Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Self-Promotions by Authors and Publishers

Notices

Old 10-30-2010, 11:40 AM   #1
stevensavile
Enthusiast
stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.stevensavile knows what's going on.

Device: sony
A Guilty Mind - new novella 99c

Hey folks,

Blatant self promotion time - I just wanted to drop in an mention the sudden appearance on the kindle of one of my favourite novellas, Guilty Mind.

What's it about?

Jack Nolan is in trouble. He serves justice, and like it or not, people are dying in vigilante style executions inside The Scrubs so Jack has got to go inside.

Being banged up in the most notorious prison in England is bad, but being an undercover cop up in the toughest jail the justice system can offer is like having the cell door slam, locking you in a whole other circle of Hell.

This was originally published in an anthology a couple of years back under the title Mens Rea, the legal term meaning With A Guilty Mind. The reviews were uniformly excellent, including this one from an Australian magazine, by Matthew Tait: "It seems just when you think the best story has shown itself, along comes Mens Rea by Steven Savile. What started out as seamy cop London story – perhaps a very gruesome take on TV’s The Bill – suddenly goes ape into dark regions involving experimental brain surgery, hoodlum thugs with telekinetic gifts – and an ending that just begs for some kind of universe to be explored. Steven takes to the theme beautifully, imbuing Mens Rea with a vigorous, complex and ultimately uplifting tale." And Bibliogramma "“Mens Rea” by Steven Savile – I have a particular, personal horror of being accused, hunted, punished, unjustly, of being innocent and yet trapped in the fate of the guilty. This store pushed those buttons, hard. And it doesn’t come out all right in the end, which is why this is a personal horror, because you know, the cavalry doesn’t usually come riding over the hill at the very last moment."

And a last one from Tangent: "In “Mens Rea,” Steven Savile takes superhero tropes to gloriously seamy new depths when Jack Nolan, a cop infiltrating a prison, gains new powers, thanks to the sick ministrations of a prison gang leader. Gritty and pulpy, the explicit details of this story make you feel every blow to the guts received by our protagonist. The story spends so long describing the hell of prison in lurid, luscious detail that you fully expect this to be a fall-of-man story. But wait for the ending. It’s cinematic and, like much of Aegri Somnia, very satisfying."

It also received a wonderful write up from Ellen Datlow in the Year's Best Fantasy and Horror.

It's a novella, not a full length novel, hence the .99c pricing at amazon.com here:

http://www.amazon.com/A-Guilty-Mind-...452331&sr=8-20

and 72p in amazon.co.uk here:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/A-Guilty-Min...f=pd_rhf_p_t_1

or smashwords here:

http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/28349
stevensavile is offline   Reply With Quote