Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 10-22-2010, 11:33 AM   #1
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Question Do wireless printers effect battery consumption on Netbook using WiFi

My PC is in the shop so I am using a netbook connected via wifi to our home network router.

The netbook has a six cell battery, and until a few days ago was getting up to 10 hours of operation on a full charge, now it gets less than 5 hours.

The only difference in our home network is that a few days ago we installed a wireless printer. The previous network printer was attached to my PC, which was usually shut down when the netbook was in wifi mode, thus making it unavailable for use.

My question then: Would having a wireless printer available while a netbook is in wifi mode drain the battery at twice the normal rate? This doesn't sound reasonable to me.

Any suggestions?

Last edited by Wetdogeared; 10-22-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 12:24 PM   #2
dsvick
Wizard
dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dsvick ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-900
The only thing I can think of is that, since they are both wireless and on the same network, they are trying to talk to each other or connect in some way. Maybe the printer is off now and the netbook is trying to find it? Even if this is the case though I can't see it affecting battery life that drastically.

Have you looked at the event log to see if there is anything in there? How about watching your network traffic for a few minutes to see what it is doing? Does it (network traffic) change if the printer is on or off?
dsvick is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert