Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Which one should I buy?

Notices

Old 10-13-2010, 05:58 PM   #1
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Looking on opinions on the best eInk screen out there

I am trying to convince my wife to take the plunge on an ereader, so would like some opinions. We don't need WiFi, 3G, music playback or any other bells and whistles - just a 6 inch (or larger) eInk screen that looks fantastic.

epub / mobi doesn't matter, so a Kindle is an option. I'm just wondering if anyone has done screen comparisons between the Kobo/Nook/Kindles/SONY's to see which one truly is the best for ebook reading (novels, mainly). I have a PRS-300 already, so you can use that as a baseline.

I had done some quick tests myself back in the summer, and I recall that the Nook/Kobo looked pretty darn good, but I've never gotten my hands on a Kindle.

Thanks in advance, and sorry if this has been asked before.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:02 PM   #2
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
The new Pearl screens are currently the best e-Ink screens around. The new Amazon and Sony devices are the only ones currently using the Pearl e-Ink screens.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-14-2010, 07:01 AM   #3
AdamV
*Censored*
AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.AdamV can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: Kobo Aura HD (brown), Asus DR 900
i pretty much like SiPix displays... picture quailty is similar to that of Pearl while the page transition is less annoying...
AdamV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 10:22 AM   #4
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamV View Post
i pretty much like SiPix displays... picture quailty is similar to that of Pearl while the page transition is less annoying...
Maybe, though I have heard the screens are not as white, though they are suppose to be more durable (which would definitely be worth something!). That being said, are there any readers available in the USA or Europe that feature them?

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:14 AM   #5
Noah98
Eccentric
Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Noah98 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The nook, ipad 3, Kindle Fire HD (8.9), Kindle Paperwhite
I would say the Kindle 3 has the best overall screen. The new Sonys may be just as good (they definitely aren't better) but the price disparity makes the Kindle the better value.
Noah98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-17-2010, 10:24 AM   #6
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamV View Post
Are you speaking from personal experience? Which reader have you used which has a SiPix screen?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 09:51 PM   #7
roebeet
Connoisseur
roebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-booksroebeet has learned how to read e-books

Device: Kindle 4 Basic, Kobo Aura
Thanks - I actually looked at the Kindle 3 demo at Staples over the weekend, at it looks pretty darn good.
roebeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 10:28 PM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
Some pics.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:47 AM   #9
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
The Kindle also gets you the largest available bookstore and great customer service should you have a problem with your Kindle.

I know you said you don't need WiFi or 3G but I think you will be surprised by how much you end up using it. It is so much more convienent and allows you to buy books when you are not near a computer.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:48 AM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
To be honest, it's not fair to compare a 5" screen with a 6" screen.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:49 AM   #11
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
The Kindle also gets you the largest available bookstore and great customer service should you have a problem with your Kindle.

I know you said you don't need WiFi or 3G but I think you will be surprised by how much you end up using it. It is so much more convenient and allows you to buy books when you are not near a computer.
And the K3 gets you something no other reader gets you.. vendor lock in for DRMed eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:53 AM   #12
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
And the K3 gets you something no other reader gets you.. vendor lock in for DRMed eBooks.
Strange, I thought that everyone of the major book stores vendor locked their DRM. It just happens that some e-readers are able to read that vendor lock while others cannot.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:11 AM   #13
bill_mchale
Wizard
bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.bill_mchale ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch, HPC Evo 4G LTE
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Strange, I thought that everyone of the major book stores vendor locked their DRM. It just happens that some e-readers are able to read that vendor lock while others cannot.
No, the other stores by and large use the same DRM (with, depending on how you look at it, B&N); they use Adobe DRM. Thus, Sony, Kobo, Nook, Pocketbook, Cybook and others, can all read DRM'd books that have been bought from each others' stores. The only real exception is B&N, which uses ereader DRM, but since it has been incorporated into Adobe, in theory any of the other readers can choose to use it -- its just that few do.

--
Bill
bill_mchale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 11:55 AM   #14
SkyDream
Wizard
SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.SkyDream can eat soup with a fork.

Device: PRS-650, iPod touch 4G, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Yeah...that's my Sony.
Why didn't he compared the 650 vs. K3 ?
Anyway, based on this report i would easily prefer the 350/650 over the K3.
Touchscreen simply outrules the K3 keyboard.
SkyDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 04:32 PM   #15
Dulin's Books
Wizard
Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dulin's Books ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox PB360 etc etc etc
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
To be honest, it's not fair to compare a 5" screen with a 6" screen.
nor is it fair for the Amazon affiliate to act like they doing an unbiased review
Dulin's Books is offline   Reply With Quote