Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 02:19 PM   #76
langabe
langabe began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-500
Rasterfarian in Linux?

Hi,

Any help for those of us who would like to use your software in Linux? Is the source code available to attempt compilation?

Thanks,
Alex
Old 07-18-2007, 02:43 PM   #77
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
Quote:
Originally Posted by langabe View Post
Hi,

Any help for those of us who would like to use your software in Linux? Is the source code available to attempt compilation?

Thanks,
Alex
rasterfarian is more like a set of scripts with runs a pdf-reader, image processor and LRF-creator and is designed for windows. For linux, you could write your own script for it.
Advert
Old 07-19-2007, 09:38 AM   #78
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by athlonkmf View Post
rasterfarian is more like a set of scripts with runs a pdf-reader, image processor and LRF-creator and is designed for windows. For linux, you could write your own script for it.
Or you can use PDFRead, which already works on Linux and OS X.
Old 07-20-2007, 05:45 PM   #79
DerekTheGeek
DerekTheGeek began at the beginning.

Device: None
Manuals?

Are there any manuals or FAQ for how to adjust settings in RasterFarian or PDFRead? There are many options but I am not sure which to adjust to get my PDF files displaying properly. Currently, in RasterFarian I get decent results by just accepting all the defaults (thought I do choose to use half page landscape mode). I would however like to decrease the overlap between the bottom of the top half of the page and the top of the bottom half of the page. I am not sure how to accomplish this.

Incidentally, do the respective authors of RasterFarian and PDFRead have PayPal accounts setup so those users who would like to thank them monetarily for their work can do so? Thanks.

- dtg
Old 07-21-2007, 03:21 AM   #80
ashkulz
Addict
ashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enoughashkulz will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 1/REB 1200
Quote:
Originally Posted by DerekTheGeek View Post
Are there any manuals or FAQ for how to adjust settings in RasterFarian or PDFRead? There are many options but I am not sure which to adjust to get my PDF files displaying properly. Currently, in RasterFarian I get decent results by just accepting all the defaults (thought I do choose to use half page landscape mode). I would however like to decrease the overlap between the bottom of the top half of the page and the top of the bottom half of the page. I am not sure how to accomplish this.

Incidentally, do the respective authors of RasterFarian and PDFRead have PayPal accounts setup so those users who would like to thank them monetarily for their work can do so? Thanks.

- dtg
Unfortunately, I haven't had time to document the various PDFRead options. Also, I suspect that alex_d considers the various UI prompts in RasterFarian good enough. The thing is, most of the time the defaults give you very good results so there is not much tweaking of options needed, and hence a corresponding lack of documentation about those. For your specific question for PDFRead, you can reduce the overlap by setting the command line option --overlap 10 (or whatever you want). I'll try and see if I can update the website this weekend.

If you do want to say thanks, you can use the "Support this project" button on the PDFRead homepage.
Advert
Old 07-21-2007, 01:47 PM   #81
ddavtian
Addict
ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.ddavtian has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Sage, Elipsa, Oasis, Galaxy Tab 8U, S22U
Quote:
Originally Posted by ashkulz View Post
For your specific question for PDFRead, you can reduce the overlap by setting the command line option --overlap 10 (or whatever you want).
I think this option is available when selecting option 3 (create quarters) for "Arrange as", but not in option 2 (half pages in landscape). I added "--overlap 5" (and 1, 10, 20, 30) in command line when calling the application, no differences in the output. Only thing "--overlap 5" did was to create the output 5.lrf without asking for the output file in window. So it worked like an "outputfile" option.

Please let me know if I'm using it correctly.
I'd love to be able to minimize the overlap between top and bottom parts when splitting the page into halfs.

Thanks for great application.
David
Old 07-25-2007, 03:56 AM   #82
alexbe
alexbe began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Reader
Hi alex_d,

is there any possibility to run automatic conversion of all files in given folder without manually adding them and without going through settings screens for every file?
Old 07-26-2007, 06:09 PM   #83
hokie
hokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader (PRS-500)
Unhappy Install error--request help

Hi,

Got an alert box trying to install: xcopy.exe - Entry Point Not Found

"The procedure entry point ?QueryStream@FSN_FILE@@QAEPAVFILE_STREAM@@W4STREAM ACCESS@@K@Z could not be located in the dynamic link library ulib.dll

Then it doesn't see my .NET 2.0 framework and sends me there to download it.

Any ideas on this one?

-Win2k system
-Athlon 1GHz
-Plenty of HD
-768MB RAM

Last edited by hokie; 07-26-2007 at 06:12 PM.
Old 07-26-2007, 06:22 PM   #84
hokie
hokie began at the beginning.

Device: Sony eReader (PRS-500)
Solution found (sorry for the consecutive posts) I think

- Renamed Rasterfarian's xcopy.exe to xcopy.bak

- Copied xcopy.exe from C:\WINNT\System32 to \\RasterFarian 2.5.1\RasterFarian FILES\software

- Installed again, no errors

It seems for those of us bent on staying with older systems, the xcopy bundled is from WinXP and therefore Win2000 hiccups on the "newer" xcopy.

Hope this helps anyone who's having similar problems.
Old 07-27-2007, 11:23 AM   #85
alex_d
Addict
alex_d doesn't litteralex_d doesn't litter

Device: Sony Reader
sigh... i try to help some ppl, and then mess up others. anyway, i wouldn't recommend win2k. just turn off themes in winxp and disable some services and it's the same without 2k's rough edges. in any case, you should find ram from another old pc. ram is what makes old pcs useable. right now i'm on a tablet pc with a piii 933 and 512mb. its running an nlite'd (modified) copy of win2k3. works very well, especially with the swap file turned off.

p.s., i'm still working on the gui version. this will also have good batch support and adjustable overlap. don't hold your breath, though.

Last edited by alex_d; 07-27-2007 at 11:26 AM.
Old 07-28-2007, 05:18 PM   #86
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
UnRAR and Install Problem

I'm new (to RAR and RasterFarian and even MobileRead!) but have lurked this week and have grown excited about possibly making my many PDFs readable on my new Sony. I've downloaded the four parts of 2.5.1 beta of RasterFarian, renamed them 1.RAR, 2.RAR, etc. and put them in a folder C:\unrar. I then downloaded UNRARW32.EXE to the same folder and ran it to get UNRAR. I used a command window from WinXP to run UNRAR and typed UNRAR E 1.RAR which proceeded to unpack all four parts into the same folder. But when I then run INSTALL.CMD to install RasterFarian, I get "ERROR. The files necessary to install RasterFarian were not found!" Sorry for my ignorance if I've done something stupid. I'm just anxious to try your intriguing tool. Can you point out my error, please?
Old 07-28-2007, 05:36 PM   #87
athlonkmf
Guru
athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.athlonkmf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, Sony PRS-505, Kindle 3, Sony PRS350, iPad 64GB
why don't youi just download and install winrar from www.rarlabs.com and double click it? You can then extract it with the correct folder structure (which I think was what you missed out when you simply used the unrar command)
Old 07-28-2007, 06:54 PM   #88
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
UnRAR and Install Problem: Solved

Thanks for the fix.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:30 PM   #89
nc2
nc2 began at the beginning.

Device: SONY EREADER
Hi,

Just got me Sony Ereader and tried RasterFarian 2.5 beta. But I got this error message:

...Creating EPS file from PDF page
...Performing autocropping
...Rastering PNG file from EPS file (this step may take several minutes)
NOTE: Some especially complex pages may take a VERY long time (e.g. an hour)
If this seems to be occuring, you may go into the Task Manager
and kill the gswin32c.exe process. This will result in a blank page.
...Running PNG file through image post-processing
'"C:\Program Files\RasterFarian\\software\NetPBM\pnmscale.exe"' is not recognize
d as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

Does anyone have a solution?

Thanks a lot.
Old 07-31-2007, 04:49 PM   #90
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That depends on the PDF. If the PDF is all text and there are no graphics you want to keep, you can use pdf2html which is part of libprs500. And if there are not too many graphics, you can screen grab and cut them out and put them back into the HTML, format the HTML, and then use html2lrf to make the final LRF.
Closed Thread