Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2023, 04:41 AM   #1606
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra H2O, formerly Aura HD
Ok, did some testing with more recently-released free books. ASIN B0BNDDCQB9 (link) won't download. I don't know how to identify a KFX-only book though.
ownedbycats is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:16 AM   #1607
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Quote:
Originally Posted by ownedbycats View Post
Just curious, what books did you two test with? I haven't gotten it on any of my books (both existing and a few freebies I grabbed for testing). Some books are KFX only so 1.17 can't do anything with those.
Hi. Mine was this (released yesterday, which is why I said I don't know whether the new "prohibition" on older Kindle for PC versions also applies to older ones, though my guess is it does) : https://www.amazon.fr/Cours-po%C3%A9...d=VPBGRKOIZ2JF
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 05:49 AM   #1608
ownedbycats
Custom User Title
ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ownedbycats ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I did a bit more looking; found this github ticket. As of a few days ago, new books seem to be KFX-only (at least without getting an e-Ink Kindle). Whether they plan to apply this to earlier books I don't know.
Old 01-05-2023, 06:55 AM   #1609
Jacques Q.
Connoisseur
Jacques Q. began at the beginning.

Device: quite a few Kindles...
Received this e-mail from Amazon (in English though my account is on Amazon France, so this is definitely global) :

"Dear Kindle Customer,

Thank you for using the Send to Kindle service to send personal documents to your Kindle library. We noticed that the following document(s), sent by you at 11:45 AM on Thu, Jan 05, 2023 GMT are in MOBI (.mobi, .azw) formats:
[***].mobi

We wanted to let you know that Send to Kindle will soon remove the ability to send MOBI (.mobi, .azw) files to your Kindle library. Any MOBI files already in your library will not be affected by this change. MOBI is an older file format and won’t support the newest Kindle features for documents. Any existing MOBI files you want to read with our most up-to-date features for documents will need to be re-sent in a compatible format.

Compatible formats now include EPUB (.epub), which you can send to your library using the new Send to Kindle for Web, the free Kindle app. We will be adding EPUB support to the Send to Kindle desktop app for PC and Mac. "

So from what Ownedbycats [do you top my eleven ?...] said, no more way around from KFX (more "aggressive" than KF8, or just impossible to drop without an early version of Kindle for PC) ?
Jacques Q. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 07:46 AM   #1610
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

That's about emailing files to your Kindle device, not downloading to Kindle for PC.
Old 01-05-2023, 08:43 AM   #1611
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by rohitpurohit View Post
Does this device have this feature?
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B92489PD
Yes, it does.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 08:56 AM   #1612
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Amazon has made a change to their service so the books published since Jan 3 2023 can no longer be downloaded using Kindle for PC versions prior to 1.39.

I have updated the first post in this thread to reflect this change.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 09:44 AM   #1613
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo forma, Kobo Libra, Huawei media Tab, fire HD10, PW3 HDX8.9,
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhowell View Post
Amazon has made a change to their service so the books published since Jan 3 2023 can no longer be downloaded using Kindle for PC versions prior to 1.39.

I have updated the first post in this thread to reflect this change.
i can live with that, as I don't rush to buy newly released books,; but will amazon push that date gradually backwards ?

also, how is that affected, if at all, by owning various vintages of eink kindle?. I still have a paperwhite 3 (7th gen)- is that old enough to not support kfx? NO, says google:

[People also ask
Does Kindle Paperwhite support KFX?
Kindle KFX format is the successor to the azw3 format and released with the Kindle Paperwhite 3. ]

so the select transfer via USB to get azw trick will need a paperwhite 2 or older ?

I guess I need to find a free book published yesterday to test my options

Last edited by stumped; 01-05-2023 at 09:51 AM.
stumped is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 10:13 AM   #1614
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
Quote:
Originally Posted by stumped View Post
i can live with that, as I don't rush to buy newly released books,; but will amazon push that date gradually backwards ?
While that is a possibility, I suspect that they are going to keep to a fixed date of books published since the beginning of this year. If they moved the date backward then previously purchased books would stop working and I doubt they want to deal with the customer service implications of that.

Quote:
also, how is that affected, if at all, by owning various vintages of eink kindle?
This change has no effect on e-ink Kindle owners, at least so far.

My worry is that Amazon might stop allowing Download and Transfer via USB for books published after a certain date. That feature is already unavailable for certain categories of books and for free samples. That change would leave only extracting books from the Kindle's storage using USB, which only works for Kindles running old firmware. Hopefully Amazon is reluctant to further disable downloads since Kindle owners who do not have Wi-Fi would complain.

Quote:
I still have a paperwhite 3 (7th gen)- is that old enough to not support kfx? I was looking at trade-in options but rather than take the measly £20 that Amazon are offering, it may be more useful to keep it , if it enables workarounds
It depends on the firmware version installed. If is has firmware prior to version 5.6.5 it does not support KFX. If the firmware is prior to 5.12.2 it supports KFX but DRM removal is possible. Newer than that and you may be out of luck if Download and Transfer goes away.
jhowell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 11:45 AM   #1615
stumped
Wizard
stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stumped ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

i found a prime reading comic book published jan 3rd 2023, available on all devices says the web site blurb. well it checked out OK but
when I try to download it to Kindle for Pc 1.17 I get an error message.
the message is cut off in a small pop up, and ? for help does nothing but the pop up title says
" this item is not available for t",
followed by
"PCMAC_126_delivery_error_upgrade PC"

somewhat insulting as my PC is not in need of an upgrade, just their app. !

no other info appears, but the K for PC app deresisters again when I close and re-open it.

on my paperwhite 3 is downloads and opens OK.,

then I went to my content and devices, asked for it via USb, and got a azw , much to my suprise. But added that to calibre & got locked by drm when I tried to convert it. which is what i expected. Kindleunpack plug in cant open it either.

so amazons defences are not easily bypassed.
I shall return it now, investigation complete.

( i went to prime reading on web site and sorted by most recent. after a page of not released yet the only books released this year were comic books )

Last edited by stumped; 01-05-2023 at 11:49 AM.
Old 01-05-2023, 11:55 AM   #1616
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
then I went to my content and devices, asked for it via USb, and got a azw , much to my suprise. But added that to calibre & got locked by drm when I tried to convert it. which is what i expected. Kindleunpack plug in cant open it either.
You need to configure the deDRM plugin. Hint: serial number
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 12:09 PM   #1617
stumped
Wizard

i thought i did that, years ago. but we owned 2 of paperwhite 3, then sold one. maybe the SN of the one we kept never got input. I always relied on K for PC to disinfect books.
I may test again tomorrow, but Id be amazed if I succeed in defeating the latest changes.
i just connected kindle to PC, but of course there si nothign to see there as I returned the test prime reading book 5 minutes ago and it would have synced immediately
Old 01-05-2023, 02:11 PM   #1618
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob C View Post
I have the same issue as Jacques Q in post 1600. I've been using calibre and Kindle for PC version 1.17 (i.e., the last version before DRM was supported) for several years now, and I've always been able to buy Kindle books from Amazon, load them up into Kindle for PC, use the download function to download an azw file of the book that does not have any DRM, and then load that azw file into calibre. Today when trying that, I get an error trying to download the book in Kindle for PC, saying I needed to download the latest version of Kindle for PC. I did that, but the downloaded azw file has DRM and will not load into calibre. I went back to Kindle for PC version 1.17, and got the same garbage all over again. So it appears Amazon may have now decided to close up this loophole regarding DRM books. I'm not sure where to go from here. Anybody have any ideas?
It's the way Amazon is going with KindleForPC/MAC. You will need a physical Kindle registered to your account to be able to download new Kindle eBooks. Either that or you start buying ePub and convert.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 02:16 PM   #1619
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
You need to configure the deDRM plugin...
Too detailed information. Please edit your post to remove the information on DeDRM that you should not be posting on MR.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2023, 03:30 PM   #1620
ownedbycats
Custom User Title

All this crap did was convince me not to purchase from Kindle anymore. If a book is exclusive there? Oh well, I didn't need to read it.

Tags
k4pc, kindle for pc