Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 10-25-2019, 01:51 PM   #16
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I have one reader that I use as a book repository, but even at that it contains only a portion of my library, all sideloaded to an SD card. Wifi is never enabled. Since I also have stopped backing up books, most of my Amazon books aren't on it and no purchases from Kobo in the past three or four years are on it. I let them download directly to my "reading" devices.

My workhorse reader, the Aura One, always has from 200 to 250 books on it, so I have a range of choices when I'm looking for something to read. My other two reading devices have fewer books, mostly have just direct downloads from Kobo, since they tend not to be at hand whenever I'm sideloading which is infrequent these days anyway. Once I finish a book, I delete it.

The repository is for handy access to any book I happen to think of, but I don't want several hundred much less thousands of books on the readers I regularly read on. They don't all have equal appeal and why have to browse 'em all when I'm looking for my next read?
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 02:50 PM   #17
barryem
Wizard
barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.barryem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 4
I have a number of readers, Kindles, Kobos and Nooks. I rarely have more than 50 books on a reader, with the exception of my Nook Glowlight 3. I keep a lot of books on it. I'm not really sure why but there they are.

Lately I've been doing most of my reading on my phone: about 80% or something like that. I keep a lot of books on it as well. Again, I don't really know why. It has a 128gb micro SD card in it so there's no reason not to.

I do sync my books. I like being able to move from device to device. Again, not good reason. It's just what I like to do.

By the way, there is a way to put books on lots of devices and I have cleared this with Amazon so even though it's technically against their TOS, or at least might be, they have no issue with it. And they do know about it. After I make a backup of my book I send it back to my library as a Kindle doc. Then I can read it on as many devices as I want.

Because Amazon is important to me, I depend on them for a lot, I called them a few years ago and asked their Kindle support about this and they said there was no problem. Then, about 2 years ago, when there were articles about them closing accounts due to abuse, I called them again. This time I got a guy who didn't know the answer so he said he'd check and call me back. He called the next day and said nobody there had any issue with this and that some of their support people do it also. Which, to me, makes it okay. At that time I was mostly reading on Kindles and I had several of them, buying a couple every year, and I'd put all the books I expected to read soon on all of them and that became a problem and this was how I solved that.

Another thing I've always done till this latest Paperwhite model is buy the 3G versions. So my entire library is always available to me wherever I might be. With the new Paperwhite I bought one with 3G, 4G now, and when they went on sale I bought a couple with just Wifi. But still most of my Kindles do have 3G/4G.

Barry
barryem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:05 PM   #18
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles & Samsung Tablet
I have been burnt a couple of times, when it comes to falsely recognized ebook limits, and it was painful to get that fixed, with a support guy telling me I needed to wipe my Kindles and start again. I refused naturally, and asked to speak to a more senior person. They of course, were able to fix it their end, and so no need to go to such drastic measures. That though, has left me feeling very lacking in trust. So great as 4G etc is, I don't want to be held up for hours maybe days, when trying to read a book.

It does bring home the benefits and peace of mind of removing DRM, so I should probably get a device dedicated to such backup files. Currently I only have original DRM versions on my Kindles.
Timboli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:25 PM   #19
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
The majority of the approximately 200 owned books on my readers are already read. I acquired and read them sometime over the past 7+ years. There's plenty of space, so why delete? If I ever want to do a re-read they're there. (I do occasionally re-read.)

Finding the unread ones isn't difficult because I usually don't have more than about a dozen books purchased but not yet read; I buy only when I know I will be ready to read in the near future. So all I have to to is sort by date - on the reader if possible, or failing that, on my PC at home - to find the ones I purchased recently.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:45 PM   #20
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Timboli View Post

It does bring home the benefits and peace of mind of removing DRM, so I should probably get a device dedicated to such backup files. Currently I only have original DRM versions on my Kindles.
Exactly, and what if the book you want to purchase is cheaper elsewhere? If you don't remove the DRM, you'll be limited to buying only from Amazon. I often find that Google Play or Kobo has the cheaper version, so I buy from them and convert for my Kindles. And vice versa, of course... I can read books purchased from Amazon on my Kobo and my Nook.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:50 PM   #21
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
I try to have no more than 1500 on my main reader, but I sometimes go over that limit. I'm now 7 over, so I might change that purely arbitrary figure to 1600.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:53 PM   #22
Timboli
Fanatic
Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Timboli ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Huge regular sales here years ago, before the advent of ebooks, meant I fell behind with my reading versus purchases. The sales were no doubt related to the advent of our change to the GST (Goods & Sales Tax), both before and immediately after.

Since then, I have kinda got used to always being behind, and where with physical books it somewhat bothered me, because of possible printing flaws, that is not the case with ebooks. So whenever I see or find an ebook that sounds okay, and not above a fair price, I buy. It helps that I am retired and have cash to call upon in savings. I have certainly done and are doing my bit for the industry and many authors plus publishers.

My kids will have plenty of books when I pass on. Oddly perhaps, my youngest two care more for physical books than ebooks. It kind of feels funny to be more digital than them, especially as they are constantly on their iPhones. My oldest lad has an iPad so he feels a bit differently.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-25-2019 at 05:13 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 04:54 PM   #23
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I try to have no more than 1500 on my main reader, but I sometimes go over that limit. I'm now 7 over, so I might change that purely arbitrary figure to 1600.
...and so it goes...
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 04:56 PM   #24
Timboli
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirtel View Post
I often find that Google Play or Kobo has the cheaper version, so I buy from them and convert for my Kindles. And vice versa, of course...
I suspect that may differ from country to country.

Virtually every time I have compared Amazon to Kobo, Amazon are either about the same price or .50 cents to a dollar cheaper.

The very few times I have actually looked at Google Play, I have not noticed any discount.

That said, I actually have a wishlist type program I run each day, that gives me an update on the Kindle price of all the ebooks I have an interest in.

So in reality, I don't even check Kobo much these days, unless keen for an ebook that is too dear at Amazon. I may even check out Google Play and Smashwords in that case.

Last edited by Timboli; 10-25-2019 at 05:06 PM.
Old 10-25-2019, 05:23 PM   #25
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
^ What is your wishlist program?
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:19 PM   #26
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I don't mess with stripping DRM or format shifting. If there were a book I really cared about and was afraid of losing I might buy a paper copy as a backup. So far that hasn't happened.

The books I buy are normally from mainstream authors and I will compare prices at Kobo, Google Play and Booksamillion.
I keep wishlists at those stores. If I want to buy a new book and don't have a specific book in mind I will scroll through the wishlists to see if anything is on sale.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 06:32 PM   #27
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
Yup I am a proud hoarder/backup copier to my PC, Samsung Note 2, Samsung Galaxy Grand Prime, Samsung S5, Samsung Tablet of all of my 1803 books. The only one that doesn't get new books put on it regularly is my Sony T1. (I've got it recharging right now, and I've got over 200 books to add to it.)

Any of the few rare books that I get that have drm on them get stripped, renamed if in a series, so that they can go on all my devices.

My main reader is my Note 2, (due to commute to & from work) followed by my PC.

The Grand Prime is mainly utilized as a MP3 player connected to my sound system. The S5 is a back up for in case my ancient Note 2 decides to kick the bucket but I will have a phone waiting in the wings! But I take it and my tablet with me when I travel so that I can switch to let the other recharge.

I don't utilize Calibre to do my syncing, I do it the old fashioned way by hooking them up to my and transferring from my PC to device.

I even have all of my books in Mobi format on my PC in case for some unknown reason I decide to get a Kindle tablet. It's highly unlikely but you never know.

So if there is room on the device, I want all of my books on them so that I will always have my entire library at my disposal!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:01 PM   #28
Ricky D'Angelo
Fanatic
Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ricky D'Angelo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-T1, PRS-T-2, PRS 350, PRS 950; Kobo Mini; Kindle PW3, Fire 10
Quote:
Okay, who is guilty?

Guilty of keeping a copy of all their ebooks on every device they own, if more than one?
Not me, I prefer to purchase the same book again on different ebook devices I own. If I purchase a book from Amazon, I read in on a kindle. If I want to read that same book on kobo, I go ahead and purchase it again. NOT.
Ricky D'Angelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 07:58 PM   #29
pwalker8
Grand Sorcerer
pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pwalker8 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Pro, iPad mini, Kobo Aura, Amazon paperwhite, Sony PRS-T2
Quote:
I have been burnt a couple of times, when it comes to falsely recognized ebook limits, and it was painful to get that fixed, with a support guy telling me I needed to wipe my Kindles and start again. I refused naturally, and asked to speak to a more senior person. They of course, were able to fix it their end, and so no need to go to such drastic measures. That though, has left me feeling very lacking in trust. So great as 4G etc is, I don't want to be held up for hours maybe days, when trying to read a book.

My normal process is I buy a book or group of books, then I download it to my main computer. The original file is copied to a back up directory. I have one directory for kindle books, one for Baen books, one for Sony books and one for Apple books. I load the original file into Calibre, where the DRM is removed and I convert the book to epub if necessary. both the original ebook directory and my Calibre directory are backed up to two different drobo raid drives. The Calibre directory is also backed up to dropbox.

It all sounds a bit paranoid, but I would have lost about 20 books when Sony folded it's ebook business about transferred it's customers to Kobo. That is how many ebooks whose contract with Sony has expired and were no longer available.
pwalker8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2019, 09:51 PM   #30
Tarana
Wizard
Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tarana ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PWSE, Voyage, K3, HDX, KBasic 7 & 8, Nook Glo3, Echos, Nanos
Guilty of keeping a copy of all their ebooks on every device they own, if more than one? Due to freebees and obsessive collection, I actually quickly outstripped the number of books I could keep on my Kindle Keyboard. So I've not really developed the habit of having every single book on any device. Had a kindle since 2009, so 10 years now.

When you get a new device, what do you do in regard to previous purchases, now that you have a quite large library of them?
I add new purchases to my main reader automatically.

Do you prefer to read on your newest device, and does that mean your older devices barely get a look in, if ever? I tend to read on the Voyages, but older devices are in circulation. If they aren't getting used, they get sold. Right now, I have my old Nook ST up for sale and considering listing 2 others (they have a psychological grip on me yet) as I have 4 voyages and 4 Kindle Keyboards and a Touch for editing and that's quite enough ereaders. Oh and the Nook Glo3.

The biggest problem I've had is reading books from all the different places that I have purchased from due to the massive number of Amazon titles, hence having one reader dedicated to Kobo and of course the Nook has all the B&N stuff. One ereader now houses all the stuff from Baen, Storybundle, Humblebundle.

Last edited by Tarana; 10-25-2019 at 10:05 PM.
Tarana is offline   Reply With Quote