Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 10-01-2020, 06:26 AM   #46
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
What was the copyright date of the previous Swedish dictionary? Perhaps 2013 is still better than whatever it replaced?
I believe the Swedish dictionary was only introduced in fw 4.24.x so there was nothing to replace. 2013 better than none at all
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:29 AM   #47
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I believe the Swedish dictionary was only introduced in fw 4.24.x so there was nothing to replace. 2013 better than none at all
Indubitably! It's also only 7 years ago, so the language is likely still relatively current. Very much unlike the inexplicably popular 1913 Webster's English.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:35 AM   #48
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Robin View Post
Indubitably! It's also only 7 years ago, so the language is likely still relatively current. Very much unlike the inexplicably popular 1913 Webster's English.
The popularity could be due to people reading "classics" and wanting to be able to look up words that either no longer exist or have changed since.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:47 AM   #49
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppaea View Post
Perhaps your folk are smarter than mine and do not invent silly new words each year, so 2013 is still all you need?
I hadn't thought of it that way, perhaps you're right! 😂
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 06:48 AM   #50
Number9
Dude
Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Number9 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura One; Kobo Aura H2o; Sony Reader PRS-T3
Quote:
Exactly right. 👍
Number9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:11 AM   #51
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by xyclonei View Post
The Oxford dictionary seems to be live now.
To answer a question that I had asked earlier, the Oxford dictionary does include a copyright notice, so it's immediately obvious when it's installed.

I like it. It's well formatted with comprehensive definitions. I'm not sure if it beats my sideloaded Webster's 1913 dictionary, but since it's so easy to use custom dictionaries now, there's no reason not to use both.

Last edited by the.Mtn.Man; 10-01-2020 at 07:14 AM.
the.Mtn.Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:35 AM   #52
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by the.Mtn.Man View Post
To answer a question that I had asked earlier, the Oxford dictionary does include a copyright notice, so it's immediately obvious when it's installed.

I like it. It's well formatted with comprehensive definitions. I'm not sure if it beats my sideloaded Webster's 1913 dictionary, but since it's so easy to use custom dictionaries now, there's no reason not to use both.
The Oxford English dictionary is formatted differently the the previous dictionary. Also, the definitions are a lot more comprehensive. This is a major upgrade to the dictionary.
Old 10-01-2020, 07:47 AM   #53
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
The Oxford English dictionary is formatted differently the the previous dictionary. Also, the definitions are a lot more comprehensive. This is a major upgrade to the dictionary.
I probably shouldn't do this, but I feel strangely compelled ...

By my reckoning there are 8000+ more headwords in this new Kobo Oxford English than there are in the Kindle's equivalent Oxford English.
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 07:49 AM   #54
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:

By my reckoning there are 8000+ more headwords in this new Kobo Oxford English than there are in the Kindle's equivalent Oxford English.
There goes the argument that Kindles have a better dictionary.

I do have one question about the dictionary. Is there any way to decode the dictionary so we can see the contents of the individual HTML files?
Old 10-01-2020, 07:54 AM   #55
the.Mtn.Man
Guru
the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.the.Mtn.Man ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There goes the argument that Kindles have a better dictionary.
That was never really a valid argument anyway since it has always been trivially easy to install your own custom dictionaries.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:03 AM   #56
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
That was never really a valid argument anyway since it has always been trivially easy to install your own custom dictionaries.
Not really. It needed someone to find a replacement dictionary, convert it to a suitable format, patch and install the firmware. And repeat that when the firmware is updated. The number of people who are interested in jumping through those hoops is pretty small. Most people just want to turn the device on and read. That is a big reason for why Kindles are so popular. People know that they just work.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:06 AM   #57
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Well, English-Spanish dictionary updated... best vocabulary... but a very crowded format (from my POV)
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #58
the.Mtn.Man
Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Not really. It needed someone to find a replacement dictionary, convert it to a suitable format, patch and install the firmware. And repeat that when the firmware is updated. The number of people who are interested in jumping through those hoops is pretty small. Most people just want to turn the device on and read. That is a big reason for why Kindles are so popular. People know that they just work.
Kobo seems to appeal to a different sort of user who isn't afraid of doing something as trivially simple as replacing a file on their device.

Seriously, if you can sideload a book onto your Kobo, then you can add a custom dictionary.
Old 10-01-2020, 08:07 AM   #59
Poppaea
Lucifer's Bat
Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Poppaea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:

This one will haunt you till the end of time

And I will have a hell of a good time pointing it out, everytime it happens
Poppaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2020, 08:16 AM   #60
Uncle Robin
Diligent dilettante
Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Uncle Robin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage; Kobo Libra H2O
Quote:
I've yet to see any of the custom dictionaries mentioned in these forums that were remotely appealing. All seem to have been old enough to be PD, making them of little use. I'm assuming that publishers of modern dictionaries don't take kindly to having their copyrighted works disassembled and reassembled for use on an ereader. Kindle's solution made any such IP circumvention unnecessary, I'm glad that Kobo has caught up.
Uncle Robin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
firmware, firmware release