Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 07-30-2010, 10:16 AM   #1
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

Device: Kobo
Portable Wikipedia on Kobo?

I think it's possible! There are portable versions out there, and I had an SD card with the whole wikipedia (no pictures mind you) on my palm TX. There's nothing like having access to so much knowledge in the palm of your hand!
And Yes, I acknowledge that there are errors and omissions in the Wiki, but for basic facts like, "What is the population of Mongolia", "what year did The Wizard Of Oz premier", etc etc.. it's invaluable.
I would think the speed of the processor would be an issue, and of course navigating around within the text. But are they really insurmountable?
Size is an issue, it was somewhere around 2 Gigabytes (or was it closer to 3 and a half?).
I guess we'd need the Devs to open up some of the operating system and some really good programmer out there to work on it, but I can dream can't I??

And I want "DON'T PANIC" on the Front too! (Also, a Pan Galactic Gargleblaster!!)

Here is the site I got it for my Palm from, http://infodisiac.com/Wikipedia/

And this page has smaller versions http://www.makeuseof.com/tag/4-free-...pedia-offline/

edit: Imagine the wikipedia on a solar powered Kobo in multi languages. Make it really cheap, cheap enough to distribute to third-world nations schools. Take THAT Illiteracy!

Last edited by Gedvondur; 07-30-2010 at 10:20 AM.
Gedvondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 11:43 AM   #2
clintbradford
Older ... slower ...
clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.clintbradford once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kobo, Kindles 2/3/Keyboard/Fire/Fire HD, HDX.
Mixed feelings on this ... The beauty of Wikipedia is that it is constantly updated (also its downfall: Anyone can edit just about anything, whether they know what they are talking about or not). I just don't feel the Kobo is the right device for this - a WiFi-at-minimum unit seems more appropriate.
clintbradford is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2010, 11:57 AM   #3
Gedvondur
Gedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to beholdGedvondur is a splendid one to behold

Agreed. It is ever changing and evolving. BUT something is better than nothing! (~750,000 articles is nothing to sneeze at!).
Gedvondur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:32 PM   #4
zoran
himself
zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.zoran can tame squirrels without the assistance of a chair or a whip.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gedvondur View Post
Agreed. It is ever changing and evolving. BUT something is better than nothing! (~750,000 articles is nothing to sneeze at!).
At least some kind of keyboard is needed.
And search option. Britannica might be fine too.
zoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2010, 12:40 PM   #5
thekidintheclock
thekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipsethekidintheclock can illuminate an eclipse

here's stuff about doing specific articles:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=86059

and something about sticking all of wikipedia in an epub:
https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=31041

seems too huge for just epub. maybe if kobo allowed it as an app or something.
thekidintheclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #6
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Has anyone got any updates on this subject?
It would be great if Wikipedia would fit on one or more SD cards and could be swapped out when necessary.

I wonder how its done on the dedicated Wikireader?

Cheers
Greenmantle
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 07:03 PM   #7
farrioth
Enthusiast
farrioth began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
Some links that may be of use:

2008/9 Wikipedia Selection for schools

Wikipedia:Snapshots

Wikipedia CD Selection

A Selection of Wikipedia as a Plucker File, Direct Link, 44MB

Converting the Plucker file to EPUB seems hopeful. It is allegedly possible to convert a Plucker file (possibly to HTML), but last time I looked I couldn't find any information on how to do so.
farrioth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 01:47 PM   #8
JCKobo
Kobo Product Guy
JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.JCKobo can successfully navigate the Paris bus system.

Device: Kobo Vox
If someone knows a good way to get Wikipedia into ePub, I could probably get our content people to load it into our catalogue.
JCKobo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 05:49 PM   #9
Greenmantle
Greenmantle began at the beginning.

Quote:
Originally Posted by farrioth View Post
Some links that may be of use:

2008/9 Wikipedia Selection for schools

Wikipedia:Snapshots

Wikipedia CD Selection

A Selection of Wikipedia as a Plucker File, Direct Link, 44MB

Converting the Plucker file to EPUB seems hopeful. It is allegedly possible to convert a Plucker file (possibly to HTML), but last time I looked I couldn't find any information on how to do so.
Thanks for the info and the links.
I have downloaded the Plucker file but even though it is a "PDB" file Calibre does not recognise it and cannot convert it.
So, the search goes on!

Cheers
Greenmantle is offline   Reply With Quote