Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 11-26-2013, 03:43 PM   #18196
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Joseph Flynn & Bruce Hartman

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
After completing Silent Echo I decided that I quite liked J.R. Rain's writing style. So I grabbed up a copy of the first book in a series of his named 'Vampire for Hire'! The book is titled Moon Dance and is of the genre, Urban Fantasy, which I've become fascinated with in the last few years. Samantha Moon is a wife, a mother of two, and is a PI. She is also a vampire!! I'm 3/4 of the way through it and have decided to TBR the rest of the series!

I got a freebie from Amazon this morning and have decided to make it my next novel to read. It's in a sub-genre in which I've read quite a bit over the last few years. Native American cops and PI's. The book is called Tall Man in Ray-Bans (John Tall Wolf #1) by Joseph Flynn.

Ah freebies. After finishing the freebie, Tall Man in Ray-Bans yesterday evening (I had quite enjoyed it) I was all but decided to start reading the very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spencer series since Jim Butcher almost always refers to this series as his favorite and I have never read even one of them nor ever seen any of the 'Spencer for Hire' TV shows. But I got a freebie this morning that appealed to me enough to make it next on my TBR list. From its metadata this paragraph both grabbed and excited me:

A chilling series of deaths strikes a writers' group in New York, leaving the remaining members to face the suspicion - and finally the certainty - that one of them is a psychopathic killer. Is a sequel to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" being played out in their lives?

So, later today I'll beging reading the Amazon freebie, The Muse of Violence by Bruce Hartman.

Last edited by alansplace; 11-26-2013 at 04:49 PM. Reason: oops!
alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 06:47 PM   #18197
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by alansplace View Post
Ah freebies. After finishing the freebie, Tall Man in Ray-Bans yesterday evening (I had quite enjoyed it) I was all but decided to start reading the very first book of Robert B. Parker's Spencer series since Jim Butcher almost always refers to this series as his favorite and I have never read even one of them nor ever seen any of the 'Spencer for Hire' TV shows. But I got a freebie this morning that appealed to me enough to make it next on my TBR list. From its metadata this paragraph both grabbed and excited me:

A chilling series of deaths strikes a writers' group in New York, leaving the remaining members to face the suspicion - and finally the certainty - that one of them is a psychopathic killer. Is a sequel to Agatha Christie's "And Then There Were None" being played out in their lives?

So, later today I'll beging reading the Amazon freebie, The Muse of Violence by Bruce Hartman.

Spenser is one of my all time favorites and as you probably know by now there is no C in Spenser. These are comfort books for me

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 06:58 PM   #18198
alansplace
Grand Sorcerer
alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.alansplace ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles K-2, K-KB, PW 1 & 2, Voyage, Fire 2, 5 & HD 8, Surface 3, iPad
Cool Oops...!

Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
Spenser is one of my all time favorites and as you probably know by now there is no C in Spenser. These are comfort books for me

Helen

My spelling just shows my lack of experience with the series. I'll get to 'em one of these days.

alansplace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:07 PM   #18199
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post

Helen
+1

When Robert B died, I mourned as though it was one of my parents. I'm still not completely over it.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:15 PM   #18200
BelleZora
Wizard
BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BelleZora ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3, Kobo Libra 2
I'm also a Spenser fan. I enjoyed In Pursuit of Spenser: Mystery Writers on Robert B. Parker and the Creation of an American Hero. It is expensive right now, but occasionally goes on sale.
BelleZora is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-26-2013, 07:20 PM   #18201
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
I am now reading Star Wars: The Lost Tribe of the Sith #7 - Pantheon. It is a good series made up of short novellas.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 07:47 PM   #18202
Dazrin
Wizard
Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dazrin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, various Android devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by jersysman View Post
I am now reading Star Wars: The Lost Tribe of the Sith #7 - Pantheon. It is a good series made up of short novellas.
I didn't realize there was a #7 (or a #8 now that I am looking). I read the first 6 back in 2011 and thought it was complete after #6. I will have to look into this more. The complete set is only $4.27 at Amazon right now too.... hmmm.
Dazrin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2013, 11:04 PM   #18203
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dazrin View Post
I didn't realize there was a #7 (or a #8 now that I am looking). I read the first 6 back in 2011 and thought it was complete after #6. I will have to look into this more. The complete set is only $4.27 at Amazon right now too.... hmmm.
I got the first six free and had to buy the complete book to get the last two. I couldn't stop knowing that there were two more out there.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:37 AM   #18204
Stitchawl
Opsimath
Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Stitchawl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-650, iPhone 5, Kobo Glo, Sony PRS-350, iPad, Samsung Galaxy
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
+1

When Robert B died, I mourned as though it was one of my parents. I'm still not completely over it.
I just finished (last week) the very last book he was writing when he passed away, "Silent Night." It was typical Spenser and typically good! His agent finished the book and did a fine job copying Parker's style.

I've read and re-read, watched and watched again, all of Spenser, Jesse Stone, and Cole & Hitch. I just didn't care for Sonny Randall as much. Not bad, but just not a good fit.

Stitchawl
Stitchawl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 04:59 AM   #18205
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stitchawl View Post
I just finished (last week) the very last book he was writing when he passed away, "Silent Night." It was typical Spenser and typically good! His agent finished the book and did a fine job copying Parker's style.

I've read and re-read, watched and watched again, all of Spenser, Jesse Stone, and Cole & Hitch. I just didn't care for Sonny Randall as much. Not bad, but just not a good fit.

Stitchawl
I agree that Sonny Randall was the weakest of his series, but then even a weak Parker is superior to most of the offerings out there .

I didn't entirely feel that Silent Night captured the "real" Spenser, but will still continue to read the output from Ace Atkins, Michael Brandman et al to help the grieving process.
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 07:25 AM   #18206
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
Next up: The Long Earth by Stephen Baxter and Terry Pratchett.
Which I enjoyed, but more Stephen Baxter, I think, than Terry Pratchett.

Then I read Is It Just Me? by Miranda Hart. Amusing and I found the cringe-worthy moments more bearable on the page than on the screen.

And now I'm reading Phylogenesis by Alan Dean Foster. The first in his "Founding of the Commonwealth" series set in his Humanx Universe. Good so far, without the padding that affected the later books in his Flinx series.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 08:23 AM   #18207
DrNefario
Wizard
DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DrNefario ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, Kobo Touch, Nook SimpleTouch
I've just finished Red Country by Joe Abercrombie, a book I almost bought in hardback a year ago, and have been waiting for the ebook to hit a sensible price ever since.

I liked it as much as everything else he's done. It's set in the same world as his other fantasy novels, and features several recurring characters, so it's probably best to read the other five books first. He seems to have moved a bit further forward in time this time, and has started bringing in hints of technological progress, like the printing press, so I'm not sure how much further he can take this world before it starts to change its flavour.

Red Country is essentially a Western with fantasy trimmings. I don't consider that a bad thing.

I've moved on to Sleepyhead by Mark Billingham, which is kind of uninspired so far. It's a police procedural with an unusual crook and characters that don't seem terribly interesting so far. It's still early days, though, so it might pick up. Or I might regret buying that boxed set of five books.
DrNefario is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 09:14 AM   #18208
Nyssa
Series Addict
Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nyssa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (2nd Gen)
I'm currently going back and forth between the Steele Series and the Parasol Protectorate Series. Very different reads indeed.

The Steele series is "okay" so far. It is African-American Romance centred around four brothers (and their 3 female cousins), all wealthy gorgeous people, who run a family corporation together. Each book centers around one or two of the Steeles finding love whether they were looking for it or not. I've read the first two and would sum them up as Sweet, Cheesy, and Predictable - what my husband would call - Popcorn reads.

The Parasol Protectorate series is Paranormal, Steampunk, (Victorian) Alternative History with a touch of Action, Adventure and Romance. I'm currently reading the second book Changeless. The main character, Alexia, is equal parts brilliant and frustrating - I like her. The surrounding characters are enjoyable as well. While there are Vampires, Werewolves & Ghosts, they are treated in unique ways - taking the basic lore and adding a twist. Alexia is the most unusual twist of all - She is a preternatural. She has the innate power to temprarily negate supernatural abilities, by touch.
Nyssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 01:09 PM   #18209
PurpleStar
Wizard
PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PurpleStar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Clara 2E
I got Takedown Twenty by Janet Evanovich from the library, so I am reading that now. Just started it and I can tell it's going to be a riot as usual.
PurpleStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2013, 02:22 PM   #18210
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Finished Harry Potter and the Methods of Rationality as far as it is written.

No I am rereading Catching Fire before I go and see the movie.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote