Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 07-23-2019, 02:27 AM   #16
avivs
avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.avivs ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by cerem0ny View Post
I’ve only really experienced the screen lottery with Kobo devices. It put me off them forever. Apart from a two toned Voyage and those horrible light cones on the Oasis 1 (problems which were apparently universal) my luck has been otherwise flawless. Hoping the KO3 just has a uniformly good screen with no problems.
Time to start posting my KO2 up for sale!
I'm using the Oasis 1 and it's my baby.
What light cones?
avivs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:07 AM   #17
cerem0ny
Evangelist
cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cerem0ny ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra Colour
Quote:
Originally Posted by avivs View Post
I'm using the Oasis 1 and it's my baby.
What light cones?
Google ‘oasis light cones’ I believe it’s the third or fourth result under ‘images’. Not sure if everybody had them: I can recall epic threads on the forums about whether they existed or not. On mine they certainly did. I gave up on the device then and there.

Click image for larger version

Name:	26655921406_8fdb5971f6_b.jpg
Views:	322
Size:	110.1 KB
ID:	172540

Last edited by issybird; 07-23-2019 at 07:43 AM. Reason: Oversize image thumbnailed.
cerem0ny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 07:25 AM   #18
Wearever
Wizard
Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Wearever ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2,Voyage, Kindlle hdx 8.9, Ipad mini 4. Air 2
I think those who have been waiting for colored lights will buy the Oasis 3. The battery difference isn't much larger and it has more lights so maybe a trade off. I do wonder if the battery will be better if used without the colored lights on ? Although most of course will be using them. My Oasis 2 works fine and I don't need the colored lights so I'm in no hurry. I am interested in the battery life of the Oasis 3, so I'm waiting for reviews on that.
Wearever is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 08:35 AM   #19
positively4th
Enthusiast
positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.positively4th ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage, Kindle Oasis, Xiaomi Inkpad X, Xiaomi Inkpalm 5
I went for it only because of the trade in deal. I had a barely used “like new” oasis 1 collecting dust, but has horrible connectivity issues with the battery cover. I would have felt guilty selling that on eBay, but have no guilt whatsoever sending it to amazon for a gift card and letting their faulty hardware be their problem.. and an Oasis 2. Traded them in with the 25% discount on a new kindle and upgraded for about $30.
positively4th is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:10 PM   #20
ArthurianLegends
Connoisseur
ArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane AustenArthurianLegends has memorized the entire works of Homer, Shakespeare, and Jane Austen

Device: Kindle Touch (4rth Gen)
My wife wanted to get this for my birthday, so I added the trade in for the old keyboard which knocked off about 75 dollars with trade in plan; but I'm a bit worried about the contrast, as all the Oasis' and new PW iterations seemed to have slightly washed out looking fonts compared old kindles.

On the other hand, this is my 1st Oasis, so I'm looking forward to a bigger screen, and maybe the weighted fonts will make the text look richer in contrast.
ArthurianLegends is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 12:25 PM   #21
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
I’m getting it, should be arriving tomorrow. I preordered it on June 22 and sent in my
Oasis 2 as a trade-in, so I’ve been a long time without an Oasis. I’m stupidly excited, even though I know it’s really just an incremental update.

Maybe this one will be 'the one'. I know it won’t be though, it never is.

But hopefully it will be good enough to keep me happy for a couple of years. Been converting ePubs to azw3s instead of mobis so I can copy them across directly and get access to the font change abilities in my side-loaded books.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:12 PM   #22
MerdaFit
MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.MerdaFit could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pjama View Post
I’m getting it, should be arriving tomorrow. I preordered it on June 22 and sent in my
Oasis 2 as a trade-in, so I’ve been a long time without an Oasis. I’m stupidly excited, even though I know it’s really just an incremental update.

Maybe this one will be 'the one'. I know it won’t be though, it never is.

But hopefully it will be good enough to keep me happy for a couple of years. Been converting ePubs to azw3s instead of mobis so I can copy them across directly and get access to the font change abilities in my side-loaded books.
If you're already converting stuff, you might want to look into KFX to get enhanced typesetting.
MerdaFit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:44 PM   #23
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Sources are out.

Apparently uses a slightly newer Carta revision. No idea if the backplane is still glass, though.

An ALS appears to have made a return, too.

Minor accelerometer update.

Otherwise, besides the obvious lighting changes, and some WAN shenanigans, it's essentially an Oasis 2 .
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:22 PM   #24
jhowell
Grand Sorcerer
jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jhowell ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles
The Kindle Oasis (10th Generation) Software Updates page has firmware version 5.12.1.1.

Since that is an update I wonder what the initial firmware version will be as shipped.
jhowell is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:54 PM   #25
93terp
Fear The Turtle!
93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.93terp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KV, Kobo Forma, Kobo A1LE, KO3, K3
Quote:
Originally Posted by NiLuJe View Post
What's an ALS?
93terp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 05:09 PM   #26
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The dreaded Ambient Light Sensor ;p.
Old 07-23-2019, 06:13 PM   #27
j.p.s
Grand Sorcerer
j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.j.p.s ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: pb360
Quote:
It already made its return with KOA1.
j.p.s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:22 PM   #28
NiLuJe
BLAM!

I keep forgetting when the hell they dropped it then, don't I? ^^
Old 07-23-2019, 06:23 PM   #29
Sirtel
Grand Sorcerer
Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sirtel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage & Libra 2
Quote:
I keep forgetting when the hell they dropped it then, don't I? ^^
It was on the Voyage, but not on the Oasis 1 (the one with the charging cover). It returned with the Oasis 2.
Sirtel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 06:25 PM   #30
Pjama
Guru
Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pjama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ✍️🏝️♎️ Kobo Clara 2E
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerdaFit View Post
If you're already converting stuff, you might want to look into KFX to get enhanced typesetting.
I had no idea we could covert to kfx! Just been reading a very long thread here on this, and it sounds like a lot of work. I don’t really use the enhanced viewing options so I don’t think I’ll do it right now, but thanks for letting me know - I’ll try it sometime.

EDIT: I'm trying it now, actually, can't resist tinkering.

Last edited by Pjama; 07-23-2019 at 06:49 PM.
Pjama is offline   Reply With Quote