Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Introduce Yourself

Notices

Old 11-10-2010, 05:02 PM   #1
technomom
Enthusiast
technomom began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Pro, iPhone 12 mini
Smile Hello from Atlanta

Hi there. I'm not completely new - I've posted twice and I've been lurking for a bit. I live in Decatur, which is an intown suburb of Atlanta, Georgia (US).

My partner, Sam, and I have moved to reading e-books almost exclusively in the past year or so since we got iPod Touches. I was already reading on a Palm m130 I had "inherited" from him for a time, but a few months after he got his Touch I gave in and let him buy one for me, too. We're working on getting our daughter to switch over from dead tree media now.

Being able to carry 50 books in a pocket is part of the attraction, but for me there's also the fact that carpal tunnel in both wrists plus arthritis and fibromyalgia add up to lots of pain, and holding books is painful for me any more. The Touch is just easier - and the fact that it provides its own light is a big plus, as well. Not being tempted to lug around a tote bag full of books "just in case" I finish whatever I'm reading every time I go to an appointment makes my whole body happier, too.

I'm an avid reader - always have been. My preference is for science fiction and fantasy, first, but I also enjoy some mysteries. I don't like anything with too much of a creep factor. I read some non-fiction, as well - Robyn Silverman's Good Girls Don't Get Fat is my most recent finish. Now I'm reading God Is Not One by Stephen Prothero and Sex at Dawn by Christopher Ryan and Cacilda Jetha. On the fiction side, I just finished the Clash of the Geeks anthology and began Side Jobs by Jim Butcher and Casey Mayes' A Deadly Row.

Another benefit of e-books: I can easily switch to whatever I happen to feel like reading at any given moment.

I try to keep track of what I'm reading at GoodReads. I used the WordPress plug-in Now Reading for a long time, and I really did like having things on my own site, but the Rob Miller (plugin author) has been very busy, so the plugin isn't compatible with the current version of WordPress (no dishonor to him, of course - I'm thankful that he kept it up as long as he did! Now Reading was a massive undertaking!)

However, in searching for a link for the post, I learned about Now Reading Reloaded, which I intend to test tomorrow! (Tonight is one of my and Sam's regular date nights, or I'd be installing it right now.)

I do have other hobbies, including being a general computer geek (not so much on the hardware end these days, largely due to loss of hand strength), collecting quotations, stitching and designing counted-thread needlework, and making music. I'm a terrible blogger these days, having fallen out of the habit of posting. It isn't really a hobby, but we homeschooled my daughter from mid-elementary school through high school for several reasons, but she is now in college. (She does still live at home, for now.)

I'm a big fan of Calibre and Sigil - Calibre because we have already collected quite a few e-books in various formats, and Sigil because, well, I'm ridiculously picky. Whether I buy a book or get if from a free (LEGAL!) site, I usually find myself going a bit nutty over little errors, and now I usually open it in an editor if at all possible before I start trying to read it. (Yes, I do have an official diagnosis of obsessive-compulsive disorder, and it does have a hyphen, why do you ask?) I strongly prefer books without DRM for that reason.

We considered upgrading to an iPad so I could pass my Touch on to my daughter, but I found it too heavy to consider for everyday reading. It would be a lovely screen size for displaying scanned needlework patterns, though I think that would have to wait until the prices come down quite a bit.

We still have a license for and were heavy users of Readerware at one time, but lost the data in a move-related problem, so I need to rebuild that database. While we're replacing as many dead-tree books as possible with e-books, there are some things that just don't lend themselves to bytes. For instance, you just can't have a sing-a-long without songbooks to pass around, so I'll keep collecting as many copies of Rise Up Singing as possible and most of my other music remains printed. And until I get an iPad or something that is suitable for good graphic display, my needlework patterns will remain physical. And that means that cataloging them is necessary. Are there any other Readerware users around here?

In my pre-disability working days, I was most recently a software quality assurance analyst and technical writer. Before that, I did many other things over the years, from running a self-insured health insurance fund for the foreign missions board of a fundamentalist Christian denomination to being a call center supervisor for an ISP in the mid-80s, doing medical transcription for ER departments and setting appointments for a dating service.

I've done a lot of volunteer work since leaving the for-pay working world, especially in the internet safety field, mainly with Working to Halt Online Abuse (http://haltabuse.org/ ). I'm not working with the group now, but I was their webmaster, then their executive VP for many years.

That's probably more than y'all wanted to know, but it's an introduction. This seems like a lovely place you have here.

Cyn
technomom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
GA Russell
Montreal wins Grey Cup!
GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GA Russell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, Kindles 10 & 4 and jetBook Lite
Welcome techno!

I lived in Norcross for ten years and Winder for seven.
GA Russell is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 06:13 PM   #3
joycedb
Guru
joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.joycedb ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Hello and welcome, technomom. My, you have an impressive list of hobbies and activities. Enjoy the forum.

Joyce
joycedb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 06:16 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Welcome to MobileRead, technomom.....

Goodness.....enjoy the forums!
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 08:24 PM   #5
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Hi Cyn and welcome to MobileRead
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-10-2010, 09:38 PM   #6
ImogenRose
PORTAL
ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ImogenRose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, Kindle 3 (3G), iPhone
Hello and welcome to MR!

Imogen
ImogenRose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 02:57 AM   #7
technomom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GA Russell View Post
Welcome techno!

I lived in Norcross for ten years and Winder for seven.
Nice to meet you! :-)

I grew up on the Gwinnett county side of Tucker and graduated from Berkmar High School. My parents and sister are still in Gwinnett, but we prefer living in an area where we don't have to have a car for everyone in the family. Unfortunately, Gwinnett is still behind the times regarding mass transit.

I still prefer Gwinnett's library to Dekalb's, though. They have a MUCH better fiction section, and put a lot more funding into the library. They're even starting (just barely) to get a few e-books. Nothing compatible with my hardware yet, but I'm hoping!

Thanks,
Cyn
Old 11-11-2010, 04:59 AM   #8
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW

Welcome to mobileread ....

Wow . 2005 ! a newbieoldie ....
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 07:10 AM   #9
technomom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoffC View Post

Welcome to mobileread ....

Wow . 2005 ! a newbieoldie ....
LOL - thanks to early Usenet experiences, I take "lurk for a while and learn your way around" pretty seriously sometimes ;-)

Cyn
Old 11-11-2010, 07:49 AM   #10
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
Good to have your company, Cyn. Coincidentally just swapped emails with a neighbour of yours, an ex-pat Australian who's lived in Atlanta for the past thirty years or so. Well, maybe not a 'neighbour', I guess Atlanta's a pretty big city. Great to read your enthusiastic post. Best wishes. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 03:45 PM   #11
technomom
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Good to have your company, Cyn. Coincidentally just swapped emails with a neighbour of yours, an ex-pat Australian who's lived in Atlanta for the past thirty years or so. Well, maybe not a 'neighbour', I guess Atlanta's a pretty big city. Great to read your enthusiastic post. Best wishes. Neil
Atlanta is rather large, yes. We have the biggest airport in the southeast, so we tend to be something of a hub.

I don't believe I've ever met anyone from Monaco before!

Thanks for the welcome :-)

Cyn
Old 11-12-2010, 04:25 AM   #12
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
I'm actually a Scot, Cyn, but have been here for twenty-five years now. My wife, Skovia, is Monegasque, though. Several friends in Atlanta. Oddy enough, mostly ex-pats I first met whilst working on newspapers in New York and who decided to stay in the US, take US citizenship ... and then go marching to Georgia. Must be some place to hold such appeal for relative newcomers. Sadly, one state I never had the chance to visit myself. Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 08:33 AM   #13
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
I was in Atlanta once when I made a tour through the US.
Welcome to MR from the Netherlands.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:48 PM   #14
CaraM
Guru
CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CaraM ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Hi, Cyn, and welcome. I like your kitty avatar. I'm an avid reader too, and writer, who has discovered I love reading on my Kindle.
CaraM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 11:43 AM   #15
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Hello and welcome to MR!!!
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
calibre, needlework, readerware, sigil, wordpress