Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 02-18-2011, 04:21 AM   #16
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
You're probably not going to want to use the TTS capability of any current reader to read a story aloud to children. Have you heard the TTS of the Kindle?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 09:32 AM   #17
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The TTS is fine. It is no worse then the computer ones I have heard. If you are someone who is visually impaired or has problems reading, the TTS is probably a great thing even if it sounds robotic. At least you can listen to books that are not available as audio books without having to wait for someone to read the book to tape for you.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 09:36 AM   #18
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The TTS is fine. It is no worse then the computer ones I have heard. If you are someone who is visually impaired or has problems reading, the TTS is probably a great thing even if it sounds robotic. At least you can listen to books that are not available as audio books without having to wait for someone to read the book to tape for you.
We must agree to differ, I'm afraid. The Kindle's TTS cannot even begin to be compared to human-read audiobooks; personally I find it almost incomprehensible.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:39 AM   #19
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I agree, the audio books are better.

If a book is not available as an audio book it is better to listen on TTS then not be able to read it at all.

It takes a very long time for most books to be read to tape or CD when a book is requested. Most organizations and schools use volunteers to provide the books for visually impaired students. It is not a quick process. So if you are a student and you need to read a book for class that is not already recorded and available you can wait for the book to be read and delivered to you or you can use TTS.
Old 02-18-2011, 09:49 AM   #20
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
I agree, the audio books are better.

If a book is not available as an audio book it is better to listen on TTS then not be able to read it at all.

It takes a very long time for most books to be read to tape or CD when a book is requested. Most organizations and schools use volunteers to provide the books for visually impaired students. It is not a quick process. So if you are a student and you need to read a book for class that is not already recorded and available you can wait for the book to be read and delivered to you or you can use TTS.
Certainly, I agree with you. I don't believe the OP is buying readers for blind children, though; I got the impression that she was wanted to get a reader that could "read aloud" to children in a normal school. I believe personally that this would prove to be a disappointing experience, but I may of course be wrong. I would advise the OP to listen to the Kindle's TTS before buying on that basis.
Advert
Old 02-18-2011, 10:10 AM   #21
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast

It works well for kids with dyslexia and other reading problems. It allows a child to read along with the voice. Again, the voice isn't great but there are people who are finding a great deal of success combining the TTS with reading.

I have learning disabilities so I follow some of those forums and have seen the posts here, at Kindle Boards, and Amazon. My Yo9unger brother would have loved a Kindle when he was a kid because the combination of a larger font (fewer words on the screen) and the TTS would have made reading so much easier for him. He was not able to read on his own until second or third grade because his dyslexia was so severe. He ended up an English Lit major in college. This was before books on tape and decent enough computers to handle these things. He loved being read to and would have loved audio books and TTS.

I don't use TTS but I can see why it is valuable to folks and would be valuable in a classroom. It is not something that helps people who cannot see the screen but people with a wide variety of reading issues. Which makes it a great fit for a classroom.

I would imagine that the free books available for a Kindle would work the same way as a library card. There are free books that can be downloaded and read very easily.
Old 02-18-2011, 10:20 AM   #22
wvcherrybomb
Sharp Shootin' Grandma
wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wvcherrybomb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Fire, Literati (has been adopted by my daughter)
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
BUT I'm very intent on teaching the students to download books for free from the library -- alas, this leaves Kindle out of the question.
Yes, that does eliminate the Kindle.

Let us all know what you decide on and how it works out. Others have been here for advice on classroom readers. Your experience will help guide others.
wvcherrybomb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 02:47 PM   #23
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Nook Color
I have been rethinking the situation, and greatly, GREATLY appreciate the input.

The students in question are "English language learners," meaning they are very new to speaking/reading/writing/listening to English, AND/OR gthey lack zeitsfleish (about half have bottoms that are chair-repellent).

Other teachers have raised concern about potential problems with wifi connectivity, in that we do NOT want students connecting to the internet to download, text, surf, etc. during instruction, because it is impossible to monitor. So we are now thinking, ereaders without wifi capability would be best, and I should be able to transfer readable docs to their ereaders on my own.

I prefer TTS capability, if only because many of these students will have absolutely NO idea whatsoever what many of the words should sound like. While it is true that the articulation is often rather poor, it is infinitely better for the students to hear the language in an awkward, tinny, computerized voice than not at all (which is likelier).

So, folks -- What are your recommendations?
amybobamy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 03:41 PM   #24
Billi
Wizard
Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Billi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook, iRex, PB, Onyx
Quote:
Originally Posted by amybobamy View Post
I prefer TTS capability, if only because many of these students will have absolutely NO idea whatsoever what many of the words should sound like. While it is true that the articulation is often rather poor, it is infinitely better for the students to hear the language in an awkward, tinny, computerized voice than not at all (which is likelier).

So, folks -- What are your recommendations?

The TTS capability of the Pocketbook devices is good, perhaps the best you can get. It sounds quite natural (and will give your students some fun as brackets and hyphens are read as words, too). Maybe you can contact Dulin's Book (post 12 in this thread) for further advice or a sample file.
Billi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:16 PM   #25
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
ill have two or 3 options in a pm to you later today or tomorrow.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2011, 05:33 PM   #26
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte
amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.amybobamy could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Thank you, Dulin's. I have no idea whatsoever how to find pms here. I'll check later to see if I can figure that one out! I need to put together my preliminary purchase order by Tuesday, so grateful for any and all help!
Old 02-18-2011, 06:15 PM   #27
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
well, send me an email to dulinsbooks at gmail dot com and Ill reply to you with some info that way.
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 01:03 AM   #28
hughes
Addict
hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hughes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, Galaxy Nexus, iPad 1
Quote:
Other teachers have raised concern about potential problems with wifi connectivity, in that we do NOT want students connecting to the internet to download, text, surf, etc. during instruction, because it is impossible to monitor. So we are now thinking, ereaders without wifi capability would be best, and I should be able to transfer readable docs to their ereaders on my own.
Would it be possible to control WiFi access at the network access point rather than at the device level?
hughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2011, 12:45 PM   #29
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by hughes View Post
Would it be possible to control WiFi access at the network access point rather than at the device level?
This is an excellent question!

Our school is in an urban environment, and to our regret the students find a way to access connectivity even when it is not OURS. Txting is a huge proiblem in schools today, for a variety of reasons. We simply do not want to aid and abet the issue by handing the kids devices that make that distraction easier and more readily available.
Old 02-19-2011, 12:46 PM   #30
amybobamy
Befuddled Neophyte

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulin's Books View Post
well, send me an email to dulinsbooks at gmail dot com and Ill reply to you with some info that way.
Found the PM function on MRF and have sent you a message. All assistance gratefully received!

Tags
cost, education, school, set