Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 06-11-2019, 09:05 PM   #31
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinH View Post
@lumpynose
As I remember, you posted to the other thread about excessive memory use and sluggishness with the previous release. Please let us know if you see any improvements with this release. It should be much improved except under exceptional circumstances.
Ok, I'll try opening the Preview window and leaving it open. The current project should be a good test; I'm combining 24+ books that I get as 1 html page per book, about 400k+ per book.

Last edited by lumpynose; 06-11-2019 at 09:15 PM.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2019, 09:06 PM   #32
lumpynose
Wizard
lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.lumpynose ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm Pilot M105
Quote:
The amp entity should never be numeric. It is a specially reserved named entity that is basic to xml.
Hmm, I can just see the magic aura glowing around it.
lumpynose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:07 AM   #33
odamizu
just an egg
odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.odamizu ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
In case anyone is unclear on this feature: instead of putting your custom icons for plugins in the actual plugin folder (which can get overridden when updating a plugin), you should put them in the plugin's preference folder. Sigil will look there first for the icon to display on the plugin shortcuts toolbar. If none is there, it will then check the plugin folder to see if there's a "plugin.png" included by the plugin's creator.
Thank you for explaining this.

And thanks again, DiapDealer and KevinH, for all the refinements in 0.9.14. I am having a crappy week (unrelated to epubs) and having 0.9.14 to play with is just what I need to keep my spirits up

Also thank you BeckyEbook for the pull request to enable docking the validation window at the top of the screen.

Sigil developers are the best!

Last edited by odamizu; 06-12-2019 at 02:18 AM.
odamizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:50 AM   #34
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
mistake

Last edited by roger64; 06-12-2019 at 02:55 AM. Reason: mistake
roger64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 02:54 AM   #35
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeckyEbook View Post
QSS IMHO will not work.

The non-breaking space is a space, so you can really apply just underlining. For me default thin underlining seems too delicate.

File: Misc\XHTMLHighlighter.cpp [here]

Original code:
Spoiler:
Code:
    special_space_format  .setUnderlineColor(m_codeViewAppearance.xhtml_entity_color);
    special_space_format  .setUnderlineStyle(QTextCharFormat::DashUnderline);

My idea:
Spoiler:
Code:
    QPen outline(special_space_format.textOutline());
    outline.setBrush(m_codeViewAppearance.xhtml_entity_color);
    outline.setWidthF(1.0);
    outline.setStyle(Qt::SolidLine);
    special_space_format.setTextOutline(outline);
    special_space_format.setUnderlineColor(m_codeViewAppearance.xhtml_entity_color);
    special_space_format.setUnderlineStyle(QTextCharFormat::SingleUnderline);
Thanks Becky and Kevin for this work on such a subject.

If I understood correctly (I got a little help about it), I can now get rid of my "160" preserved entity in the Preferences.

As you may know, French are particularly sensitive about no-break spaces because they have to make an intensive use of them. We use nbsp and nnbsp (coded in their own ways).

Replacing the original two short underlines (Kevin's own) with one bold underline (Becky's own) seems better for visibillity.

Would it be possible to go one step further (à la Calibre) and display a yellow highlight (see screenshot) ? I think the visibility would be even better.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fine.png
Views:	155
Size:	86.0 KB
ID:	171880  

Last edited by roger64; 06-12-2019 at 03:01 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 03:29 AM   #36
asleyam
Enthusiast
asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.asleyam is less competitive than you.

Device: kindle voyage, Kobo Forma, Kobo Aura One
Quote:
Anyone using Mojave try Sigil-0.9.14 in DarkMode yet? I run macOS 10.13.6 but use the 10.14 SDK. Qt 5.12.3 that is used by Sigil-0.9.14 is supposed to have improved DarkMode support for Mac but I can not test it.

And feedback welcome.
I just tested it with my user dark mode qt styles/custom preview removed, and native dark mode is much improved, however it is very stripy. Its the dark background contrasted with light grey that I find distracting within the lines. Also black text on dark background in preview/book view. I can change that with the custom preview style. I will do some more adjustments.
This is the default appearance:

https://imgur.com/jGrAwOm
asleyam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 06:23 AM   #37
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post
Replacing the original two short underlines (Kevin's own) with one bold underline (Becky's own) seems better for visibillity.

Would it be possible to go one step further (à la Calibre) and display a yellow highlight (see screenshot) ? I think the visibility would be even better.
We'll take the suggestions for the "special space" placeholder character under advisement. Though I hesitate to consider a colored highlight since that could easily get lost in a user's customization of the Code View background.

I have to say I'm a little surprised by the request for "less subtlety," though. I mean; if you require a hit-me-over-the-head there's-a-non-breaking-space-lurking-right-here type of thing in Code View, doesn't a highly visible html entity already fit the bill? How is a super-fat, yellow glowing underline more aethetically pleasing than the html entity that's always been available?

Just put   or   back in your Preserve Entities list if you need quickly recognizable, super visible, no-break-spaces in Code View. Amiright?

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-12-2019 at 08:37 AM.
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 07:08 AM   #38
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Horus68 View Post
Windows-x32 pack missing from the release page
I added the 32-bit Windows installer to the release just now.
Old 06-12-2019, 08:55 AM   #39
roger64
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
We'll take the suggestions for the "special space" placeholder character under advisement. Though I hesitate to consider a colored highlight since that could easily get lost in a user's customization of the Code View background.

I have to say I'm a little surprised by the request for "less subtlety," though. I mean; if you require a hit-me-over-the-head there's-a-non-breaking-space-lurking-right-here type of thing in Code View, doesn't a highly visible html entity already fit the bill? How is a super-fat, yellow glowing underline more aethetically pleasing than the html entity that's always been available?

Just put   or   back in your Preserve Entities list if you need quickly recognizable, super visible, no-break-spaces in Code View. Amiright?
I could agree with you if it was just about aesthetics. The point is that it is just about view.

If Becky has been able to change the sign, maybe it would be possible to provide a command that would insert an -ugly if you say so- but visible yellow highlight?

Last edited by roger64; 06-12-2019 at 08:58 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:21 AM   #40
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
I could agree with you if it was just about aesthetics. The point is that is just about view.
I'm sorry, but I still don't quite understand. The non-breaking space entity renders identically to the non-breaking space character in all rendering/reading systems. So the notion of entities vs characters is ALWAYS about aesthetics (and aesthetics only) when it comes to viewing html code in Code View (after the code has been successfully entered, I mean). And because of that, I don't get why seeing fat glowing underlines would be preferable to seeing an html entity.

If it's about being able to differentiate between a normal space character and a non-breaking space character (and I've seen nothing to suggest it's anything but), I get that. They look identical in Code View. That's why we included the dotted-dash in the first place. And that's why it's "subtle." If the solution isn't ultimately about subtlety and personal aesthetics, then I see no point in eradicating the no-break-space entity from your code in the first place. Why replace one visible aberration for another visible aberration in Code View in that case?

If it's about being able to type no-break-space characters with a French keyboard more easily, then the new feature solves that problem quite handily. If after typing them, however, you need to be able to identify them more quickly than the current double-dash allows you to do, what harm in allowing Sigil to convert them to entities automatically for you? And the answer is, of course: "No harm." None at all save for aesthetics reasons.

As I said, we'll take it under advisement, but I simply don't see the point in trading one highly-visible flag for another highly visible flag. Not when they're both being used to point out the same pothole.

Quote:
If Becky has been able to change the sign, maybe it would be possible to provide a command that would insert an -ugly if you say so- but visible yellow highlight?
Becky's only been able to "change the sign" by patching Sigil's source code and recompiling Sigil. Which anyone is free to do if they like.

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-12-2019 at 09:32 AM.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:29 AM   #41
roger64
Wizard

I'm afraid, this topic drifted a bit. It's not about "Why?" but about "How?".

My question was: is it possible to change easily this bold underline for a yellow highlight?

If it's possible easily, let me know please how to do it and I'll take care of it.
If it's not possible, let's drop it.
Old 06-12-2019, 09:36 AM   #42
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
My question was: is it possible to change easily this bold underline for a yellow highlight?
Depends. How good are you at editing c++ and compiling it on Windows?

Quote:
If it's possible easily, let me know please how to do it and I'll take care of it.
See above. And see Qt documentation.

Quote:
Sure. I'm not the one who brought it up in the first place, and I'm not that interested in changing it globally anyway.
Old 06-12-2019, 10:19 AM   #43
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: many
Thanks for the feedback and image! Yes, I agree with you about the stripy-ness. I do believe that different highlighting for alternate lines is controllable in the code. I will look into it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by asleyam View Post
I just tested it with my user dark mode qt styles/custom preview removed, and native dark mode is much improved, however it is very stripy. Its the dark background contrasted with light grey that I find distracting within the lines. Also black text on dark background in preview/book view. I can change that with the custom preview style. I will do some more adjustments.
This is the default appearance:

https://imgur.com/jGrAwOm
KevinH is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2019, 10:26 AM   #44
KevinH
Sigil Developer
KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.KevinH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

It is possible but using a background "highlight" like calibre would require a bit of a overhaul as Calibre has its own dark/light modes (which changes the background colour used to highlight), whereas Sigil lets Qt handle that for us so setting a fixed background colour to "highlight" anything would be a mistake. Having a similar visual appearance between Sigil and calibre is not a goal either project is striving for.

So setting a background colour (a space has no foreground colour) is not something we will be doing.

KevinH

Quote:
I'm afraid, this topic drifted a bit. It's not about "Why?" but about "How?".

Old 06-12-2019, 11:52 AM   #45
KevinH
Sigil Developer

Looking more closely the alternating colours are all in Tables/TreeViews, etc.

From snooping in the Sigil code, I see the following:
Code:
Kevins-MacBook-Pro:Sigil kbhend$ grep setAlternatingRowColors `find ./ -name "*.cpp"`
.//src/Dialogs/ClipEditor.cpp:    ui.ClipEditorTree->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/DeleteFiles.cpp:    ui.Table->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/DeleteStyles.cpp:    ui.Table->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/IndexEditor.cpp:    ui.IndexEditorTree->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/PreferenceWidgets/SpellCheckWidget.cpp:    ui.userDictList->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/SearchEditor.cpp:    ui.SearchEditorTree->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
.//src/Dialogs/SpellcheckEditor.cpp:    ui.SpellcheckEditorTree->setAlternatingRowColors(true);
This is not new. The Sigil code has always used these settings.

In a stylesheet you should look to change or add the "alternate-background-color" property for QTableView, QTableWidget, QTreeView, and QTreeWidget.

See https://doc.qt.io/qt-5/stylesheet-reference.html for more details.

Hope this helps.

KevinH

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback and image! Yes, I agree with you about the stripy-ness. I do believe that different highlighting for alternate lines is controllable in the code. I will look into it.