Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 10-01-2010, 04:36 PM   #1
Timmy_B
Timmy_B doesn't litterTimmy_B doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 3, iPhone 3GS, iPod touch 1st gen, iPad 2 (on order)
Unhappy Instapaper -- I think I've tried EVERYTHING

I’m a neophyte wifi K3 user and would like to get on-line articles into my K3.

I’ve tried to get Instapaper to push content to the K3 wirelessly (wifi) via my kindle email addy but can’t get it to work. I’ve waited for days to see if instapaper would send articles via the schedule feature and even forced a summary to be sent. All with no joy!

I’ve confirmed the settings on the Amazon Kindle configuration page several times and all seems correct.

I am able to log into instapaper in the K3 browser and can use the instapaper Kindle export feature to save articles and put them on the K3 via the USB cable.

I’ve also confirmed that the Kindle email addy works as I successfully sent a short TXT attachment to the K3 last night and it showed up right away.

I can’t think of anything else, can you?

Thanks,
Tim
Timmy_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
ski_power
Book eater
ski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it isski_power knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3 G 3G (<-lol)
They don't support the free.kindle.com address. I just made my balance to 0 and then tried it. It seems to work fine for me.

You did not mention if you have the Wifi or the 3G Kindle. Also, you did not mention if you got any confirmation email from amazon on each of the occasion you've tried to push.
ski_power is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:14 PM   #3
Timmy_B

Thanks for the quick reply, ski_power.

I thought I'd mentioned that I'm a wifi only K3 user. Wouldn't that mean that the free.kindle.com addy doesn't apply to me?

Amazon sends an email every time something gets RECEIVED on the kindle.com addy? Are you CERTAIN?

I haven't received ANY emails from Amazon related to my kindle.com addy. Not even the one that I KNOW was successful when I sent the attachment from my registered gmail account.

Thanks,
Tim
Old 10-01-2010, 05:30 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
Did you make sure to register the email address the emails were sent FROM on you Manage Your Kindle page? If not, emails to the Kindle are ignored as spam.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:53 PM   #5
Timmy_B

I registered my new kindle.com addy AND the Instapaper addy (kindle.kibpb@instapaper.com) as legitimate senders of content to be sent to the K3. Isn't that all I need?

Thanks,
Tim
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 06:52 PM   #6
volwrath
Guru
volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.volwrath ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: SGS3/PW2/Nexus72
Timmy,

I got it to work exactly once on my k3 wifi by going to the kindle page and putting @instapaper in for the email address instead of the ipaxd.blah@instapaper.com that they tell you to use.

If you want it delivered on a regular basis, use calibre
volwrath is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 06:08 AM   #7
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
For what it's worth, I have never got instapaper to work for me. I can save webpages to the instapaper account but have tried every which way to get them sent through to my K3 3G to no avail.

I now use kindlefeeder instead had no problems setting that up plus works with blog / web feeds too.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 05:39 PM   #8
Timmy_B

Thanks to everyone who tried to help out.

Reading up on Kindle topics before I received my K3 I did notice Calibre and had it on my list to install; this thread lit the fire.

I installed Calibre this morning and selected some 'recipes' to download newspapers and a magazine and send it on to my kindle.com email addy. It worked a TREAT!

Thanks again!
Tim
Old 01-21-2011, 10:26 PM   #9
m52go
m52go began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Sorry for digging up an old thread, but I figure it's worth it if I'm providing a solution. At least, if not for the OP who's already found a solution, then for others who may encounter this thread on Google just like I did.

I couldn't get Instapaper to work on my Wifi-only Kindle for a good 2-3 months after checking my settings over and over. Nothing I did seemed to work.

Then, I realized that I hadn't added any new articles to my Instapaper queue. I kept hitting the 'Send Now' button but there was nothing new to send. So the solution is as follows: after verifying all of the Kindle Account/Instapaper settings are correct, add at least 2 new articles (or whatever is one more than the number in the "Only if it will contain at least..." setting). Then press 'Send Now.' That should do the trick.

Some of you may have found this obvious. You may have tried it and still have issues. But if you haven't and you've verified everything else, I highly suggest giving it a shot.

It seems like Instapaper compares every submission to the last one, whether the last one was successful or not. So if you unsuccessfully sent over a group of articles, you'll need to add more articles to the new group for it to successfully send over next time.

Last edited by m52go; 01-21-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: typo, add last paragraph
m52go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2011, 10:35 AM   #10
jj2me
Guru
jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jj2me ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, -350; Kindle 3 3G, DX, PW 2; various tablets
Another alternative that gives you automatic scheduled Instapaper deliveries to your free.kindle.com address is to have Calibre News scheduled to do so (I have it sent once per week). In Calibre's "Schedule news download" popup, you find Instapaper under language "Unknown". The problem with this method, though, is that you have to log onto Instapaper afterwards and manually click to move those articles to Archive.
jj2me is offline   Reply With Quote