Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 04:19 PM   #16
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
Forcing an upgrade on pc and Mac could be a trial before doing something about kindles.

But if they offer a upgrade bribe only to owners of pw2 or older, that would piss off pw3 owners: And that would be a larger number .

the trade in, trade up offer for my pw3 is an unattractive £20, with no % discount on a newer model but I can't see the offers for models I don't own.
Any upgrade and trade offers have so far only been made to US customers, AFAIK. But there are thousands (tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?) of Kindle owners in other countries. What about them?
Sirtel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:36 PM   #17
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Forcing an upgrade on pc and Mac could be a trial before doing something about kindles.

But if they offer a upgrade bribe only to owners of pw2 or older, that would piss off pw3 owners: And that would be a larger number .

the trade in, trade up offer for my pw3 is an unattractive £20, with no % discount on a newer model but I can't see the offers for models I don't own.
Amazon is not offering upgrades. Amazon is making it more difficult to download KF8 to your computer for new eBooks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 04:37 PM   #18
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
Any upgrade and trade offers have so far only been made to US customers, AFAIK. But there are thousands (tens of thousands? Hundreds of thousands?) of Kindle owners in other countries. What about them?
I am in UK. When I go to my content and devices, then to my kindle pw3, I see a " trade in this device "option

I am also mid trade in for a 2018 kids fire hd8. That was a better trade in offer. £10 plus 20% off a new fire. I just need the voucher arrive and then to not expire before they knock £50 off the tablet price again which they do a few times per year. I have a camelcamelcamel price alert set up to tip me off . Price history shows they regularly do £50 off but only for a few days.then it goes back to full price. That seems to also happen with kindles.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:41 PM   #19
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Amazon is not offering upgrades. Amazon is making it more difficult to download KF8 to your computer for new eBooks.
frankly, Amazon is big enough that they could probably afford to piss off all the old e-Ink readers by cutting them off.
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 04:46 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am in UK. When I go to my content and devices, then to my kindle pw3, I see a " trade in this device "option

I am also mid trade in for a 2018 kids fire hd8. That was a better trade in offer. £10 plus 20% off a new fire. I just need the voucher arrive and then to not expire before they knock £50 off the tablet price again which they do a few times per year. I have a camelcamelcamel price alert set up to tip me off . Price history shows they regularly do £50 off but only for a few days.then it goes back to full price. That seems to also happen with kindles.
Ah well, it seems to include other large countries as well, then. I don't see that in my account. So the question is, would Amazon risk abandoning the owners of old Kindles in smaller countries? I think it might. After all, KU is still available only in a handful of countries to this day. Apparently Amazon doesn't care much about their customers elsewhere.
Advert
Old 01-05-2023, 04:49 PM   #21
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
frankly, Amazon is big enough that they could probably afford to piss off all the old e-Ink readers by cutting them off.
I'm afraid you're right. But I do wonder, why would they want to do that? Is someone pressuring them? What would be their benefit in doing so?
Old 01-05-2023, 05:57 PM   #22
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
I posted a thread in the Kindle section for discussion of the policy changes:

https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sh....php?p=4286958
ownedbycats is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2023, 06:08 AM   #23
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Amazon won't do that. We have proof because of Amazon hanging onto Mobi as a format.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote