. And, just because.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-03-2019, 11:50 AM   #663
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
That's my second dilemma - do I get the ebook version now, in addition to the hardcover, or wait until I do a massive reread of the entire series, and pick it up then?

Getting the audiobook goes without saying - that Audible credit is already burning a hole in my pocket!

I hope Lee & Miller appreciate that they get three buys out of me for each book they issue, lol.

I picked up the anthology "Infinite Stars: Dark Frontiers" just for their short story (though I'm sure to enjoy the other authors, too).

The story blurb:

Quote:
...Their original story for us, “Dark Secrets,” is the story of a Terran-Liaden team running a small ship who engage pirates, thus putting the station itself in danger. They are put on probation, then encounter further complications while trying to deliver their payload.

AUTHOR’S NOTE: The Liaden Universe® is populated by those who survived the collapse of another universe, long ago. Not only people came through in the Great Migration; some of the war machines and booby traps built by the Great Enemy also came in. These are known dangers and several groups, notably the Liaden Scouts, have taken up the task of gathering Old Tech and seeing it destroyed. Possession of Old Tech is a crime. Caerli and Simon are unique to this story. It is, just a little, unusual, to find a Terran-Liaden partnership running a small ship. The cultures aren’t quite mutually antagonistic, but it takes an extremely tolerant Liaden, or a very patient Terran, to make such a partnership work.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2019, 12:22 PM   #664
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Infinite Stars: Dark Frontiers was only so-so, IMHO. But YMMV.

Usually, L&M get 3 out of me, as well. eARC, ebook, and Audible. But now that I'm retired, I need to forgo that first one. So I'm eagerly reading it right now.
Old 12-03-2019, 11:56 PM   #665
CRussel
(he/him/his)

BTW, in case folks missed it, this from Sharon Lee today:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Lee
*Yes, there is supposed to be an Audible edition. No, I don't know why it's not available. No, I don't know when it will be available. Authors are always the last to know these things. Naturally, I deplore my ignorance, and the distress of those who had hoped to listen to the book today, but, really, the non-appearance of the Audible edition is not my fault.
Advert
Old 12-05-2019, 01:55 PM   #666
Victoria
Wizard
Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Victoria ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
She sounds like she’s being hounded by disgruntled listeners. Hopefully, your wait won’t be too long.

I usually only pick up their ebooks, but do buy everything they publish. I see that a number of people buy Liaden works in both ebook and hardcover. That somewhat puzzles me, because easy storage is a great advantage of digital media. But perhaps they don’t trust it long term.

I’m still reading the December book club selection, so haven’t started it yet. But it’s killing me
Old 12-05-2019, 04:10 PM   #667
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Well, I finished the eBook yesterday, and it was excellent! All sorts of story lines pulled together, and very well done.

I'm like you, I no longer buy dead-tree books. I have more than enough already, and, even though I've pared down with every move, still not enough bookshelves to hold them all.

Charlie.
Old 12-06-2019, 02:45 PM   #668
Victoria
Wizard

Great - good to know! I wondered how everyone was finding the book - now I’m really keen to get to it.
Old 12-08-2019, 05:30 AM   #669
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Hi, Liaden experts. Can you help me with the Miri/Val Con arc? I'm wanting to read their history prior to Accepting the Lance. I've read all the books prior to this some time back, and want to refresh my memory. TIA
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 12:23 PM   #670
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Hi, piperclassique. First and foremost, the best resource for things like reading order is probably Korval.com. But to go directly to the Miri/Val Con stories, the order would be:

1. Agent of Change
  2. Carpe Diem
  3. Plan B
  4. I Dare
  5. Dragon in Exile
  6. Neogenesis

Now, mixed in with those are the exclusively or primarily Theo stories:
  1. Fledgeling
  2. Saltation
  3. Ghost Ship
  4. Dragon Ship
  5. Alliance of Equals
  6. The Gathering Edge

and, one in which Miri/Val Con play significant roles, but aren't the central point, Necessity's Child. Which falls between Ghost Ship and Dragon Ship. Though all these later ones have a certain amount of overlap in time.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:18 PM   #671
piperclassique
A garbling groftpot
piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.piperclassique ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis, Voyage, Kobo mini, Samsung tablet, phones, whatever.
Exactly what I wanted to know. Many thanks, and I love the atavar.
piperclassique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2019, 02:03 PM   #672
CRussel
(he/him/his)

By the way, for those who might think that Accepting the Lance finishes the Liaden series of books, Sharon Lee has posted the forthcoming schedule on her blog. In short, there are at least five more Liaden books under contract, one of which, Trader's Leap, has already been turned in. (And no, Trader's Leap is NOT a Jethri book. But YES(!!) there are two more Jethri books coming.)
Old 12-10-2019, 12:45 AM   #673
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Lee
*Yes, there is supposed to be an Audible edition. No, I don't know why it's not available. No, I don't know when it will be available. Authors are always the last to know these things. Naturally, I deplore my ignorance, and the distress of those who had hoped to listen to the book today, but, really, the non-appearance of the Audible edition is not my fault.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victoria View Post
She sounds like she’s being hounded by disgruntled listeners. Hopefully, your wait won’t be too long.

I usually only pick up their ebooks, but do buy everything they publish. I see that a number of people buy Liaden works in both ebook and hardcover. That somewhat puzzles me, because easy storage is a great advantage of digital media. But perhaps they don’t trust it long term.

I’m still reading the December book club selection, so haven’t started it yet. But it’s killing me
Sharon Lee posted this afternoon that she has word from Audible that the audio book will be available tomorrow, December 10th. Good thing I saved a credit.

And, here's the link to the Audible version of Accepting the Lance.

Last edited by CRussel; 12-10-2019 at 12:54 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 12-24-2019, 10:44 AM   #674
Dopedangel
Wizard
Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dopedangel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boyue
I finished it a few days ago and after thinking about I feel it was underwhelming culmination of the last few books. Yes most of the different plot threads got conclusions and although I enjoyed it overall I was not satisfied with how the main story concluded.
Dopedangel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2020, 02:49 AM   #675
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
A question about Accepting The Lance:

Spoiler:
Did Kezzie stay on Surebleak or go on the ship?

I realized after I finished the HC that I didn't recall whether or not it was mentioned. Can't use a Search function with a paper book, lol.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote