Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

View Poll Results: WHAT DEVICE HAVE YOU BOUGHT *THIS* YEAR?
Kindle 230 35.49%
Sony 210 32.41%
Nook 77 11.88%
Kobo 70 10.80%
Backlit LED (incl iPad) 108 16.67%
Other 104 16.05%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 648. You may not vote on this poll

Old 11-06-2010, 02:22 PM   #61
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjones6416 View Post
Maybe, but my Kindle is my primary device now and I still prefer MR over Kindleboards.

(Although I do go to Kindleboards if I'm trying to buy something Kindle related -- I've bought several covers there.)
As do I (which is why I'm here and I've never joined KB) but that doesn't alter the fact MR is just one place Kindle owners hang out.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 02:46 PM   #62
murraypaul
Interested Bystander
murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.murraypaul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Note 4, Kobo One
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
Have I done something to offend you MurrayPaul? This poll, I think, is valid. And 250 MR members so far agree with me. If you think otherwise, just ignore it. Let's not get into pointless nit-picking, please. If I (and the other 250 members so far) are in error, I think you and Kali have now made your point. Now why not leave those who are interested to get along with it. No hard feelings and best wishes. Neil
Nothing personal, and apologies if it came across that way. It is totally valid as a survey of forum readers, my point was that it can't be extrapolated beyond that.
murraypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #63
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
I am actually impressed that there are so many Kindle owners on the board. This board does attract people with a higher then average level of knowledge regarding e-readers. I was expecting many more in the other section and in the Sony category.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 AM   #64
neilmarr
neilmarr
neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.neilmarr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony
No offence taken, MurrayPaul, and none intended on my part. Thanks for your valuable observations. I think, though, that MR is as near as it gets to a significant non-brand-specific forum. I do often visit the Kindle boards, too, because my wee house has over a hundred or titles running with Amazon in paperback and ebook. A fine community there.

But it's interesting to see from nearly 300 MR members who've responded to this poll so far the spread of devices used by those with some ebook-savvy when Kindle has pretty well become a catch-all word in the general psych for an ebook-dedicated device (like hoover for vacuum cleaners or scotch for sticky tape). I've never ever been asked by anyone who spots me reading which device I'm using, but I've lost count of the number of times someone's commented on the lines, "How do you like your Kindle?" I use a Sony, by the way.

With Kindle lodged in the public psych, I think it'll be interesting to see how the numbers in this poll might reflect the Kindle-awareness of first-time ebook-reader buyers over the Christmas period.

Cheers. Neil
neilmarr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:08 AM   #65
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I haven't purchased an ebook reader this year.
I bought PocketBook 360 in October last year and I expect to get some use from it before I plonk down that much money again.

I have been following an e-book reading forum here in my country and I can tell you that Kindle 3 outsells all other e-ink readers combined. The reason is simple. Amazon is the only manufacturer that doesn't calculate the price for European market using $1 = 1Eur conversion ratio. They sell their device for $139 plus postage regardless of where on the planet you live.
Why would a customer from, say, Czech Republic pay close to 250Eur for an e-ink reader when [s]he can get WiFi only Kindle 3 for under 150Eur?
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-07-2010, 08:48 AM   #66
bjones6416
↓↓ Skirt!! Earrings!!
bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bjones6416 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer netbook, JetBook Lite, Sony PRS-300, Kindle 2, Kindle Fire
Quote:
Originally Posted by neilmarr View Post
... but I've lost count of the number of times someone's commented on the lines, "How do you like your Kindle?" I use a Sony, by the way.

Cheers. Neil
This has been my experience, too. Whether I have the Jetbook, the Sony, or the Kindle in my hands, normally if anybody makes any comment at all it will be something along the lines of, "Oh, you have a Kindle!"
bjones6416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:33 PM   #67
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
None yet,and none planed i've been resonable.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:38 PM   #68
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
a) The Kindle has actually only sold that proportion, or
b) This poll does not reflect reality
it's just the reflects that mobileread is international, and kindle have a very little part of the market share outside US. And that us non-US residant account for someting

in the metro, i've seen one kindle, and quite a few sonys.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:36 PM   #69
Grimm
DRM killer
Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Grimm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ASUS Transformer Prime (Sold: Nook, Kindle 3, Nook Color, Nook STR)
I bought a Nook back in, I think it was July. The screen broke a month or so ago. I bought a Kindle 3 and like it quite a lot more (lighter weight, faster page turns with less "black flash," etc, etc).
Grimm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 03:48 PM   #70
Phogg
PHD in Horribleness
Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Phogg ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Just a whole bunch. I guess I am a collector now.
I got an Aztak Pocket Pro and a Dell Streak this year.

Both are good devices, but the Dell Streak has the best ergonomics.
Phogg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 05:10 PM   #71
Dixiemsala
Enthusiast
Dixiemsala began at the beginning.

Device: Sony 350, Kindle 2
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maggie Leung View Post
I bought multiple devices this year, but can vote only once.
I made two checks in the one vote (kindle and sony).
Dixiemsala is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 07:58 AM   #72
Quake1028
Guru
Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Quake1028 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: See signature
This year I bought:

K2 International (second hand)
K3 WiFi (new)
nook WiFi (second hand)
Quake1028 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:49 AM   #73
yakuzaboss
Groupie
yakuzaboss is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
My girlfriend and I both bought Kobos around Aug/Sept. We both returned them shortly after for numerous reasons. I bought her a Nook Wifi and she bought me a Sony 650.
yakuzaboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 10:54 AM   #74
jbcohen
Wizard
jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbcohen ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung A21
Why did you select you ereader?

Chose mine becuase of the price, I simply wanted to spend no more than $100 and Aluratek is willing to sell at that price. I think that the Sony PRS and the Kindle are better products then the Aluratek but I simply don't want to pay that price. You get what you pay for.
jbcohen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2010, 12:07 AM   #75
jjm6383
Enthusiast
jjm6383 is on a distinguished road

Device: Pandigital Nova, Aluratek Libre Pro, Dell Axim x51v
I bought both an Aluratek Libre Pro (April) and an Ectaco Jetbook Lite (October).
jjm6383 is offline   Reply With Quote