Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 01-09-2024, 02:41 PM   #1
UserError
UserError began at the beginning.

Device: Paperwhite B024 FW 5.4.4.2
How to run python script?

Hello, I have a K5 PW1 I bought specifically for this purpose

Over the last week or so and guided by stuff on this forum, I have managed to jailbreak it, install KUAL & Kterm on it. I think I've installed Python (via the Screensavers package, referenced here https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh...d.php?t=195474 (K5 FW 5.x ScreenSavers Hack).

I have a small script (Timer/stopwatch) that I wrote (admittedly with outside help) that I want to run on the kindle. This is in Python, but could be in another language if it made life easier?

Can I run a .py script? I can't seem to get out of kterm & cd to other directories & I've tried a few Linux commands but they're not working (but ls does). What do I need to look for to find available commands (-h just gives app commands).

Would it be easier to use a different language? I've seen that .sh scripts can be run and I'm very very lightweight on all of this, only did a bit of VBA a good while ago and realise I'm trying to run before I can walk here, but with online resources I can get there I'm sure and most of my current questions are generic I think.

Ultimately I want the timer to display large characters - a bit like those shown in the photo (note that this is served from a Pi to the browser, I'm hoping to do something much simpler, locally on the Kindle) as I'd rather not need the Pi to be running for this use case but could if it would make life a lot easier.

I've read a load of posts on here about various aspects of what I'm attempting, but can't find much about starting off, especially as an inexperienced person. If anyone could point me to a helpful post or other guides I'd appreciate it. Many thanks.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PerstatExample.jpg
Views:	46
Size:	64.2 KB
ID:	205699  
UserError is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2024, 03:31 PM   #2
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Use kterm to run a python (or any other) script.

Learn to wrap a script as a KUAL extension.

Learn to use fbink to display large characters.

Code:
ls /bin /usr/bin /usr/sbin /sbin /usr/local/bin
to see a list of installed command.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote