Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

View Poll Results: Sony Reader owners: how many Sony products do you own?
One 12 20.34%
Two 13 22.03%
Three 9 15.25%
Four 12 20.34%
Five 2 3.39%
More than five but not everything 11 18.64%
Betraying Sony by owning something not made by them is beneath me 0 0%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-26-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T2
Sony brand loyalty.

Okay, you've bought a Sony Reader. Congratulations!
Is it the only Sony product you own, or are you a secret (or overt) Sony fanatic?
AprilHare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:46 AM   #2
GeoffC
Chocolate Grasshopper ...
GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GeoffC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Muse HD , Cybook Gen3 , Pocketbook 302 (Black) , Nexus 10: wife has PW
1*DVD player (at least 10 years old)
1*Walkman (at least 20 years old)

does that make me a fanatic? or someone who favours no particular brand and makes his choice according to what each device brings to my needs ?
GeoffC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 07:00 AM   #3
Maggie May
Grand Sorcerer
Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Maggie May ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: CYbook Gen3 and Sony PRS 3505 Kindle 3 G Nexus 7 iPad
I have a Sony Walkman............about 20 years old.
One Sony PRS505....................about 10 months.
One Personal CD player.............about 15 years.

I like to buy recognised brands where I know the quality is assured and I'll get value for money.

Mag.
Maggie May is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 07:33 AM   #4
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
In my experience Sony tends to produce well made, middle of the road, products. Nothing that is going to blow you away, but nothing that is going to cause you problems (with the possible exception of their reader software!)
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:09 AM   #5
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
the poll is not very thourough. I had a sony zen years ago. I probably still have a sony TV and/or DVD player (maybe even a VHS player!) floating around somewhere. the readers I couldn't give a diddle about!
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-26-2010, 09:14 AM   #6
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
the poll is not very thourough. I had a sony zen years ago. I probably still have a sony TV and/or DVD player (maybe even a VHS player!) floating around somewhere. the readers I couldn't give a diddle about!
Right now, two. My tv, and my ps3.

I use to have a sony mp3 player, but the mess to put music on it was just horrible.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:39 AM   #7
Latinandgreek
Warrior Princess
Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Latinandgreek ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505; PRS-350, PRS-T1, iPad, Aura HD
Once again I hit the wrong button on the poll. (I should have hit more than 5). The funny thing is, owning this many Sony products is not even intentional on my part, many of them were gifts. I have always been very satisfied with the Sony products that I've owned, and they've all lasted for quite a while. I know my Betamax was built like a tank, and my tv worked for close to 20 years. I might even still be functional - we replaced it because the colours were starting to look wonky.

Last edited by Latinandgreek; 09-26-2010 at 09:43 AM.
Latinandgreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 09:54 AM   #8
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I own one Sony device, and that is one too many. I also used to own Sony Ericsson mobile phone and I do not want another such device from Sony.

The time when anything made by Sony was technically superior to other products of the same class is long gone. Today they just live from their old glory and their products are more expensive and less compatible / standard compliant that competition.

I purchased Sony Reader PRS-500 back when it was the only device with an e-ink screen apart from iliad from iRex. I was hesitating to buy it, because of their Rootkit Fiasco. How can you trust company that is willing to install rootkit and other Bad Things (TM) on your computer in the name of protecting their ... aehm ... Intellectual Property.

There are very few pieces of software that I dislike more than Sony Library Software, which was the only way of how to load books to reader, because they didn't allow USB mass storage driver (you remember me mentioning non compliance with standards). I was extremely happy when Kovid developed LibPRS500 - Calibre predecessor.
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
In addition to some of the products already mentioned, I also have Sony earbuds and a Sony alarm clock. I don't consider myself a Sony fangirl though. I evaluate each product category independently and select what I think is the best option that meets my buying criteria.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Wetdogeared
Storm Surge'n
Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wetdogeared ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: S0ny PRS-300/350/505/700/T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
In addition to some of the products already mentioned, I also have Sony earbuds and a Sony alarm clock. I don't consider myself a Sony fangirl though. I evaluate each product category independently and select what I think is the best option that meets my buying criteria.
I forgot all about our 2 Sony alarm clocks, wireless headphones and earbuds.
Wetdogeared is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 01:40 PM   #11
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
Ereader and laptop and PS.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:08 PM   #12
Pegster
Devourer of Books
Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pegster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-350, Sony PRS-T1, Samsung S5
I answered four (PRS-505, PRS-350, PS1, PS2), and then realised that we have two Sony TVs, and more than likely one or two cd players around the house! Not a "fangirl", per se, but I've yet to have a problem with a Sony product, and would more than likely go for Sony over some unknown brand.
Pegster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 02:39 PM   #13
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
I have a few batteries from sony, does that count?
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2010, 06:33 PM   #14
AprilHare
Wizard
AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AprilHare ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
I have a few batteries from sony, does that count?
Yes, it counts - especially if you bought their recharger.
Old 09-26-2010, 06:34 PM   #15
AprilHare
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by kindlekitten View Post
The poll was intended for Sony Reader owners, as per title..