Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 12-25-2010, 05:30 AM   #16
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLaFunk View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by itimpi View Post
If you are using Drag & Drop then you are getting the file 'as-is'. If you use the Connect to iTunes option to transfer books into iTunes, then Calibre will ensure that any metadata changes are applied before passing the book to iTunes.
I did originally transfer the files with my iPad connected through calibre but it was taking too long, 50 books took about 30 mins, drag & drop was much faster through iTunes , I thought that the file in my calibre library after my conversion would be free of the tags that I deleted in the meta editor...
He wasn't suggesting you transfer files to your ipad through calibre while it is connected. He suggested you use the Connect to iTunes. This way you transfer your library to iTunes then when you want you transfer your books to your iPad. I suggest you disable the iPad plugin then follow this thread.

Good Luck.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #17
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
If you have run a conversion then the books should match your calibre metadata. The problem comes if you update the metadata after running the conversion as then those changes do not get applied to the library copy.

I wonder why the transfer of books is taking so long for you? I can do 50 books in about 30-60 seconds and as it runs as a background task it allows me to do something else at the same time.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:46 AM   #18
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I wonder why the transfer of books is taking so long for you? I can do 50 books in about 30-60 seconds and as it runs as a background task it allows me to do something else at the same time.
I thought you used the Connect to iTunes feature.

So you don't use the Connect to iTunes? You connect to the iPad directly from calibre through iTunes? How well does that work for you?

I don't think the poster with the delay problem is using Connect to iTunes.
Old 12-25-2010, 09:23 AM   #19
itimpi
Wizard
itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.itimpi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-950, iphone/ipad (Marvin/iBooks/QuickReader)
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
I
So you don't use the Connect to iTunes? You connect to the iPad directly from calibre through iTunes? How well does that work for you?
I DO use Connect to iTunes item. I find this much more convenient as I can add items at any time without having to have the iPad connected. I also have the Apple Device driver disabled so that I can plug in a Sony for book transfer without any issues.

Quote:
I don't think the poster with the delay problem is using Connect to iTunes.
possibly - I was not sure.
itimpi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 09:45 AM   #20
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Back on topic --- Merry Christmas and many thanks to Kovid and all of the developers.
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 10:21 AM   #21
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
The Edit Book Screen is re-sizeable with the "drag thingy" at the lower right corner of the dialog. I actually like it large. I like the new layout too with the description editor on the right with the wsysiwyg toolbar!
Oh, I know, but I don't need a whole column for my cover, it's a waste of space. Add that whole column for the formats and description and the huge amount of space beween the input boxes on the main meta data column... It's simply too large. It is that there is something else in the .35 which I do want, otherwise I'd be going back to .34, simply because of that.

But I agree with dwanthny, A Merry Christmas and many thanks to the Calibre Development Team!
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 04:59 PM   #22
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
Quote:
I DO use Connect to iTunes item. I find this much more convenient as I can add items at any time without having to have the iPad connected. I also have the Apple Device driver disabled so that I can plug in a Sony for book transfer without any issues...
An alternative is to create a temp storage folder somewhere convenient (e.g. "New Books" on the Desktop) and use Calibre's "Save to Disk" function to copy out the books; they'll have the updates this way just like when Calibre sends files directly to a device. You can then copy the files from the temp storage folder to your device manually any time you wish.

I use this with my Kindle. I don't use Calibre to manage my library. My books are stored in two folders. One is all my books and is on an external HD; the other is the books "waiting to be read (again)" and is my Kindle's "Documents" folder. I use the Save to Disk function to save off the converted or "fixed" files and then clear out Calibre's library. I then copy the new files in the temp storage folder into my complete archive and into my Kindle.
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 11:36 PM   #23
Lazaras
Enthusiast
Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Lazaras ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch Glowlight
Thank you Calibre guys. I don't have much in paypal, but I donated what I could. By the looks of things very nessicary software with lots of features. Just what I want.
Lazaras is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2010, 02:03 PM   #24
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Device: iPad
@dwanthny - Deleted & cleared my iBooks library on my iPad then went through this from your link ( https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85856 ) 1117 books transferred to iTunes in 78m 57s then it took 34m to transfer to my iPad...

After deleting tags & after conversion from mobi>ePub, tags do not show in the Tag Column or Tag Browser, the way I want it but if I open the converted book(ePub) in Calibre viewer it is shown on the second page below the Title & Author and above the book summary...

I have this ticked Preferences>Conversion>Common Options>Structure Detection>Insert Metadata as page at start of book - As I want the book summary in the metadata...

Have tried reconverting the books that are still showing tags but can't get rid of them...
JayLaFunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 01:12 AM   #25
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired

Quote:
I have this ticked Preferences>Conversion>Common Options>Structure Detection>Insert Metadata as page at start of book - As I want the book summary in the metadata...

Have tried reconverting the books that are still showing tags but can't get rid of them...
You can find the style.css file that controls what is inserted in the Book Jacket here.

C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\jacket\style.css

Code:
Find this area in the file.

table.cbj_header tr.cbj_tags {
    /* Uncomment the next line to remove 'Tags' from banner section */
    /* display:none; */
    }

and change it to 

display:none;
    }
After this change tags will not be part of the book jacket in any future conversion.
Old 12-27-2010, 05:55 AM   #26
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Quote:
Originally Posted by garcle View Post
The Edit Book Screen is re-sizeable with the "drag thingy" at the lower right corner of the dialog. I actually like it large. I like the new layout too with the description editor on the right with the wsysiwyg toolbar!
Ok, that screen is really way too large... If you only have a small monitor, think netbook size, you have a huge problem. The minimum size (that is, the size where you won't get any scrollbars) is 1024x768...

The longer I look at it, the more I hate it...
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 08:32 AM   #27
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur
JayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enoughJayLaFunk will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwanthny View Post
You can find the style.css file that controls what is inserted in the Book Jacket here.

C:\Program Files\Calibre2\resources\jacket\style.css

Code:
Find this area in the file.

/* display:none; */
    }

and change it to 

display:none;
    }
After this change tags will not be part of the book jacket in any future conversion.
Cheers, that has done the trick and got rid of the tags but I can't understand when I am in the Edit Metadata Information box, I delete the tags then convert book, tags do not show in the Tag column after convertion but show in the book viewer and on my iPad
Old 12-27-2010, 12:34 PM   #28
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Quote:
Cheers, that has done the trick and got rid of the tags but I can't understand when I am in the Edit Metadata Information box, I delete the tags then convert book, tags do not show in the Tag column after convertion but show in the book viewer and on my iPad
That would be because the conversion code uses the sum of the tags from the input document and the calibre database, rather than just the calibre database. That's because the code is written to support both the command line and the GUI, and on the command line, you typically want the tags read from the input document.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 02:42 PM   #29
JayLaFunk
Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
That would be because the conversion code uses the sum of the tags from the input document and the calibre database, rather than just the calibre database. That's because the code is written to support both the command line and the GUI, and on the command line, you typically want the tags read from the input document.
Has this always been the case, I seem to remember when first using Calibre, I deleted the tags in the edit metadata before conversion, then that was it, they were deleted, never to be seen again...
Old 12-27-2010, 09:47 PM   #30
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
hard to say, calibre changes a lot
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote