Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 01-14-2011, 03:15 PM   #1
fathermocker
fathermocker began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
PDF support with apdfviewer

I've been thinking about getting an e-reader, and so far the nook wifi is the one that I like the most. But the one thing that concerns me is its PDF support. I've noticed in YouTube videos that it doesn't have the ability to zoom, which would render it pretty much useless (reflow doesn't sound good enough), but it was a relief to find out that rooting it and installing the apdfviewer app enables an alternative viewer that does handle zooming. I found some info in this forum about how the apdfviewer just kind of "jumps", as in there's no smooth scrolling when zooming, which kind of sucks, but I guess I could live with it as long as its PDF support is alright. I haven't been able to find any kind of video showing the apdfviewer working on the nook, so I thought I'd ask here for help. Could anyone please upload a video showing a rooted nook using the apdfviewer app to render PDF files, and how the zoom works? It would really help me make a final decision.
Thanks

Last edited by fathermocker; 01-14-2011 at 03:38 PM.
fathermocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by fathermocker View Post
I've noticed in YouTube videos that it doesn't have the ability to zoom, which would render it pretty much useless (reflow doesn't sound good enough)
I cannot help you with the rooted question (I haven't done it to my Nook), but I've viewed many PDFs with my Nook and most have worked out pretty well, including camera and MP3 player manuals, books, etc.

The one area I have had trouble is where something has been produced using something like a table in a word document. Then, because the table cannot be broken up, the Nook displays the entire thing on the screen and it is too small to read. But for regular flowing text, it works fine.

(I am talking about the regular Nook here, not color)
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-14-2011, 03:45 PM   #3
dgiznya
Ty
dgiznya began at the beginning.

Device: Nook Color
The nookcolor has a stock pdf viewer but many have posted that it is not as great as some other pdf viewers out there.

You can root the nook and get one of the many readers available.

I use the stock viewer all the time with textbooks and it works well enough.
You can pan and zoom and the text looks great.

DG
dgiznya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:06 PM   #4
Cgray
Cgray began at the beginning.

Device: none
Here's a question-- what does the stock pdf viewer do with bookmarks? Most of my pdf books both game and text books are *heavily* bookmarked, and that's a pretty important capability for me.
Cgray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2011, 06:11 PM   #5
fathermocker

Thanks for the recommendation dgiznya, but I think I'm staying with the Nook Wifi. So, does anybody else have a rooted one?
Advert
Old 01-15-2011, 06:19 AM   #6
Shades
Zealot
Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Shades ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: OnePlus 5T + @Voice, Nook 1st Ed.
I have a rooted nook and I tried out apdfviewer. It gets the job done, and works quite well for pdf files that require a certain layout. For other pdf files, like plain old books, the stock vewier does them better. I suggest though using Calibre to make the pdf's into epubs. Easy and they can end up looking much better on the nook.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cgray View Post
Here's a question-- what does the stock pdf viewer do with bookmarks? Most of my pdf books both game and text books are *heavily* bookmarked, and that's a pretty important capability for me.
The stock viewer handles pdf bookmarks the same way it handles epub and other bookmarks. When you want to go to a bookmark, just tap the touch screen and tap "Bookmarks." From there you can tap "go to bookmark, Remove bookmark (if your current page is bookmarked), and Remove all bookmarks."

Bookmarks are arranged by page number.

Last edited by Shades; 01-15-2011 at 06:21 AM.
Shades is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 12:46 PM   #7
Elric
Elric began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
the official Adobe Reader app is my favorite PDf viewer for the rooted nook.
Elric is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 03:04 PM   #8
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
PDF Reading is very important to me so I've tried most of the PDF readers out there. My list is from best to worst with a 1-10 scale

1) RepliGo (9)
2) ezPDF (7) (missing some features on the nook) works great on my Galaxy S
3) Thinkfree (5)
4) Adobe Reader (4)
5) Nook Stock (3)
6) QuickOffice (2)

Repligo is $5 but right now is 50% off ($2.5)
ezPDF is $1
Thinkfree you have to buy the office which is $15
Adobe Reader is free
Quickoffice comes with the Nook but it is $15 to get the full suit.

For $5 RepliGo is a steal and gives you so much. It's much faster than the rest of the PDF readers and has the most features. Also my experience with this company has always been great.
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2011, 04:14 PM   #9
fathermocker

Thanks for the replies but I don't think I can use those readers in the normal Nook, not the Color version.

Tags
apdfviewer, nook, pdf