Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Color & Nook Tablet

Notices

Old 02-22-2011, 01:41 PM   #1
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Does Nook Color have 3G?

I was looking around see wifi-only ones but no 3G. Is there not a 3G model? If not, is one planned for future release that anyone is aware of?

Thanks.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 02:24 PM   #2
geertm
Guru
geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geertm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
I was looking around see wifi-only ones but no 3G. Is there not a 3G model? If not, is one planned for future release that anyone is aware of?

Thanks.
There is no 3G Nook Color model.
Will there be one in the future? No one knows.
geertm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 03:59 PM   #3
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks.

Are there any color, backlit screen eReaders that have 3G?
Old 02-22-2011, 04:35 PM   #4
pl001
Evangelist
pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pl001 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Color, EVO3D, Surface RT, Galaxy S5, Surface 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by wvcherrybomb View Post
Thanks.

Are there any color, backlit screen eReaders that have 3G?
You have to get a tablet on a wireless plan to get that.

Even if B&N does release a 3G version, I can pretty much guarantee it will be tied to a wireless plan. Way too powerful of a device to offer it for free.

Another option would be to tether it to a cell phone. I have heard of this being done but have not attempted it.
pl001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2011, 05:10 PM   #5
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma

Okay, thanks.

I was really just wondering because I have 3G on my Kindle and it's nice to be able to get online for free anytime/anywhere. But, of course, the internet is always better in color and an ereader is good way to avoid the expense of a data plan. Maybe Amazon are the only ones who offer it?

I figured if any color reader would have it, it would be the Nook Color since it's the big name one.
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #6
HeyYou
Interested in everything!
HeyYou began at the beginning.

Device: Nook & Nook Color
I recall someone stating that a rooted e-ink nook could get 3G Internet. However, I don't believe the NC has 3G hardware installed. The NC, even with stock ROMs, is a pretty nice web browser, and I don't think B&N would be able to provide 3G given how much data would be used.

That leaves the 'other' tablets offered by cellular providers - the iPad, Galaxy, Xoom, etc. Pretty heavy cost penalty compared to a nook.

That said, I've been quite happy using WiFi with my NC - Panera, McDonald's, and many local restaurants offer free and ubiquitous service.
HeyYou is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2011, 05:31 AM   #7
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
They've discontinued the 3G e-ink Nook, so I doubt you'll see a NC with 3G, unless they ink a monthly fee type deal with a cell company.

I think they figure you can either use wi-fi, or stop in at a B&N store and use their wi-fi, if for some reason you can't configure wi-fi at your house. The only real reason for 3G on the Kindle (and the Nook) IMO was because it was idiot-proof - no knowledge needed.

That said, you can tether the NC to a phone that broadcasts infrastructure-mode wi-fi tethering. I'm on the $25/mo Virgin mobile unlimited data/text/300 min plan, and my LG Optimus V works great for this.

Non-infrastructure (adhoc) tethering can be done, but that requires rooting and a special script to switch wireless drivers when you want to do it.

My wife liked the Kindle 3G for doing quick internet in a pinch, but I haven't seen her use it since she got the Optimus V along with me.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote